Tito Vilanova will be FC Barcelona's head manager through 2014

F

Flavia

WWW.FCBARCELONA.CAT

06/13/2012 18:50

The new manager will be presented this Friday, at 13:00, at the Camp Nou's Sala París

2012-05-27_PARTIDO_POBREZA_25.v1339605869.JPG

FC Barcelona have come to an agreement with Francesc ‘Tito’ Vilanova. This season's first team assistant manager will be the head coach of FC Barcelona for two seasons, through June 30, 2014. Vilanova will sign his new contract this Friday on June 15 at 12:00.

At 12:30 Vilanova will pose for his official photo on the steps of the Club’s offices and at 13:00, President Sandro Rosell, football director Andoni Zubizarreta and manager Tito Vilanova will hold a press conference at the Sala París.

With Vilanova at the helm of Barça’s bench, the continuity of Barça’s play style is secured. FC Barcelona’s new coach was Josep Guardiola’s assistant manager during the most glorious era of Barça football. Both of the men, in 2007, took hold of Barça’s reserve side and led the team to Segunda Divisón B and in 2008, they were named managers of the first team.

On April 27 of this year, Guardiola, accompanied by President Rosell and Zubizarreta, announced his decision to step down from his position as head manager during a press conference at the Camp Nou. During the same press conference, Rosell announced the name of FC Barcelona’s new manager for the 2012/13 season, Tito Vilanova. The new manager will be the 16th Catalan manager of the first team in the history of the Club. During the press conference Zubizarreta said that the new manager “represents the play style, the analysis, the planning, the commitment and the personality” that have characterised the team these past four years.

Tito Vilanova, who was born in Bellacaire d’Empordà on September 17 in 1969, is a La Masia graduate. The Azulgrana manager joined Barça’s youth system in 1984. After making the jump to Barça B and featuring in three first-team friendlies, his career took him to Figueres, Celta, Badajoz, Mallorca, Lleida, Elche and Gramenet. Once he hung up his boots, he started his managerial career with FC Barcelona’s Cadete B (U15) team in the 2001/02 season. In 2007, after managing other teams, Vilanova returned to the Club where he started to train the reserve side with Guardiola. Five years later, he's officially been named FC Barcelona's head manager.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know why it took so long. Seems like Tito was asking too much or Barca offered little.
Oh well..

Here's to Tito and Barca and more beautiful football in the coming years
:beer:

Maria

Don't know why it took so long. Seems like Tito was asking too much or Barca offered little.
Oh well..

Yeah..it wasn't such a good idea to announce him as our future coach before signing his new contract..but I'm glad that everything worked out for the best.

Ender

Talks on Vilanova's contract took so long, because the new coach also wanted his staff's contracts to be dealt with before he signed. [md]

UberNjufer

we should have went for bielsa,not sure if tito will have same authority as pep.We will have to wait and see

M

mitkoa7x

eh,do you have something that would make me think differently

Im not going to start a discussion about Bilesa in Tito's thread. I'll say only this: Bilesa may be a brilliant tactician but he cant deal with big players (like ours), even tho Pep made them incredibly disciplined.

Tito is the man for the job.

UberNjufer

Im not going to start a discussion about Bilesa in Tito's thread. I'll say only this: Bilesa may be a brilliant tactician but he cant deal with big players (like ours), even tho Pep made them incredibly disciplined.

Tito is the man for the job.
you can't really know that but as i said we 'll have to wait and see

tello

we should have went for bielsa,not sure if tito will have same authority as pep.We will have to wait and see

It is not all about authority. I'm not convinced either Tito will perform as expected to such a club like Barca but I remain optimistic.
It is extremely difficult to train Barca after Pep's absolutely outstanding 4 years. It is about the pressure of the results, the pressure of improving the boat's attack playing in order to keep making the team play better and better. The pressure of rm will also be important.

Last edited:

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Who expected Pep to take Barça and turn it into the team it is now when he took over 4 years back? I'd rather evaluate Tito on his performance in the upcoming two years and reserve my doubts for the future.

tello

Who expected Pep to take Barça and turn it into the team it is now when he took over 4 years back? I'd rather evaluate Tito on his performance in the upcoming two years and reserve my doubts for the future.

It is harder to maintain and improve the team since it was on such a high level for the past few years than to take it from 2008 level and sky it to what it is and represents today.
Let's hope Tito is very good at what he does and has that right amount of luck in order to make Barcelona even better !

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans