FC Barcelona B

serghei

While I don't think any of current B players should have been with 1st team squad I don't agree with this. It is a "team" after all. If there are 5 players who belong to 1st team football but the rest isn't good enough for 3rd division promotion they won't gain promotion.
Same concept that Messi can't win a tournament by himself in Argentina

Hmm, normally I would agree with that. But it's the third league we are talking about. Shouldn't be that hard to promote in the 2nd league. And most of the players are La Masia anyway. The level in La Masia has clearly dropped when compared to the past 4-5 years. Finishing 10th in the third league (last year), is miles away from being 3rd - 8th - 9th - 3rd in Segunda.

Some dudes on this forum spoke highly about Marlon, Nili, Tarin, Palencia, Kaptoum, Carbonell, Alena. Gumbau played even for the first team. Those are 7-8 players. Not 2, not 3.

They form the core of the team, and if the team can't even promote in Segunda, maybe they aren't as good as we think. Damn, some speak about Palencia as if he's some sort of world class talent. I've watched some videos with him and he's the definition of average.

Last edited:

Windhook

In Segunda B there is no direct promotion, which kinda sucks for me. The winners of the two champions playoff are promoted directly, the losing teams are thrown back to the 2nd-4th place playoffs, 1/2 finals.

There is no guarantee on Marlon's involvement with the first squad next season with the new manager. I'm one of the guys here that doesn't get it. It's like reaching the final of the Champions League but playing Dmytro Chygrynskiy instead of Gerard Pique.

khaled_a_d

Hmm, normally I would agree with that. But it's the third league we are talking about. Shouldn't be that hard to promote in the 2nd league. And most of the players are La Masia anyway. The level in La Masia has clearly dropped when compared to the past 4-5 years.

Some dudes on this forum spoke highly about Marlon, Nili, Tarin, Palencia, Kaptoum, Carbonell, Alena. Gumbau played even for the first team. Those are 7-8 players. Not 2, not 3.

La Masia has dropped a lot since Rossell took over at least (whether he is a reason or not) and all it had to show was false results tbh.

I don't want promotion to Segunda,it is meaningless . What is important is to develop talent and make them ready to some extent for 1st team.
Pedro wasn't even considered good for a relegated team in 06/07 Barca B,same for Busquets and two years later they were in 1st team.
La Masia took a major hit when they stayed 5 years in Segunda, very few teams has been able to develop players probably in that division,all Spanish teams develop in 3rd division and then either promote or loan players to small Liga team or 2nd division team.

One of the reasons I think of that is due to level of segunda being too good to focus in developing players,coaches know they are gonna fired anyway if they got relegated and know a good season in 2nd division earns them a place in Liga coaching candidates. Crujif himself talked about results of reserve team should never be considered.

As for current team,most of the names you mentioned are obviously over hyped, it is the problem of fans acting like scouts,they only watch their teams and don't even compare those players to other talented prospects in same league (or worldwide since Barca is one of the top teams globally) and they see good games and think Oh,those kids should have been in 1st team,they must be better than Gomes/Vidal/Roberto etc
That doesn't deny their might be few players that could be the level of first team in the future (Alena/Marlon and may be Cucu) or Liga (Palancia)
Kaptoum is talented but took step back just like Dongou before him,may be injuries but such waste of talent. Tarin was injured (and I kind of have doubts about his talent)

Overall I kind of agree that those players aren't that ready, but I won't put too much on results judging possibilities of certain players joining 1st team. As I said this can be dangerous to our youth system

navidjaan

They met another champion who were better than them. Simple as that.

The funny thing is when people talk as if La Masia lost last night. There were only 5 La Masia players in the entire squad picked.

Windhook

I don't want promotion to Segunda,it is meaningless .

Hmm... why meaningless? They finished first in their Segunda B Group and next season (IF) they play in Segunda against tougher opponents the youngsters will only benefit from that.

I agree most of the players in Barca B are nowhere near the level required for Barcelona first squad. And those guys that are 23-25 years of age, they know there is no chance of breaking in to the first team.

JamDav1982

On yesterdays game there is none of the B team ready for first team.

Alena looked decent in flashes but was sloppy and dont think he is ready for full promotion yet. Cucu looked quite tidy on ball in first half then barely seemed to see it in second.

Te league Barca B play in is worse than third league. It is a diluted third tier level with some awful teams.

God Serena

Hmm, normally I would agree with that. But it's the third league we are talking about. Shouldn't be that hard to promote in the 2nd league. And most of the players are La Masia anyway. The level in La Masia has clearly dropped when compared to the past 4-5 years. Finishing 10th in the third league (last year), is miles away from being 3rd - 8th - 9th - 3rd in Segunda.

They form the core of the team, and if the team can't even promote in Segunda, maybe they aren't as good as we think. Damn, some speak about Palencia as if he's some sort of world class talent. I've watched some videos with him and he's the definition of average.

Marlon is with the first team, Tarin is injured, Kaptoum didn't even play (I believe he's injured), and Gumbay was ABSOLUTELY NEVER spoken of positively by ANYONE but the trolling idiot Lucho, and I don't believe any of those other guys have even the smallest bit of hype behind them.

