Diego Simeone

Leo_Messi

I have a love-hate relationship when it comes to Cholo. I admire his passion, his relationship with his players, the fact that his teams, regardless of how they are playing, almost always leave their heart and soul on the pitch, the fact that he has turned Atlético into a Spanish and European powerhouse, him giving chances to youngsters from both the academy and from abroad while having a good eye on talent etc.

On the other hand I feel that his pragmatic and overly defensive style is preventing Atlético from fulfilling their offensive potential. Evident by the many draws that Atlético has had in the league since 2014. Many of those matches should have been won on paper had Cholo chosen a more offensive and daring tactical approach.

On the other hand I would love to see if he could reinvent himself and add a more daring and offensive approach to his resume. If he could he would be one hell of a manager. Granted that is already the case but people should get the point here.

It is a paradox. Not a big fan of the style that he uses in Atlético but I very much admire and like him as a manager.

Curious to see how well he will do in the CL with the final being played at the Wanda. Kicking Juve out would be a tremendous start to the knockout stage.

[youtube]F9h0EqaoQik[/youtube]

I think his football philosophy did make him so great, if he would suddendly start to play more offensive football, he would lose his signature, that atletico side at their peak was just art of defending, even if you dont like that style, you have to appriciate such dedication from the players in the match, and cholo did that as a player and now as a coach

Would he won cl final if he had more offensive approach? Dont know, maybe he wouldnt play in cl final without his style of play, and atletico would be just average attacking team, like roma, arsenal, tottenham, napoli...

The most gifted managers and tacticians throughout the ages as well as today are not one trick ponies. Not saying that Cholo is a one trick pony but he has a tendency to use an overly defensive approach in games, especially away from home, against opponents that are inferior to Atlético as a collective and individually and such an approach has bitten his ass countless of times since their league title win in 2013-14. At times you have to be more flexible in particular when you arguably have the most offensively talented team (Atlético) to this date during your tenure.

His standard approach is obviously working most of the time in the CL (knockout competitions in other words) and obviously I saw very positive signs against Juve where Atlético were the most aggressive and offensive team by a significant distance. That approached proved fruitful in the end.

Pep has evolved a lot tactically since his Barça days. Reinventing yourself when needed is crucial and what puts the top, top managers apart from the good ones.

Last edited:

Cule4life

The Culest
Might just be the most overrated manager ever. Not a second facet to his game. Probably scared to venture to a bigger club where the excuses of limited finances won't apply.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Stupid arse - deserved what he got. How can you not learn from what happened to Barca, of all the clubs, if you go try to defend your score in Italy!? And Barca defense had been the best last season! And it's not even like he doesn't know how CR7 roles against bus parks by feeding on headers!!

All the stupid goals had been more or less gifted by Pathetico. The first goal was coz the defense doesn't offer a passing option to the keeper and he has to try and find CF with a stupid long ball ala Stoke! The second was coz the stupid LB can't pass it to the mid field and he tries to get to the RB which inevitably goes to the opposition who only has to cross the ball to the best heading forward in the history!! Third goal, a stupid unnecessary penalty from a foul just like the ones that the stupid brain dead Arda commits! It's like that is what this idiot teaches his team!!

Leo_Messi

The most gifted managers and tacticians throughout the ages as well as today are not one trick ponies. Not saying that Cholo is a one trick pony but he has a tendency to use an overly defensive approach in games, especially away from home, against opponents that are inferior to Atlético as a collective and individually and such an approach has bitten his ass countless of times since their league title win in 2013-14. At times you have to be more flexible in particular when you arguably have the most offensively talented team (Atlético) to this date during your tenure.

His standard approach is obviously working most of the time in the CL (knockout competitions in other words) and obviously I saw very positive signs against Juve where Atlético were the most aggressive and offensive team by a significant distance. That approached proved fruitful in the end.

Pep has evolved a lot tactically since his Barça days. Reinventing yourself when needed is crucial and what puts the top, top managers apart from the good ones.

Never expected such a collapse from Atlético or Simeone. Even despite my criticism above (that proved to be Cholo's end and failure this season in the CL as well and hopefully the league too), I expected Simeone to have learned from the first leg and previous encounters against C. Ronaldo and teams who flood the penalty box with crosses nonstop much like the chokers Juve do and RM at their best under Zidane where this flooding of the box was their main freaking tactic.

Instead of being brave and more offensive (he had the lineup for such a play) he let Juve dominate every aspect of the game and was "content" sitting deep and to absorb pressure. A tactic doomed for failure with weak individual players like Arias and freaking 34 year old Juanfran that guarded C. Ronaldo for his first header 5 meters away from goal:facepalm:

Insane that Simeone could not see this. Even an amateur like me could see where this was going after just the first freaking 15 minutes.

With Lucas Hernández available and Filipe it would have been a different match. Let alone Partey or Costa. However that should not be an excuse at all. They had one job to do to seal the tie. Just score. Once and it would be over. Instead they created nothing.

Juventus played very well, it has to be said, worked their asses off much more than Atlético too (I would have expected the opposite) but Atlético were pathetically bad. Might have been worse than even we were against Roma last year and that is saying something!

Been saying it for years now. Simeone needs to add other tactical approaches to his game and become more brave offensively. Allegri went all in yesterday and it paid off. It usually does.

I think his football philosophy did make him so great, if he would suddendly start to play more offensive football, he would lose his signature, that atletico side at their peak was just art of defending, even if you dont like that style, you have to appriciate such dedication from the players in the match, and cholo did that as a player and now as a coach

Would he won cl final if he had more offensive approach? Dont know, maybe he wouldnt play in cl final without his style of play, and atletico would be just average attacking team, like roma, arsenal, tottenham, napoli...

Hopefully you will understand what I meant after yesterday night's game.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans