Antonio Cassano

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I'm surprised he's no thread yet... Lindsay dissappointed me here :cry:

btw it is disgusting, pathetic, hypocritic and cowardly on behalf of UEFA to punish him for the alleged "homophobic" remarks

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
His remarks were also disgusting, pathetic and cowardly.

Though I don't think stupidity should be punished by UEFA.

XaviMessiGirl

I'm surprised he's no thread yet... Lindsay dissappointed me here :cry:

btw it is disgusting, pathetic, hypocritic and cowardly on behalf of UEFA to punish him for the alleged "homophobic" remarks

How is it not homophobic? Anything that makes it look like a bad thing to be gay is homophobic/heterosexist, just like anything that marginalizes a person of color is racist. Maybe he's not really a homophobe and he's just an idiot who can't keep his mouth shut, but he still made homophobic comments and that had no place in a press conference. Especially if it really is true that there are two gay people in Italy NT squad, way to make them feel horrible and even less likely to come out.

I don't see how it's disgusting to punish him either, unless you're referring to the fact that UEFA/FIFA are incredibly inconsistent with punishments for this type of thing, in which case I'm inclined to agree. But if you don't start somewhere then I don't see how the issue can ever be tackled.

(Oh and guys, just in advance, if we're going to discuss this, please keep it mature. Thanks.)

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
He is immensely talented & his partnership with Ibra was a joy, seems like he's finally got his head right too.

Great vid!

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
How is it not homophobic? Anything that makes it look like a bad thing to be gay is homophobic/heterosexist, just like anything that marginalizes a person of color is racist. Maybe he's not really a homophobe and he's just an idiot who can't keep his mouth shut, but he still made homophobic comments and that had no place in a press conference. Especially if it really is true that there are two gay people in Italy NT squad, way to make them feel horrible and even less likely to come out.

I don't see how it's disgusting to punish him either, unless you're referring to the fact that UEFA/FIFA are incredibly inconsistent with punishments for this type of thing, in which case I'm inclined to agree. But if you don't start somewhere then I don't see how the issue can ever be tackled.

(Oh and guys, just in advance, if we're going to discuss this, please keep it mature. Thanks.)
oh so if some one says "I respect people for their sexual orientation, but I'd feel uncomfortable if some one's around me" they are being homophobic!?
How about the freedom of speech and stuff!?

I would like to know how a girl would feel if she were to share dressing room, move around naked with a bunch of naked boys around...

And UEFA got no business punishing him... I mean the remarks were not derogatory in the first place, and even if they did he clarified them immediately and apologised for the confusing remarks he made. So I don't support the punishment here

Last edited:

Jenks

He said he hopes there are no "queers" in the national team and even in the clarification of his comments he still called it a "problem". I'm not sure how much more explicitly homophobic he could get. Homophobia is probably an even bigger problem in football than racism these days, so I'm glad UEFA are trying to do something about it.

XaviMessiGirl

oh so if some one says "I respect people for their sexual orientation, but I'd feel uncomfortable if some one's around me" they are being homophobic!?
How about the freedom of speech and stuff!?

I would like to know how a girl would feel if she were to share dressing room, move around naked with a bunch of naked boys around...

And UEFA got no business punishing him... I mean the remarks were not derogatory in the first place, and even if they did he clarified them immediately and apologised for the confusing remarks he made. So I don't support the punishment here

He apologized later, but he still said a really awful and stupid thing. And yeah, saying you hope there's no gay people in your team is a homophobic statement, even if you try to sugar coat it with "I respect everyone's orientation". Obviously he doesn't, if he respected it he'd be okay with it. It's just one step away from "gays shouldn't play sports/should be segregated from the straight players". Does he think if he has a gay teammate that the person would come onto him in the dressing room or try to turn him gay? Come on, give them credit to keep their professional and personal lives separate. And if there are any how do you think those people are supposed to feel comfortable with him now, or worse feel comfortable with themselves and their orientation?

However I also realize there's a cultural difference here, I live in a city where gay rights are a huge thing, gay couples can walk down the street and most don't give them a second thought, and I have several good friends who are gay, lesbian or bi. So I tend to take a strong stance on these issues. I don't mean to attack you personally Estel, was just sharing my difference of opinion.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
He said he hopes there are no "queers" in the national team and even in the clarification of his comments he still called it a "problem". I'm not sure how much more explicitly homophobic he could get. Homophobia is probably an even bigger problem in football than racism these days, so I'm glad UEFA are trying to do something about it.
He did use the word queer, but that was the first time... that is when the stupidity part of his brain played its part. He didn't say it the second time.

He apologized later, but he still said a really awful and stupid thing. And yeah, saying you hope there's no gay people in your team is a homophobic statement, even if you try to sugar coat it with "I respect everyone's orientation". Obviously he doesn't, if he respected it he'd be okay with it. It's just one step away from "gays shouldn't play sports/should be segregated from the straight players". Does he think if he has a gay teammate that the person would come onto him in the dressing room or try to turn him gay? Come on, give them credit to keep their professional and personal lives separate. And if there are any how do you think those people are supposed to feel comfortable with him now, or worse feel comfortable with themselves and their orientation?
Let's say I'm filthy rich and own a company... If I recruited poor, desperate girls and made them work naked amidst a bunch of naked boys, I'd like to know the reaction of the feminists around the world.

However I also realize there's a cultural difference here, I live in a city where gay rights are a huge thing, gay couples can walk down the street and most don't give them a second thought, and I have several good friends who are gay, lesbian or bi. So I tend to take a strong stance on these issues. I don't mean to attack you personally Estel, was just sharing my difference of opinion.
Yes, the cultural differences. In my place many of the girls hate it when boys check out on them(It is changing for good lately though, I hope). Shall we now presume they have some kind of androphobia then!?
In case of Cassano here, we are talking about a probable checking out when the "victim" here is naked!!

I hope you catch my drift here.
And I'm like that anyway. I hate it when there's hyperbole. In a lot of situations actually

You know me darling, I don't let a silly arguement on a public forum affect me personally ;)

Last edited:

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Good name! :thumbsup2:

He did use the word queer, but that was the first time... that is when the stupidity part of his brain played its part. He didn't say it the second time.

Let's say I'm filthy rich and own a company... If I recruited poor, desperate girls and made them work naked amidst a bunch of naked boys, I'd like to know the reaction of the feminists around the world.

Yes, the cultural differences. In my place many of the girls hate it when boys check out on them(It is changing for good lately though, I hope). Shall we now presume they have some kind of androphobia then!?
In case of Cassano here, we are talking about a probable checking out when the "victim" here is naked!!

I hope you catch my drift here.
And I'm like that anyway. I hate it when there's hyperbole. In a lot of situations actually

You know me darling, I don't let a silly arguement on a public forum affect me personally ;)

Post of the century? :D

El Flaco

Antonio Cassano's interview with AS

Are you happy again at Sampdoria?

There are three clubs in my heart. First there's Sampdoria, then Inter Milan, because I've been a fan of them since I was little, and Parma, all the more so after the situation they went through. I've forgotten about the rest [laughs]. At Real Madrid I only played like three or four times! It was my own fault, of course, and also because some of the best players in the world and in history were there: Ronaldo, [Zinedine] Zidane, Raúl...

How did you find out that Madrid wanted to sign you?

I was out in the cold at Roma under [Luciano] Spalletti... And [agent Ernesto] Bronzetti called me and said: 'Antonio, do you want to go to the biggest club in history?' I said: 'Who do you mean?' He replied 'Real', and I said: 'F**k off, Ernesto...'. He came to my house and handed me Florentino [Pérez, the Madrid president] on the other end of the phone.

And...?

I couldn't say no to Madrid. A lot of people would pay to play there. It was the Madrid of the 'Galácticos'! Zidane, Figo, Raúl, Beckham, Guti, Roberto Carlos, Casillas…

Why weren't you a success there?

It was either Robinho or me on the pitch. I started well and got myself on the scoresheet, but when you go to Madrid you can do one of two things: be with your family and focus on your football, or go there and carry on like an idiot.