And why are you harping on La Masia? This Barca B team plays less cantera players than the first team most of the time.

JamDav1982

Marlon is with the first team, Tarin is injured, Kaptoum didn't even play (I believe he's injured), and Gumbay was ABSOLUTELY NEVER spoken of positively by ANYONE but the trolling idiot Lucho, and I don't believe any of those other guys have even the smallest bit of hype behind them.

And why are you harping on La Masia? This Barca B team plays less cantera players than the first team most of the time.

Kaptoum came on I think at least looked like him although stopped watching as close by that time as game over.

Gumbau although not going to be good enough for first team was maybe Barcas best player yesterday.

The best Barca B teams under Pep and Lucho were always a mix of La Masia players and other more experienced players.

The last time they tried a team of young la masia players it was a disaster and they got relegated and almost relegated again.

serghei

We don't have a single certified talent in La Masia at the moment, from what I've seen. There are some players that maybe can do it at the first team, but the feeling is not one of almost sure success.

Last edited:

Zinedinho

This is professional football, even if it's third division. Of course you need a mix of La Masia and experienced players. Busquets and Pedro came from 4th division, and they didn't even look that great. The likes of Xavi and Iniesta played third division before getting promoted. They are widely considered two of the finest midfielders of all time, and anyone who thinks it was a walk in the park for them to play third division back then is naive.

This is the normal state of affairs for a Barça B team, and has been for quite a long time, regardless of how talented some of our prospects are/were. I still think there are currently two players with great potential to be part of the first team: Aleñá and Cucurella. Ok, let's add Marlon, but he was already a young and experienced pro before joining the club. The rest? They are clearly good enough for the category, and some of them have the potential to play in first or second division. It's always worked like this.

Zinedinho

We don't have a single certified talent in La Masia at the moment, from what I've seen. There are some players that maybe can do it at the first team, but the feeling is not one of almost sure success.

I only remember one certified talent: Messi. None of the others were an almost sure success. Not Xavi, not Iniesta. And Puyol was almost thought of as a joke before getting a chance. Young unproven players are young unproven players. It's never easy to make that jump from third division to world class football.

navidjaan

Of course there should be a mix, but the mix has been disproportional against youth players, in an attempt for promotion two years in a row now. Especially the attacking players have been big signings (compared to a B team) only since 2015, which could be a problem soon for the youth attackers as there won't be room for all, and there are like 4 Juvenil A attackers who are all good enough to be on this B team: Mboula, Perez, Lee and Abel Ruiz. Abel is still young, though, but given the packed B attack (Cardona, Alfaro, Romera, Perea), where not even Mujica is getting any chances, it could mean that there would only be room for Mboula next season.

Let's just say that if this team, in which so many ressources have been poured in, doesn't promote, it's not just the coach who should be held for the responsibility, but also and especially Pep Segura. The B team CANNOT continue like this. The mix is healthy and natural, and helped Pep and Lucho's B teams, but there is a limit.

JamDav1982

Of course there should be a mix, but the mix has been disproportional against youth players, in an attempt for promotion two years in a row now. Especially the attacking players have been big signings (compared to a B team) only since 2015, which could be a problem soon for the youth attackers as there won't be room for all, and there are like 4 Juvenil A attackers who are all good enough to be on this B team: Mboula, Perez, Lee and Abel Ruiz. Abel is still young, though, but given the packed B attack (Cardona, Alfaro, Romera, Perea), where not even Mujica is getting any chances, it could mean that there would only be room for Mboula next season.

Let's just say that if this team, in which so many ressources have been poured in, doesn't promote, it's not just the coach who should be held for the responsibility, but also and especially Pep Segura. The B team CANNOT continue like this. The mix is healthy and natural, and helped Pep and Lucho's B teams, but there is a limit.

The mix hasnt been disproportional this season. It has been fine and any young La Masia player that warrants a place in the team has had it.

If Mboula cant get in that front three then he is not good enough. There is nothing special for him to get past.]

Can name as many young players that should get a chance as want but last time went down road of relying on too many young players it was a disaster.

Having experience in team allows the younger players to come in and develop more at their own pace and keeps team at a higher level.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Hmm... why meaningless? They finished first in their Segunda B Group and next season (IF) they play in Segunda against tougher opponents the youngsters will only benefit from that.

I agree most of the players in Barca B are nowhere near the level required for Barcelona first squad. And those guys that are 23-25 years of age, they know there is no chance of breaking in to the first team.

I have already mentioned why
The focus shouldn't be on results,caring about it,caring about the level you play is wrong.
It is more difficult to develop a reserve team in Segunda,many academies has performed better in 3rd division than Segunda,Barca,RM,Villarreal,Bilbao all developed talent better in 3rd division than 2nd division. If you want your players to experience second division football you loan them.
Cucu would probably haven't been promoted this year as he is now if it was in 2nd division,their would have been less youth.
Reserve teams is about players playing with and against men who plays football to earn a living,with coaches more focused on developing the players (specially the more talented) than results.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I do agree with that.

In Segunda, the aim becomes to stay in the division, which is when other players are prioritized over youth players which goes against the very concept of Barca B.

Even Asensio earned his promotion to Mallorca 1st team after playing and impressing in Tercera.

Home of Barca Fans