Mexican Primera División

Blue Demon

Instead of clogging up the Club America thread with non-CA news. It would be beneficial to have a thread to post news and stuff on the Mexican Primera.

Congrats to Santos Laguna for their well deserved win last night. Santos were more hungry and wanted it more. It was a well deserved victory. :beer2:
Peralta again was great and the team just dominated from the start. I think their fans wanted this more since they suffered at the hands of Monterrey previous times. BTW, always liked their stadium.
View attachment 5472

The back line of Monterrey was just not there and with a out of form Chupete, it just wasn't ours to be. It was the first loss of a championship for the DT of Monterrey, Vucetich, it was bound to happen for the so called "King Midas".

Found out Ricardo LaVolpe is back this weekend. He is now the DT for Atlante. This going to make those clashes with Pachuca interesting since both he and Hugo Sanchez don't like each other. Can't wait for those to go at it. :D

http://www.laaficion.com/noticias/105425-ricardo-lavolpe-nuevo-t-cnico-del-atlante

That changing of the primera is still in the air. See what they decide later in the summer. Now it's over and hopefully something will come out of the olympics and the friendlies.

Pepe Silvia

We kicked the crap out of them a few weeks back 3-1. SMH at the closing of our campaign. We're way better than them.
[YOUTUBE]ar-TwWWo-Ag[/YOUTUBE]

Anyway, yeah they were definitely more hungry than you guys, although at the last 15 or so minutes after that golazo by De Nigris, you guys were looking good and fought bravely.

I think their second goal really knocked the wind out of you guys bad and it took that De Nigris goal to get you guys back but by then it was too late.

They did deserve to be the winners as they played much better throughout the game. Also, yeah their stadium is pretty awesome right? Really nice looking place. Kinda found it funny though that they were doing MLB Braves chants even doing their tomahawk with their green balloons. Also they were doing USC Trojans chants. :lol:

Blue Demon

I was thinking of that as I was watching the game last night with the Braves' chants. :lol:

There has to be some Native American connection there. I just don't know if there is one.

I asked a friend of mine who is a Lagunera what was up with that. If she gives me a reasonable answer I'll post what she said.

Pepe Silvia

I guess America is trying to sign Forlan. Not sure how reputable the source was, I read it online somewhere a few days ago. He could really teach Chucho a LOT and elevate the others' game. That would be welcome from me.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I guess America is trying to sign Forlan. Not sure how reputable the source was, I read it online somewhere a few days ago. He could really teach Chucho a LOT and elevate the others' game. That would be welcome from me.

Would be very interesting, but Forlan is being linked with everyone right now. Sadly I expect him to go to Brazil.

Blue Demon

I guess the draft happened this week or a day or two ago. I only heard about it yesterday and looking for info now, I'm not finding much about it.

I don't understand why they even call it a "draft". I remember a few years ago ESPN Deportes did a whole program (if I'm not mistaken) on it trying to format it to NBA and NFL drafts. I remember it being mediocre.

Anyway, it passed under my radar and didn't even hear anything significant of it. I may be mistaken. But I laugh at what Ricardo Lavolpe said about it that it was "business amongst friends".

http://www.laaficion.com/noticias/107714-qued-el-draft-2012-del-futbol-mexicano

On another note, while driving from work yesterday, I heard an interview with the new coach of Chivas on "Jorge Ramos y Su Banda". I was astonished that he was only speaking English. Since I'm not a Chivas fan, this passed over my head. The language barrier shouldn't be a problem, it happens all over the world in clubs and it works out but as far as I know, Chivas wear their nationalism like a badge. This is going to be interesting year for Vergara if Van't Schip can't make "el rebaño sagrado" rise to the top.

http://futbol.univision.com/mexico/article/2012-04-23/vant-schip-nuevo-dt-de-chivas-promete-reaccion-inmediata-apertura-2012#axzz1xD0vNiN4

Blue Demon

I read somewhere that he wanted to win something in Mexico first, kinda ironic since he use to be in santos lol

:lol:

It must have stung when Santos won the title.

I don't know why he came back; sometimes these players either get into a bad situation or a stump they can't get out of; after a spending time on the bench, they usually pack up, travel back and join the MX league. In the case of Chucho, it might have been contract stuff.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Interesting, at this point there are 5 Spaniards playing in Mexico - Marc Crosas (Santos Laguna), Luis Garcia [The Barcelona/Liverpool one] (Pumas), Luis Garcia [The Espanyol one] (Tigres), Raul Tamudo (Pachuca), Valdo (Atlante); three of them just joined, perhaps the start of a Spanish exodus as most clubs in Spain are broke right now.

On the other hand I think there's only 3/4 Mexicans in La Liga - Guardado, Vela, Moreno; and if you count him, JDS.

Blue Demon

There is also Ochoa and GDS (if he ever gets to play. Also there are a few others I think). It's an interesting comparison of numbers. Though I think I've never seen as many players from MX to be playing abroad, which is a good sign. It could be a start of an exodus toward Latin America. I think that would make the leagues here a lot better.

I looked at some numbers and I saw there are a lot of "extranjeros" playing in the Liga MX. Like 30-35 Argentinians and others from Central and South America; for example Like Suazo in Monterrey or Chucho in America. The only team that doesn't have any is Chivas. They too are being criticized in recent articles for not having "extranjeros" in their ranks.

As for the Liga MX, Toluca is up on top for now. Pepe's America is 4th. Surprising Tijuana is third and Chivas got their first win under Cruyff's people.

Home of Barca Fans