Nextgen Series 2012-2013

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Our squad for this upcoming season's Nextgen Series was made public a couple of days ago. For those of you who have not heard about it, it is a tournament for players born in 1994 or later, although each club is allowed to bring three players born in 1993. This is only the second season, and the tournament has grown noticably since last year. Some of the biggest clubs in Europe are participating, including: Ajax, Arsenal, Athletic Club Bilbao, Borussia Dortmund, Chelsea, Juventus, Liverpool, Sporting Club Portugal and the reigning champions Inter.

Barca will start in Group 1 along with Anderlecht, Tottenham and Wolfsburg.

Our squad:

Goalkeepers:
Sergi Tienda
Fabrice Ondoa

Defenders:
Alejandro Grimaldo
Brian Olivan
Lucas Gafarrot
Carlos Julio Martinez
Frank Bagnack
Robert Costa
Roger Riera
Elohor Godswill
Xavier Quintillá

Midfielders:
Sergi Samper
David Babunski
Fernando Quesada
Pol Calvet
Lionel Enguene
Joel Huertas
Pau Otero
Olivier Moussima

Forwards:
Jean Marie Dongou
Sandro Ramirez
Adama Traore
Alain Richard Ebwelle
Cristian Herrera
Toni Sanabria

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Matches:

Wednesday 15/08/2012 20:00 CEST
Barcelona - Anderlecht

Note:
CEST = Central European Summer Time (GMT/UTC+2, BST+1)
CET = Central European Time (GMT/UTC+1)

Last edited:

Yugi

Xavi Quintilla is just 15! I heard just praise on this guy and actually seen him play as DM too, but he is natural CB....I feel he could come good in 4 years
also I am excited about Roger Riera, he is just classy as hell

also it will be amazing to watch Samper with Enguene in midfield, these two could become next Xavi and Iniesta after Toral has gone to Arsenal
our attack is top-notch with blistering speed and goal scoring machines
this Juvenil A looks much much better than last years, it could even be better than Deulofeu-Espinosa-Rafinha-Gomez Juvenil A
excited about this guy for sure!

Visca el Barça

I'm looking very much forward to see all these great talents in action in the NextGen Series. Going to watch as many games as possible.

Dimonsss

I like this squad. However wing-backs looks weaker (I dont think Grimaldo will play very often) if we compare them to what we have seen last season, it has been compensated with very gifted centre backs. Midfield looks very solid. Quesada plays better and better, Babunski and Calvet had very good tournament last week (Otten Cup) and Samper is Samper. As for Enguene, he could become a jocker. Attack is even better than last year. Nice to see Sanabria in this list. I hope he could play in the league soon, too...
The only question I have - where is Maxi Rolon?

funsize1984

Dongou back in Juvenil A? I think the attack and midfield are scary. Adama, Dongou, Samper, Enguene and a dash of Grimaldo. crazy.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
U18 team set for NextGen clash against Anderlecht

Jordi Vinyals' men will start their NextGen Series bid on Wednesday, August 15, at 20.00 (Barça TV). The Azulgranas will host the Belgian team at the Miniestadi

FC Barcelona’s U-18 team, trained by Jordi Vinyals, will be the first FC Barcelona football team to take to the field in an official tournament. Vinyals’ men will kick off their NextGen Series bid on Wednesday, August 15, at 20:00 (live on Barça TV) against Anderlecht, a team that brought up the likes of Vincent Kompany and Romelu Lukaku, at the Miniestadi.

Just days before the tournament, on August 11, the U-18 team will make the trip the capital of the Balearic Islands to play a friendly against RCD Mallorca in the Tournament of Light.

Second year in the NextGen Series

It’s worth mentioning that Barça have been placed in Group 1, along with Tottenham Hotspur and Wolfsburg, besides Anderlecht, of the NextGen Series.

After a pre-season stage in El Montanyà, the Azulgranas travelled to Holland to play in PSV’s summer tournament. The Dutch team’s summer tournament showed a preview of what spectators can expect in the first match of the NextGen Series. Vinyals’ men won the tournament over stiff international opposition that will also feature in this season’s edition of the NextGen Series, like Ajax, Zenit St. Petersburg, AZ and Copenhagen, as well as Anderlecht.

From 16 to 24 teams

The NextGen series has increased the number of teams from 16 to 24 for the 2012/13 season. The teams have been divvied up into six groups of four. The U-18 teams will play a Champions League style format, where each team will play against their opponents both at home and away in the group stage. The Azulgranas, therefore, will play a total of six matches in the first phase of the competition.

The two best teams of each group will progress to the Round of 16, along with the four best third-place finishers.

Last season, Barça’s U-18 A team fell 0-3 in the quarter-finals to Ajax Amsterdam. The Dutch team made it to the final but lost to Inter Milan in a penalty shootout.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football...team-set-for-nextgen-clash-against-anderlecht

Wouterinho

I think we'll need our best 11 to beat Anderlecht. Apparently they are playing with their reserve squad and even guys like Praet (close to a starter for the first team) is playing against Barcelona.

Piqué

I think we'll need our best 11 to beat Anderlecht. Apparently they are playing with their reserve squad and even guys like Praet (close to a starter for the first team) is playing against Barcelona.
Praet only plays because he just got back from injury and needs some match fitness. In Anderlecht, the really big talents play first team football immediately when they turn 16 (like Lukaku or Kompany), in Barcelona, they play in Barça B first (because of the great level of the first team). Not much of a difference there.

Dongou & Grimaldo also will play, that is the same thing. In Anderlecht, they would be almost starters in the first team.

That said, watch out for Praet & Kabasele (our Dongou).

Wouterinho

Praet only plays because he just got back from injury and needs some match fitness. In Anderlecht, the really big talents play first team football immediately when they turn 16 (like Lukaku or Kompany), in Barcelona, they play in Barça B first (because of the great level of the first team). Not much of a difference there.

Dongou & Grimaldo also will play, that is the same thing. In Anderlecht, they would be almost starters in the first team.

That said, watch out for Praet & Kabasele (our Dongou).
Well Praet's injury was minor, he even played last week ;)
Also, Dongou & Grimaldo haven't played that much for Barcelona B. They spend most of their time in Juvenil A last year while Praet was already in the first team selection at Anderlecht. However, with guys like Grimaldo, Samper, Dongou, Ebwelle, Enguene,... we should still be able to beat them. It's just gonna be a hard game.

Home of Barca Fans