What will happen with Fontas, Bartra and Muniesa?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
We already have 3 world class defenders (Puyol, Pique, Mascherano) and looking to add another one.
Having that in mind, what are the prospects of Fontas, Bartra and Muniesa? How much will they play? And who has the best chance to make it?

W

woobie

Speaking as a relative neutral here, I'd argue that Barcelona has 2 world-class defenders in Pique and Puyol. Mascherano just doesn't impress me as truly world class (would I put him on a world XI as a cb? No.), so I'd say Barcelona needs another good centerback. The young players mentioned could well get decent playing time next year, depending on what happens with Puyol's injury/recoveray (keeping in mind that he isn't getting any younger), Pique's head, and the transfer market.

Of the 3 young players mentioned, I've been most impressed by Bartra. I'd give him the best chance right now.

zanela

I'm in agreement with Woobie. Masch is a quality CB, but i wouldn't call him world-class. His natural instincts are not that of a CB, and his positional lapses in the big games have confirmed the same. There is def room for improvement.
Of them 3, one would be sent on loan i feel. And if Puyol is back to full fitness next season and we end up buying a high-profile defender, it would be better we loan or sell them with a buy back clause to a team they can get regular game time. The topflight experience would facilitate their development.

My fav is Bartra. He has the overall package (skill, pace, confidence, leadership) to be a success not just at Barca but in any system. But whether he fullfills his potential is another thing.

Pepe Silvia

I for one thought Mascherano outshone Puyol and reminded Pique about what it means to defend this season. I do agree that another class defender will be needed in case of injuries and/or Shakira booty syndrome, be it Fontas or another signing, but I think Masch has found a home in the Barça back line.

XaviMessiGirl

Fontas - hard to say since he was injured for so much of the season. He looked promising in Barca B but hasn't made much of an impact for the first team yet. I'd like to see him some more.

Bartra - most promising out of the three for me and the one I'm most excited about. I think he will grow to be a solid backup and if he proves himself perhaps he can eventually replace Puyol when the time comes.

Muniesa - I like him a lot but I don't think there's room for him as a CB, maybe LB? I think he should get a shot though.

Then of course there is Montoya at RB.

jamrock

fontas needs to go,bartra will get his chance as the fifth choice cb and will develop over the next 2 season. muniesa can play at lb so i have a feeling he will get the most minutes, we are asking these question but we dont really know if tito has the same feeling about the youth that pep has

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
woobie is right i cant understand why guys keep saying he is world class,he surprised me with his performances but still think an in form Pique is much better.

TanzaBarca

Batra played very well agaisnt bates borisove in Ucl, he needs first team experience if Tito has the same idear that Pep has.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
3-4 months after our little topic things aren't looking good for the trio. 3 different reasons too.

F

Flavia

Fontas will most def leave in the winter, and I doubt we'll see him back. I still hope Bartra gets a chance. Muniesa was going to ajax on loan, his future now depends on his recovery.

Home of Barca Fans