United States to host "Special Edition" Copa America, 2016

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
According to the Mexican federation, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of CONMEBOL, a 2016 edition of the Copa America will take place in the US, a year after the regular 2015 one in Chile

I'm confused. While I like Mexico and the US participating in the Copa, why is the celebration taking place in a CONCACAF country?

I'm all for cooperation between the American federations, it will help the US, Mexico, Central America and maybe someday Canada stay competitve, but if the US and Mexico really want this, why not quit CONCACAF and join CONMEBOL? Expansion should be taken seriously, I would hate to see the most competitive federation suffer a talent dilution by forced to regularly play Caribbean sides, for instance, if there was a total merger.

Mexico wants to expand the Copa America to 16 teams. No thank you.

Last edited:

Maria

Would the players agree to this? We have the World Cup in 2014, Copa America in 2015 and then another CA in 2016? I think they would be exhausted, especially someone like Messi, who plays over 60 games a year.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Would the players agree to this? We have the World Cup in 2014, Copa America in 2015 and then another CA in 2016? I think they would be exhausted, especially someone like Messi, who plays over 60 games a year.

I could see some teams taking second rate squads, but it's all about the money really.

Blue Demon

Wow. Haven't heard anything on this. But I don't like this at all. I'm all for integration of CONCACAF into Copa America but a 'special edition'?? This sounds a lot like filling up stadiums, selling Chicharito jerseys and Coronas.

They might have got this idea after Brazil and Argentina played that friendly earlier in the summer.

JonM

They should at least merge the Copa America with the Gold Cup, which is a useless tournament. Always the same host country, only two potential winners, no interest abroad. There probably isn't enough quality in the Americas to have a decent 16-team tournament though. 12 teams would be better but that makes for a boring group stage.

Home of Barca Fans