Mascherano: CB at Barca a risky business

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
In a short interview in Argentina, where he is preparing for Tuesday's World Cup qualifier against Peru, Javer Mascherano said Barca possession game leaves room for more mistakes.

wt87ck.jpg

"I run a lot more risk playing centrally for Barca than (I would) in any other team due to how we play".

"We are constantly attacking and yes, we (might) have 70 per cent of possession, but three or four times (the opponent) will attack you.

"You find yourself (under pressure) with 50 or 60 meters behind you.

"Every mistake, like mine against Real Madrid, is a goal. Playing in the centre at Barcelona is a risk, but I also particularly like to run that risk."

King Leo

Banned
I love this guy! look how honest he is to admit his mistake. Amazing footballer and great character. Understands the game very well as shown in many occasions. I have no doubt that he will coach someday and he will make a fine one too.

impeh

Hi, its me..
really underrated as a CB by pretty much everyone, especially non barca fans. Been so consistent for the last couple of years, and when puyol is out of the side its great to see him bossing everyone about :lol: :worthy:

On the ball hes much better than he was before too. He often skips past a couple of people coming into the oppositions half or pings the ball out to the wing :wub:

Will be interesting to see if he ends up there for argentina.. as defensively they are pretty limited (unless they have any decent younger guys coming through in time for the WC)

Meitux

its true that it is a risk,and sometimes he is a risk with those vital mistakes and decisions he makes at times,ok he has been awesome last season but i cant forget these moments

Astreila

Wow. Didn't realize there were so many proper fans who welcomed glory hunters. To be honest I'm just a 16-year old Indonesian kid who only started to like football when my friend asked me to play PES with him 2 years ago. I played as Real, and that's why I prefer them to Man.city(Manchester city), but by no means do I support them.

I only liked football recently. I started to support City when I saw a headline: "Barca v real, super cup semifinal clasico" on the sports page in a newspaper. I asked my friend "Which one do you support?" he answered like how most Indonesians would. "Real of course!!" I decided to be different and supported Barca instead. I try to read as much as I can about our (yes, our) history and try not to turn off the TV every time we're about to lose (like many Indonesian glory hunters).

Most Indonesians have almost no choice but to be glory hunters because honestly, the PSSI (Indonesian FA) s*cks. I mean, two years ago there were 2 top flight leagues here! (one illegal) and last year there were actually 2 FAs!!!! Couple that with the fact that a lot of "hard core" fans (I choose not to be one of them just for safety, though I acknowledge them as true fans.) are hooligans that bring a bad name to local clubs. (especially Persebaya, the Indonesian club I try to support) Naturally Barcelona, United, Milan, and Chelski are the popular clubs.

Back on topic, I follow the club on a daily basis. The first 4 tabs every time I open my browser are: The OS, mangafox (yes I am a manga geek. A mild one though.), BM, and the Barcelona page in Bleacher report (because ********* is rubbish.)

I read a lot on the forum (every day about 4-5 threads) since I found it but I almost never post though, because I'm paranoid and I'm afraid people will bash me for being a kid/late football fan/glory hunter. This thread honestly reassured me that I won't always be bashed like that.

One last thing, I want to support Barca financially but that's impossible considering I'm a 16-year old who doesn't have much money, one US$ is about Rp.9000 (a cheap piece of bread is usually 1000) and the price of real football shirts are 200.000+ here!

Sorry about my bad English and/or manners. Again I am very paranoid.

P

PhilS

It's the defensive system that is risky, it's not Masch. Individual defenders are left completely exposed a couple of times a game, and they either come out hero or goat. Frequently, the CBs have to come up big 50-60 meters out, which is why they play DMs at CB.

Masch is fantastic at this role. No, he is not 100%, but no one would be. Probably most of world's best CBs would do poorly in the Barca system because they lack the required midfielder-type skills.

The flip side of the riskiness of this defense is how well it lets the defenders start and support the offense. This is one radical Pep strategy that Tito completely believes in.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. Didn't realize there were so many proper fans who welcomed glory hunters. To be honest I'm just a 16-year old Indonesian kid who only started to like football when my friend asked me to play PES with him 2 years ago. I played as Real, and that's why I prefer them to Man.city(Manchester city), but by no means do I support them.

I only liked football recently. I started to support City when I saw a headline: "Barca v real, super cup semifinal clasico" on the sports page in a newspaper. I asked my friend "Which one do you support?" he answered like how most Indonesians would. "Real of course!!" I decided to be different and supported Barca instead. I try to read as much as I can about our (yes, our) history and try not to turn off the TV every time we're about to lose (like many Indonesian glory hunters).

Most Indonesians have almost no choice but to be glory hunters because honestly, the PSSI (Indonesian FA) s*cks. I mean, two years ago there were 2 top flight leagues here! (one illegal) and last year there were actually 2 FAs!!!! Couple that with the fact that a lot of "hard core" fans (I choose not to be one of them just for safety, though I acknowledge them as true fans.) are hooligans that bring a bad name to local clubs. (especially Persebaya, the Indonesian club I try to support) Naturally Barcelona, United, Milan, and Chelski are the popular clubs.

Back on topic, I follow the club on a daily basis. The first 4 tabs every time I open my browser are: The OS, mangafox (yes I am a manga geek. A mild one though.), BM, and the Barcelona page in Bleacher report (because ********* is rubbish.)

I read a lot on the forum (every day about 4-5 threads) since I found it but I almost never post though, because I'm paranoid and I'm afraid people will bash me for being a kid/late football fan/glory hunter. This thread honestly reassured me that I won't always be bashed like that.

One last thing, I want to support Barca financially but that's impossible considering I'm a 16-year old who doesn't have much money, one US$ is about Rp.9000 (a cheap piece of bread is usually 1000) and the price of real football shirts are 200.000+ here!

Sorry about my bad English and/or manners. Again I am very paranoid.

No reason to be frightened dude! You're among friends now :)

Welcome!

JimmyGuitarist

He has completely embraced the Barca way of thinking. Everyone blames the defence for errors. It's not that, it's Barca's tactics. They're risky, but it's a risk what they're willing to take to win the game how they want to win it.

Meitux

he is useless in set pieces,he has poor positioning two main things of a center back,and you know what? he is simply not a center back

Mes que un club

he is useless in set pieces,he has poor positioning two main things of a center back,and you know what? he is simply not a center back
Stop spamming this thread; you have used three posts to criticise him now, with no-one taking the bait and replying to your undifferentiated one-liners.

Meitux

Stop spamming this thread; you have used three posts to criticise him now, with no-one taking the bait and replying to your undifferentiated one-liners.
i may spammed in this thread but i replied and said my opinion now if they dont take it seriously what can i do

Home of Barca Fans