And what did you do?

The latter; but I still had a great time.

Do you reget not making the most of such an opportunity?

Yes, I do; it's natural to feel that way. I didn't realise that I was at the biggest club in history. Only an idiot can behave the way I did at Real Madrid.

Who did you develop the best on-field understanding with?

I always tell my team-mates that I've played with two of the five best players of all time: Zizou and Ronie, 'Il Fenomeno'. But I also think that if he'd kept his head firmly in the right place and been the consummate pro, Guti could have been one of the best players ever.

A lot of people say that.

Guti had bags of quality. Bags of it! He was on another planet.

And Zidane?

I take my hat off to him, both as a player and as a guy. The way he trained! He never spoke, but listen: in a year and a half he opened his mouth three times, and when he did everybody stopped and listened to him without saying a single word.

He didn't speak often...

He trained flat out, flat out. Always. And he always looked for the team to train flat out. He and Raúl were the two leaders, but in different ways. One spoke as captain, and the other, Zizou, spoke when he had to and everyone listened.

Do you think he'll do well as a coach?

I think he's going to be a top coach. If Zizou says something, as a player you listen to him. Not many have the personality and the confidence that he does. He made history. If he tells a player to do something, who's going to tell him otherwise?

Who did better with the girls when you were at Madrid: David Beckham or you?

Me! David was perfect, but he also behaved himself [laughs]. I was the one who got up to mischief; he was married. All the girls were after David, but it wasn't possible because he was married and already had kids. I had a girlfriend when I arrived in Madrid, but within a month...

Food, sex and football. Is there anything else to life?

Perfect! That's the perfect life. Until 2 February 2008, eh? Then I met my wife. But until 2008, absolutely.

Have you been a sex addict?

Yes.... Yes. When you're 20 years old and you like girls, you have it in you to do it every day. And I had the chance to. I was Cassano, the Real Madrid player! If I'd had any other job, nobody would have looked at me, not even my mother [laughs]! I'm a nice guy, but I'm not a looker.

Did a night of crazy sex improve your on-field performance?

If it's Madrid we're talking, then no. I wasn't in the team, because I was 10 kilos overweight. It's as simple as that. I had my head elsewhere. But at Roma I reckon so...

And are you addicted to eating?

Yes... I still am. As a friend of mine says, when you eat nice things, you get fat.

How much did you weigh when you arrived at Real Madrid?

93 [kilos]!

But how tall are you?

I'm 1.75m [5'9"]. My ideal weight is 83. I started this season at Sampdoria on 95 kilos...

At Madrid you had a reputation for your eating at the team hotel before matches...

I had a friend at the Mirasierra [hotel, where Real Madrid usually spent the night before home games until 2013], and at 10 o'clock he would bring whatever food I wanted to my room. I'd give him 200 or 500 euros. The pity was that he wasn't there when we played away.

Why did Fabio Capello, Real's coach at the time, banish you from the first team?

Everyone says it's because I imitated him, but it's not true. I had a fall-out with him at Xerez. We won 3-1 and he had me warming up for 45 minutes. Me and Ronaldo. I was raging. We almost came to blows. But he was right then, and he still is now. Capello got the best out of me. One season under him at Roma, I scored 23 goals. Why? Because he was always on top of me, hammering away at me.

Do you enjoy the role of a rebel footballer?

Maybe… I was a complete disaster for the first 16 years of my life. Call it being a rebel, being mad. Then I found it impossible to change when I became a professional footballer. I’m happy like this…

How did being born in Bari, in the South, affect your football?

Most of us in the south of Italy have a little bit of a son of a bitch in them… I mean, we are very sharp. I’m from a place where the only thing there is to do is play with a ball. The people around me didn’t like working, didn’t like going to school… They only like playing.

Where did you start to play?

In the market in the city, we’d play going round people and stalls. From two to nine, 10 or 11. I never stopped playing.

You had good time.

If you’re lucky, like me… I made my debut against Inter and scored quickly, and that fixed my life.

Where would you have ended up if you hadn’t scored that goal?

Who knows… a lot of the folk around me ended up in jail, but…

But?

