2012 CdR Final: Athletic Club - FC Barcelona 0-3

La LL

Generally Delightful
Also I'm ashamed that you're not all throwing paint at me. I'm Danish. We Danish people are brutally oppressing the Faroese people. Where is your show of support for them? They want to be independent too. Why aren't you out there demanding Faroese independence!? Why are you focusing on Catalans? These poor Faroese barely get more than one man in the Danish parliament. Hate me for God's sake. I'm Danish, I'm evil because I belong to a majority group in my country with politicians who have said that "Faroese people will never be independent" or "The Faroe Islands want independence? Is this a joke? Never!".

denmark-faroe-islands.jpg

That being said guys please don't resort to personal insults, there's a reason we don't usually allow political discussion.

Yeah, sorry about that.

Last edited:

Androutsos

Okay man I am drunk seeing as it is Friday night here in NZ, so I need some help! What time tomorrow morning (for me) will this game be on? 10am right?

hellsangel1

I'm excited about watching Messi, Iniesta and the other barca players but as for the tournament,I'm not that interested. If you're Barca or Madrid, the Copa Del ray title shouldn't mean much esp. if it's the only notable title you're going to win this season.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Athletic apparently already sent word to Barcelona players about the poor condition of the pitch after their training yesterday...Sounds like it'll be an issue for both sides

DucdeOrléans

I'm excited about watching Messi, Iniesta and the other barca players but as for the tournament,I'm not that interested. If you're Barca or Madrid, the Copa Del ray title shouldn't mean much esp. if it's the only notable title you're going to win this season.

Do you regard the oldest official Spanish football competition, the second oldest domestic cup in Europe and the second most prestigious domestic cup as a irrelevant trophy? From 1902 until 1929 it was the most important cup competition and was regarded as a Spanish league title until La Liga was formed in 1929 (much latter than PL and Serie A for example).

Sure it's not La Liga or CL but it's far from being a Mickey Mouse Cup. People who claim this simply lack a historical perspective.

Last edited:

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
This is one of the few competitions where we have more trophies than Madrid and for you to disrespect a major trophy is awful.

DucdeOrléans

This is one of the few competitions where we have more trophies than Madrid and for you to disrespect a major trophy is awful.

With "one of the few competitions" you mean "only" the league and CL (actually we have 3 CL's each while RM have won 6 European Cups compared to our 1) right?

Apart from that FCB leads in every other official competition and in total FCB have won 78 official titles while RM have won 75 official titles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_records_in_Spain (you have a lot of different references and sources)

The only reason why RM have more league titles and CL/European Cup titles is their 1955-1960 dominance in the European Cup (won the first 5 editions which at that time only had 16 teams - half of them clubs such as Vörös Lobogó, Servette, Rot-Weiss Essen, Hibernian, Djurgården, Gwardia Warszawa, AGF Aarhus, Rapid Wien, Saarbrücken - hardly world beaters)

The reason why they are ahead in the league count is their absurd dominance from 1960-1980 where they won 14 league titles and FCB only managed to win 1. In fact FCB and Valencia were the only only non-Madrid teams that won the league title once each in that period.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
You're out of line with your personal attacks. If you felt sure in your case then you wouldn't be grasping at straws. And you seem to take me for being Pro-Madrid.

Right, it was me that was lecturing you from the outset about the absurdity of having an opinion on this matter

Well gee, that superiority complex of yours is unnerving. Talking to you brings back memories of discussing with 18 year old female communists back home (happens a lot). Suddenly, I'm stupid because I don't see it from their point of view. Then I'm a fascist because I don't support their ideals. Then I'm the devil because I have arguments to back up what I believe.

Right back at ya...It's always refreshing to learn how uninformed some of the forum members can be yet pass it off as fact

Deep seated issues? In a city where every street name, poster, flyer and menu is in Catalan? In a city where people from other parts of Spain are struggling to find schools for their kids where everything isn't in Catalan? Contrary to what you might think, Spain is no longer a brutal dictatorship. Spain is a a Western European country with all the benefits of one. People here are living fairly good lives or they were before the crisis. Most of the ethnic tension (which does exist) can be traced to the younger generations who embody all the romantic nationalistic ideals. It's like communists: In most Western European countries they're all young and full of ideas for how to make the world a better place. Then they grow up and realize things aren't all bad.

A Dane somehow understanding what it is to be victimized by an Imperial legacy, that's rare in this age

You don't know squat either. You think, like so many others on these boards, that by becoming a fanatical Catalanist you will become a better Barca fan or even closer to the culture. Grow up.

I don't profess to be an expert and I certainly haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express either to become proficient in the complexities of an ancient culture like the Catalans in under a year of living there...along with your non-pure Catalan friends

Haha. Your straw-grasping abilities are amazing. Did you grow up on a farm? If I mentioned genocide then it was sarcastic because there is nothing even close to resembling genocide down here. Yeah, Catalans are horribly oppressed and have been the last 30 years. I heard they're being transported to factory facilities in Madrid to be used as slave labor.

Like I said, your inability to actually stick to the subject undermines what little credibility you think your argument had

But seriously, most people these days seem fairly content with their lives (if we take away the crisis of course). They watch their plasma TV, smoke their weed in the park, kiss their lovers on the benches in the park, drink their beers and break jokes after they've taken their children to school.

You just described your demographic and to purport that that is the majority belies what little you understand about the bigger picture

Seriously, stop comparing them to Palestinians. Last I checked about the Palestinian crisis a group of Israeli farmers had descended upon a Palestinian village and started shooting at young teenagers for sport

You continue to be out of your depth here...And Catalans were never murdered by Franco's regime?...History of oppression is just that, it's not unique to Palestinians or Catalans...Then again, I didn't grow up thinking I achieve maturity through clubbing dolphins to death either

I didn't say that politics were irrelevant. But I can't vote here and neither can you. Trying to decide whether Catalunya will stay part of Spain or become independent is just something that'll give you a headache.

Maybe it does give you a headache but I never brought up Catalunya becoming independent, you did

You're blowing this out of proportions as if the PP incites regular hate. It's all a matter of lack of communication between the separatists and the unionists.

I did not blow it out of proportion anymore than the National Police or many politicians did...They called it out for what it was, irresponsible and potentially dangerous...You think all those police and protection are there because things were taken out of proportion?...You're again out of your depth here

Really? You sound pretty racist to me, keeping a Catalan purist kind of view. Only those with the right blood-line have the right to stay in this country according to you?

Fantastic conclusion to draw from what I never said but hey, you're on a roll...It's one logical fallacy after another

No it's not. But what does what they speak have to do with anything? If anything it shows that Catalan is flourishing and not being brutally suppressed. And the Basques are a different case, having a non-Latin culture, language and history dating back to before the Romans. The Basques are nationalists on another level hombre.

Where did I suggest brutality currently, eh chico?...You can repeat it as often as you like but it still wouldn't make it something I said

You are mistaking and you're not listening to what I've been saying. I'm not saying Catalanism doesn't exist. I'm not saying Catalunya won't become an independent country. I'm not saying that there aren't plenty of Catalans who want to be independent.

So next time read posts more carefully before responding and taking things onto a tangent

What I'm saying is that it's not as a black and white as people on these forums think. I'm saying people are more split about it down here than you think they are. I'm saying there are also a lot who really don't mind the current status quo of being part of Spain.

I never debated whether there are Catalans who are quite content with the status quo or not, you are failing to see how you've lost your way and are trying to have a different discussion

Research done from abroad on your computer does not give you anything but numbers and statistics. Numbers and statistics lie. You have to get whiff of the atmosphere and you have to question polls. Seeing everything from one side does not grant you a neutral viewpoint. You must see things from both sides before you can make your judgement.

When you've done years of research, we can chat about what research is or how it applies to real life perhaps

I don't doubt it. I've never denied that independence weren't an option or whether it could happen. The people I've talked to down here say the same. It could happen. It might happen. But fact is that you shake your fist at me for claiming that "all Catalans don't want to become independent" (which I haven't said) but you yourself say "You are mistaken when you say catalan people wants to stay under Spanish government rule or inside Spain" which is just as erroneous as that which you claim I've said.

Find one place where I claimed anything was 100%, whether for an Independent Catalunya or not...You've, again, drawn your own conclusions and are having an argument with yourself

And, no, it is not erroneous to say that about Catalans wanting a change in how their autonomy is currently structured...A majority do, that's irrefutable

My point in this whole argument is this: Some want to become independent. Some want to stay part of Spain.. The Catalans are a big group. They can take care of themselves. They don't need any help. If independence is going to come then it's going to come from them.

Congratulations, you've could've just said that instead of admonishing others for having an opinion on matters

Last edited:

La LL

Generally Delightful
Right, it was me that was lecturing you from the outset about the absurdity of having an opinion on this matter
Well if that opinion is erroneous and based on what you read then yes it's absurd.

Right back at ya...It's always refreshing to learn how uninformed some of the forum members can be yet pass it off as fact
Seems like we're both uninformed forum members then. Don't pretend you're not one of them.

A Dane somehow understanding what it is to be victimized by an Imperial legacy, that's rare in this age
I don't know dude. What qualifies you, Western European man?

I don't profess to be an expert and I certainly haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express either to become proficient in the complexities of an ancient culture like the Catalans in under a year of living there...along with your non-pure Catalan friends
I'll just enjoy the chocolate they conveniently placed on my pillow while I listen to your deep insight into the matter because you know so much about it.

Oh-ho.. non-pure Catalan friends...

