Barca signs Alex Song

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
FC Barcelona and Arsenal FC have agreed the transfer of Alex Song to the Camp Nou. The fee is 19 million euros.

The Cameroon international midfielder will sign a 5 year contract with a release clause of 80 million euros

On Monday he’ll have a medical and then join the rest of the squad for the official team presentation at the Gamper

Song_4_120729MAFC.v1345302637.JPG

impeh

Hi, its me..
reasonable price considering his age, and that the other alternative (JM?) would have probably been around twice as much.

Dont really want to see him at CB, but look forward to seeing what he can bring to the midfield. Could make his debut in the classico, no?

dramake

I am not sure how much we need him...

Anyway he is a very good player and will help us a lot. But I don't want to see him playing as CB, please.

F

Flavia

Good price. I thought he could be overprice, but that is fair. I'm still not sure why Barça needs him. But now, as he is a Barça player, I wish he succeeds as well as Masch did.

F

Flavia

Alex Song: Experience, versatility, power and skill

WWW.FCBARCELONA.CAT 08/18/2012 17:55

After seven years at Arsenal, centre back and midfielder Alex Song has proven to be a powerful figure who distributes the ball wonderfully

Alexandre Dimitri Song was born in Douala, Cameroon on December 9, 1987. In 2004, he moved to France to play professional football for Bastia when aged just 17. After making 32 appearances in his first season, he caught the eye of Arsenal, but despite joining the London outfit, towards the end of the 2005/2006 season he went out on loan to Charlton Athletic.

A year later he returned to the Gunners, and from 2007 started featuring regularly in Arsene Wenger’s line-ups. By the age of 24 he was a first choice defensive midfielder, and he has gone on to make more than 150 appearances in the Premier League, scoring seven goals.

Song is also an important member of his national team, for whom he has been an automatic choice since signing for Arsenal. He has more than 40 caps to his name, and was in the side that finished second at the 2008 African Cup of Nations, held in Ghana and won by Egypt.

Moving forward

Although he started out as a centre back, Song’s combination of powerful aerial play, rapid movements and solid defending also made him ideal as a defensive midfielder, a position where he is now regarded as one of the finest in the world. He is also extremely skilful and distributes the ball well. Being just 15 cm shy of two metres, he is also a valuable asset at set pieces.

Home of Barca Fans