Karim Benzema

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
On the other hand, Higuain can't go a minute without scoring a goal. I was worried about his sulking. He fades sometimes and I don't know why.

El Gato

Villarato!
Who do we need more though? Last season we need a combination of Karim and Higgy who both scored around 30-35 goals. If Karim doesn't appear soon enough, we might struggle, unless Modrić or Di Maria (or Callejon?) produce to fill that gap.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
We do not need anyone, we did the right thing and kept Higuain. The team jsut needs to grind out results soon to get going, the rest can come in a month or so.

El Gato

Villarato!
ATM no, we don't. Later on, in winter when we tend to drop points, yes. Which is why I hope Karim doesn't dwell on his poor performances too long and starts to work his ass out like Higuain did last year to regain his spot. Meanwhile Higgy can bang them in on a weekly basis. I don't mind.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I don't care for Benzema to do anything except one thing. I want to have him full fit for all CL matches and performing at the highest level possible. Higuain can easily take care of the league with cameo appearances in the CL.

PearLBLacK

Banned
He'll start scoring soon. The first month of the season is always tough with all of the international matches. The most important thing is neither of them gets injured.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Higuain is a better player because they are both strikers, yes The Benz is more complete but when he can't score he just gets in the way. Higuain doesn't get in the way.

And it's not like Higgy is some tap in artist with no touch or ability to pass, I think Meta started that myth and it's simply not true.

El Gato

Villarato!
You know, your argument of "Higuain not getting in the way while Benzema does" can be fairly easily turned on its head. For instance, imagine if Higuain actually DIDN'T score against Barca at Santiago in the Supercopa and he did miss all these chances. What would the opinion be then? Did he not get in the way and everyone else just did fuckall to get the scoreline right?

Higgy a tap-in artist :lol: What was Meta smoking?

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
That is not what Meta said but that is what it got derailed into and the longer the discussion carried on the more extreme the thoughts became. What Meta said was that Benzema helps the entire team and link up play up front because he is a better player over all and can assist or lay off Ronaldo better but not only can, he DOES. Not that Higuain can't he just doesn't because he doesn't bend the knee for Ronaldo whereas Benzema does. To a certain extent it is true, I mean if we had a more natural balance and Ronaldo wasn't the goal threat he is, Higuain would be more beneficial as he would run the last defender into the floor.

Benzema thrived in his sucking up to Ronaldo, and has balanced the system where Ronaldo creates a massive vacuum.

El Gato

Villarato!
Agreed. Meaning there's nothing wrong with what Benzema is doing and what Higuain isn't. It's the problem with the people not realizing what it leads to.

Ursegor

World Champion
Not that Higuain can't he just doesn't because he doesn't bend the knee for Ronaldo whereas Benzema does.

He's Argentinian, what do you expect? It looks almost comical how naturally he's doing for Messi in the national team what he isn't for Ronaldo. Long story short:

#freeHiggy

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Agreed. Meaning there's nothing wrong with what Benzema is doing and what Higuain isn't. It's the problem with the people not realizing what it leads to.

Each play their role, and it has gotten us the league last year and almost the CL final. So we should improve on that.

And Ursegor, being Argentinian has nothing to do with it, Higuain is a smart player, his only weakness is his body strength and his dribbling. He has set up many goals before, and his delivery is outstanding it is just that he knows his role for Madrid and he knows how to do it so he focuses on it. Benzema is fuckin' strong, he can push any defender off of him no problem (he floored Adriano last game) and has some trickery to him on the dribble so it helps him hold onto the ball, enough so that Ronaldo can start his run and lay the ball off to him. Higuain has done it for Madrid before Benzema and did it with a much weaker team and won the league. And he would do it again for Madrid but what is the point? Plus he was fighting for his spot on the team and the only thing that would keep him at Madrid is his number of goals, he knew it, the board knew it, Mourinho knew it and he delivered just that. Everyone also judges Higuain based on last season, when he was injured, operated and recovering so working himself way too hard (which he did btw to get back into the team much earlier than expected) wasn't an option, just goals. Now that he is over all feeling better, IS better conditioned he is delivering more than just goals, so to me it is back to normal.

This is not to say that Higuain has more to him than Benzema, no, because Higuain doesn't perform in the CL stages and is not a hold up player, which is sometimes absolutely necessary.

So lucky to have them both, so happy to see Higuain stay at Madrid. I was seriously really sad when rumors came out saying he'd leave because what we would have missed more than just top 5 strikers in the world, we would have missed his competitive nature to actually act as a catalyst in Benzema's resurgence into top strikers. Remove Higuain from the formula and Benzema has 0 competition and would go back to sulking.

Home of Barca Fans