Frank Rijkaard

Andresito

Staff member
How come Barcelona was the only "big" job he had in management?

Didn't he like it or did no one want him? He's been retired since 2016.

khaled_a_d

How come Barcelona was the only "big" job he had in management?

Didn't he like it or did no one want him? He's been retired since 2016.

It was his 2nd big job, netherland was pretty big deal when he coached them.
I think it is combination of several things
-He was never suited for smaller teams, many of top players are like that IMO, he spent his career between Ajax & Milan and was an all time great in DM position. tough for him to take lower teams.
-Bad agent, lead him to jobs doesn't suit him after Netherlands and Barca.jobs that tanked his reputation.
-He lost interest, got offers before from other big clubs later that he turned down (PSG iirc, think at some point Liverpool had interest in him), he seemed only interested in semi-retirement jobs like KSA and didn't accept any offer afterwards and was just taking care of his business

Windhook

It's in French, but 90% of it you can understand just by knowing on what took place at the time.

Fans asking Laporta to fire Rijkaard, instead asking fans for patience. Some footage I hadn't seen before.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
Nobody knows where the @(#* this guy has been last couple of years. Only times I ever see him is during football games when the camera catches him in the stands. Never does interviews. Heard he rents his properties and is just living the good life.

khaled_a_d

Nobody knows where the @(#* this guy has been last couple of years. Only times I ever see him is during football games when the camera catches him in the stands. Never does interviews. Heard he rents his properties and is just living the good life.

I remember few years ago there was a report he is just managing a fancy restaurant he own or something like that.
Left football long time ago, shame since I always felt he is one of the smartest and classiest coaches there. Maybe he just had enough of the game and he just choose the smart thing of enjoying his life

Windhook

He simply did what Cruyff did. Lost passion and retired from football to invest time on business/foundations. Galatasaray stint probably killed Frank's passion for football. Many people who went to Turkey never made it back into big football. The Saudi Arabia job was clearly a move for financial reasons. Last we know he showed up at Barcelona training.

Horatio

You're welcome
I remember few years ago there was a report he is just managing a fancy restaurant he own or something like that.
Left football long time ago, shame since I always felt he is one of the smartest and classiest coaches there. Maybe he just had enough of the game and he just choose the smart thing of enjoying his life

I just found an interview that is of 2 years ago during an event organized by Cruijff foundation at start of Corona that he is still involved with. Basically confirms what most assume. Focuses on family life and on giving back to society, but generally stepped away from business side of sport. Aged well. Utter class as always.

Horatio

You're welcome
He simply did what Cruyff did. Lost passion and retired from football to invest time on business/foundations. Galatasaray stint probably killed Frank's passion for football. Many people who went to Turkey never made it back into big football. The Saudi Arabia job was clearly a move for financial reasons. Last we know he showed up at Barcelona training.

Yes. Turkey is not for the faint of heart. But implying it is a career killer because people don't make it back is a bit misleading. It is just a lesser league where players in decline go. I don't know much about the details of his time at Galatasaray. Just he got appointed, sacked and followed-up by Hagi.

Windhook

Yes. Turkey is not for the faint of heart. But implying it is a career killer because people don't make it back is a bit misleading. It is just a lesser league where players in decline go. I don't know much about the details of his time at Galatasaray. Just he got appointed, sacked and followed-up by Hagi.

I'm not implying Turkey is career killer. Just many veterans joining the big 3 Istanbul clubs to enjoy the city, less football near the end of their career.

Franck Ribery joined Galatasaray at young age, converted to Islam to marry this girl and went on to have a fantastic career.

Porque

I made a shitpost about Laporta wanting Rijkaard and deleted it and few days back. Seems it was up long enough for a cretin from Marca to spot it.

But surely, this is a non-story. And Rijkaard is completely out of the game. Laporta would be starting to swim with the fishes if he wanted Frank in any serious role or influence.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
I made a shitpost about Laporta wanting Rijkaard and deleted it and few days back. Seems it was up long enough for a cretin from Marca to spot it.

But surely, this is a non-story. And Rijkaard is completely out of the game. Laporta would be starting to swim with the fishes if he wanted Frank in any serious role or influence.
Frank breaking out his managerial suit

1706727935796.gif

Home of Barca Fans