But my character has given me a lot of problems. In Rome, in Madrid…

Do you find it difficult to accept authority?

When I was young I did stuff without thinking. I’m from the streets, and I’ve got a strong personality. I thought football was like it is in the street, but it’s not.

But you realised…

I’m aware of it now, but when you’re 22 or 23… Imagine it. Then when you start to have children, it changes your life.

Talking of changes, how did it affect you when you had heart surgery in 2011?

Before I didn’t believe in God, not in him or anything. When I had that problem I believe someone divine touched me with their hand. Before I cursed a lot. Now if someone else does it, I get pretty angry.

Really?

I think someone put their hand on my head and kept me alive. I believe that.

You were saved from above?

I think so, yes.

What do you remember?

Everything. When I finished the game against Roma I was dizzy coming back on the plane. I told Thiago Silva to call the doctor, who was up front. Coming down the steps I told the doctor.

What happened?

He did the old thing with following the finger with my gaze. I would have bet you all my money that my eyes were following that finger. But the doctor said: “Antonio, we’re going to hospital”.

They weren’t following the finger…

No. But I thought they were. They did all the tests, except one and everything was fine. But they wanted to do a scan of the heart, and that’s when they saw the malformation.

What did you think?

I shat myself. Back then I only had one son. I thought: “If there’s someone up there, please let me come back to see my four month old son again…” That’s why I say someone up there saved me. I believe it.

Has it changed your life a lot?

First my children changed it, then the operation.

Madrid are taking on Roma, your first major team. How do you remember your time at the club?

I’ve got good memories. When I was little I wanted to play with Totti.

How many years older was he?

Six! I was 18 and he was 24. Zidane was also playing at Juve back then…

Who was your big hero?

Maradona, because he played in the South… But now, for me, football is just one player, the number 10 for Barcelona. Nobody else. He’s first and then there’s no second. You have to go straight to third, fourth. And I’m talking about in the whole history of the game, eh!

Messi better than Maradona?

Yes, come on, five Ballon d’Ors and 26 or 28 trophies. Football is tougher now, and above all more physical than in Maradona’s time. These days they play against Messi and it’s bam, bam, bam… They batter him! And it changes nothing for him. He scores when he wants to.

And between Cristiano and Messi?

Look, Cristiano is like Nadal and Messi like Federer. Nadal is a phenomenon, but when his physique lets him down he can’t win it all. Federer is 35 and with the quality he’s got he’s always at the top. Right now Cristiano is up there with Messi, but in two or three years he’ll fall away. Messi will play to 35, 36, 37…

Totti is a little bit like you, a local lad

Yes, he made a lot of sacrifices; he’s a fantastic person. I spent six months living in his house when I signed for Roma. My dream was to play there, because of people like him. At my time Roma and Juve were the big sides and I didn’t see myself at Juve.

Why?

Because I’m very latino, and at Juve they’re like soldiers. And I couldn’t. They are professionals, who win, true. But I need to be overweight, eat what I like, tell people to piss off.

Or a coach?

Or lots of coaches, almost all of them…

How long did you say you spent with Totti?

Six months until my mother and my cousin came to live with me.

You and Totti completely fell out, what happened?

Nothing, I was 19 and he said something to me… I disrespected him and I stopped talking to him for two years.

Do you admire the Spanish football side?

Yes…In the Euro 2012 final it was impossible to beat them. We started the match, lost the ball after 10 seconds and they started: tun-tun-tun. Two and a half minutes passing. I thought: “We’re done for”. When you play against a side like that you take your hat off to them and that’s that.

What Spanish players do you like most?

Iniesta and Xavi. I always say: I was lucky enough to coincide with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. They are three out of my five favourites.

Are you hoping to go to the European Championships?

I’m dreaming of it, but I think I’ve got a one in a million chance. Conte hasn’t called me in two years. The team is working. But this year I’ve pushed myself as hard as I can. I’m back to my fighting weight.

http://en.as.com/en/2016/02/12/football/1455284458_156801.html
http://en.as.com/en/2016/02/12/football/1455303055_798551.html

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans