Debt and La Liga

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
As we are all aware, terrible management and a terrible Spanish economy means Spanish football clubs are not in particularly good shape.

For those that speak Spanish, here's a pretty shocking overview of the situation: http://www.elperiodicomediterraneo....eligro-de-descenso-administrativo_737376.html

Things are, quite frankly, awful. Ten clubs are in such bad financial shape they are in danger of relegation. Only Barcelona, Real Madrid (surprise surprise), Sevilla and Espanyol are financially secure, with Real Sociedad, Athletic Bilbao and Getafe in decent shape from previous financial issues.

The two worst cases right now are Atletico and Osasuna. Betis, Valencia, Rayo, Levante and Mallorca are all also in danger of administration. With the Spanish economy a disaster that will not get better anytime soon, it'll be hard to survive with the status quo.

Interestingly enough, despite relegation, Villarreal has zero debt.

UEFA_Barça_Chris

o Fenômeno
Just out of curiosity when did La Liga teams start to fall in debt? Was it after the year of 2004? After all the years of Spanish football I seen these teams slowing growing in debt and now it has actually gone worse than I have expected.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Just out of curiosity when did La Liga teams start to fall in debt? Was it after the year of 2004? After all the years of Spanish football I seen these teams slowing growing in debt and now it has actually gone worse than I have expected.

It's been going on for quite a while, see what happened to Depor.

But until recently the Spanish economy was being propped up by a nice bubble driven by the real estate market. Spanish banks have been very strong and therefore great at keeping at least the relatively bigger clubs alive. It's no surprise a lot of the worst offenders were clubs owned by sketchy developer types, Atletico Madrid and the Gil family were pioneers of everything wrong with it.

Home of Barca Fans