Like I said, your inability to actually stick to the subject undermines what little credibility you think your argument had
What? Me? And you acting like a bored trophy wife getting all involved in matters that you can hardly relate to makes you more qualified?

You just described your demographic and to purport that that is the majority belies what little you understand about the bigger picture
Man, do you listen to yourself? So all of the Catalans are eating their food in the gutter? Have you been here? if anything they're living better lives than most people in the rest of Spain.

You continue to be out of your depth here...And Catalans were never murdered by Franco's regime?...History of oppression is just that, it's not unique to Palestinians or Catalans...Then again, I didn't grow up thinking I achieve maturity through clubbing dolphins to death either
The difference here hombre is that Franco's regime ended some 30 years ago. Get with the times please, we can't all get stuck in 1975.

Maybe it does give you a headache but I never brought up Catalunya becoming independent, you did
Why would you respond to my original post and pull out all these pro-Catalan arguments if you do not support it?

I did not blow it out of proportion anymore than the National Police or many politicians did...They called it out for what it was, irresponsible and potentially dangerous...You think all those police and protection are there because things were taken out of proportion?...You're again out of your depth here
And you're reading too many newspapers and articles.

Fantastic conclusion to draw from what I never said but hey, you're on a roll...It's one logical fallacy after another
Well you pulled the racist card before I did so what does that make you?

Where did I suggest brutality currently, eh chico?...You can repeat it as often as you like but it still wouldn't make it something I said
Well how else are you supposed to brutally oppress the Catalans to make them poor victims so it can justify your anti-Spanish sentiment.

So next time read posts more carefully before responding and taking things onto a tangent
Right back at you tio.

I never debated whether there are Catalans who are quite content with the status quo or not, you are failing to see how you've lost your way and are trying to have a different discussion
Then why are you making this whole issue out to be such a big deal?

When you've done years of research, we can chat about what research is or how it applies to real life perhaps
An old friend of mine once said "Reading a book doesn't make you smart".

Find one place where I claimed anything was 100%, whether for an Independent Catalunya or not...You've, again, drawn your own conclusions and are having an argument with yourself

And, no, it is not erroneous to say that about Catalans wanting a change in how their autonomy is currently structured...A majority do, that's irrefutable
Alright, leave it up to them. They're a proud, lovely people and they'll figure it out.

Congratulations, you've could've just said that instead of admonishing others for having an opinion on matters
When that opinion is irresponsibly hateful and based on vague material then it becomes harmful. If you haven't noticed I'm not being overly aggressive towards either part. I'm not calling the Catalans chauvinistic and I'm not calling the Spaniards oppressors.

I'd love to stay and chat but I'll be going to Logroño with some mates. I think you and I both need a timeout.

Last edited:

MagIX

Athletic apparently already sent word to Barcelona players about the poor condition of the pitch after their training yesterday...Sounds like it'll be an issue for both sides

not for both side, mainly for us!
My biggest concern before every match has always been the condition of the pitch. A poor condition of the pitch has always reduced the quality of our game, more than any other team, because we base our game on skill and talent 100 times more than any other team (indeed, a poor condition of the pitch has always been welcome by our opponents and has always been an advantage for them).
I would almost say that our game quality is nearly proportional of the conditon of the pitch.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Seems like we're both uninformed forum members then. Don't pretend you're not one of them.

Better, you're only half wrong now

Man, do you listen to yourself? So all of the Catalans are eating their food in the gutter? Have you been here? if anything they're living better lives than most people in the rest of Spain.

Your conclusion, not mine...Again, you're on yet another tangent

The difference here hombre is that Franco's regime ended some 30 years ago. Get with the times please, we can't all get stuck in 1975.

Wow, 30 years...History sure does cover such a lonnnng time, doesn't it for a culture that is centuries old

Why would you respond to my original post and pull out all these pro-Catalan arguments if you do not support it?

Not sure how many different ways I can explain it but you admonished myself and others for having an opinion on Aguirre and the circumstances leading up to this match...Just because you've lost your way since then does not make me culpable, you're a big boy living in the big city - figure it out

And you're reading too many newspapers and articles.

That's a first to hear an argument calling for learning less to achieve understanding, that clears up your failings at least

Well you pulled the racist card before I did so what does that make you?

Sure I did, love to see that evidence of me bringing up purity in race ahead of you...It's dizzying, truly

An old friend of mine once said "Reading a book doesn't make you smart".

Ignorance isn't bliss

When that opinion is irresponsibly hateful and based on vague material then it becomes harmful. If you haven't noticed I'm not being overly aggressive towards either part. I'm not calling the Catalans chauvinistic and I'm not calling the Spaniards oppressors.

You purport to be a supporter of this club yet understand precious little about it

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
Mike , I think its alright if we stop this discussion now and carry on with the game . I am sure some members are pretty annoyed right now because we are slightly off topic . :beer2:

Home of Barca Fans