Frank Rijkaard

khaled_a_d

I was just watching clips of Ronaldinho there and it got me thinking.......

Does anybody think that Rijkaard's impact and influence on the club/team has been almost forgotten by the footballing world since Pep's success? I know Pep inherited a mess but it was a mess with a very solid foundation.
People talk about Pep's team being the best of all time but I remember watching Rijkaard's Barca and thinking that this team could go on to be the best of all time. For two years they played some of the best football I've ever seen and those few months when Messi first broke into the team with Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Deco all at their very best were magical.
While Pep did make some big changes the fundamentals were the same in both teams; possession based football with intense pressing. He inherited a team with world class talent that just needed to get back to working hard and doing the basics right Obviously the legacy will not be the same due to the relatively short period of success and the way it began to fall apart towards the end.
I think it is possible to view Pep's team as a continuation of Rijkaard's team rather than a completely separate entity. I'm not trying to understate what Pep did but just acknowledge how important Rijkaard was during his spell at the club and how great his influence was on things to come.

Going back to Ronaldinho....it's so sad how his career went downhill. That's probably Rijkaard's biggest failure; letting him slack off like that. Obviously it's Ronnie himself to blame and not Rijkaard but there should have been more discipline. By the time Pep came in it was too late to save him. You've got wonder if somebody like Pep was in charge while Ronaldinho was at his peak if he would have allowed that decline to happen. It would have been incredible to get a few more years of Messi/Ronaldinho together. Ronaldinho leaving did allow Messi to become the start of the team and maybe he wouldn't have developed to be quite as good as he is now but it would have been damn special to see those two for longer.

The sad fact that Rijkaard get most of the recognition by Pep's hater who give Rijkaard the credit just to take it from Pep
Rijkaard did amazing job ,he actually built the team from the start and he succeeded in that ,people makes a bigger deal of Pep rebuilding tbh
we were competing for Liga title most of the season and reached SF in both CDR&CL in his last season with our worst season ever with injuries ,that was a declining team not a bad one .it had the core needed to win trophies but just needed refreshment ,Pep made the necessary adjustments and then took the team to new level
One last thing ,for me 2006 is still my favorite barca football of all time ,I loved the mix we had between talent and physical strength ,we were able to outmuscle teams like Chelsea&Milan while playing both entertaining &tactical football .I know football and result wise it was inferior to Pep first 3 seasons but I liked it more

El Flaco

Quotes by Frank Rijkaard when he talked to MARCA.

What do you do for a living?

I live a quiet life in Amsterdam with my family. I don't work in football, I have other businesses.

What memories do you have of your time as Barça boss?

I'm really proud. I had some very happy times there. There were some sad times too, but I always try to paint Barça in the best way I can.

You started something there that still endures. Is that how you see it?

We arrived at a club that had not won anything for several years. The first half of that season was tough, but then everything began to click. It was thanks to the players, especially Ronaldinho. He helped found that new-look Barça.

What do you think when you look at the career of that little Argentine to whom you once gave his first start?

Messi is just phenomenal. I'm pleased to see what he's achieved in football. However, it wasn't just Messi; it was the Iniestas, Xavis and Valdés's too. All those players arrived on the scene at the same time and went on to write their names in footballing history.

What was the secret to Barça's success?

The club has always been successful with its foreign imports, but the day arrived when the club's academy players came of age, had the experience and valour to take over. Thanks to that the club enjoyed a golden era of success.

Let's talk about the club's current crop of players. You coached Arda at Galatasaray.

A huge talent, a massive heart and a great footballer. He's already shown as much at Atlético. He's hard-working and technically strong. Arda Turan can bring something special to this Barça.

What do you think of the current Barça side?

It's too early to say. Messi is out injured and the team now have to keep going without him. We'll see how they do. Aside from him, Barcelona have enough talent to achieve their goals.

Barcafan 2304

find it strange that his coaching career has not progressed. I know his tenure at Barca ended badly but he did bring success and a second European cup.

Catta

#bringRijkaardback
Frank the tank will lead this team to its glory days again
With Messi in the Ronaldinho role, Coutinho as a new Deco, Griezmann instead of Eto'o and Dembele as young Messi

Andrew M

#bringRijkaardback
Frank the tank will lead this team to its glory days again
With Messi in the Ronaldinho role, Coutinho as a new Deco, Griezmann instead of Eto'o and Dembele as young Messi

You mean partying all night and turning up at training hungover? I think I prefer Messi as is, thanks

BBZ8800

The sad fact that Rijkaard get most of the recognition by Pep's hater who give Rijkaard the credit just to take it from Pep
Rijkaard did amazing job ,he actually built the team from the start and he succeeded in that ,people makes a bigger deal of Pep rebuilding tbh
we were competing for Liga title most of the season and reached SF in both CDR&CL in his last season with our worst season ever with injuries ,that was a declining team not a bad one .it had the core needed to win trophies but just needed refreshment ,Pep made the necessary adjustments and then took the team to new level
One last thing ,for me 2006 is still my favorite barca football of all time ,I loved the mix we had between talent and physical strength ,we were able to outmuscle teams like Chelsea&Milan while playing both entertaining &tactical football .I know football and result wise it was inferior to Pep first 3 seasons but I liked it more

4 years too late for a reply.
For me also, Barca from 2004/05 and 2005/06 is my favorite Barca ever (especially because they came after years and years of misery).

Immortals.
Oh, and we had so much passion and motivation back then.
Unlike today.

Last edited:

Joan

I often think about him lately. Watch some highlights, old matches... really loved him.

KingLeo10

IMO the best defensive midfielder of all time. imagine facing off against this trio.

BjR4iV9CMAAANvl.png

on a side not, it's a disgrace that milan's misfortune in the last 10 years has made people forget how great they were. always > juve IMO.

Home of Barca Fans