Thierry Henry vs Samuel Eto'o

Henry vs Eto'o

• Total voters

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
So who's the better player over the course of their career? Henry or Eto'o?

Please discuss...

EDIT: The poll is not to measure who's been a better player for Barca... There's no doubt Eto'o is a Barca legend and Henry can't come close to that status.

Last edited:

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Firstly let me say that both are great, great players. I don't want that to get lost in this debate.

I believe that Samuel Eto'o was the better player and striker. For me Eto'o was the best striker in the world from 2005-2010, and arguably still is the best striker in the world, it could be argued still for him for that accolade.

Henry was more versatile but this doesn't mean he was the better player, it just means that he was effective in each position he was deployed at.

Eto'o to me was the perfect striker. Pace, energy, intelligence, finishing, dribbling and most importantly, which imo, Henry lacked, Mental Toughness. Eto'o exuded all those attributes and more for Barca. He in terms of being the goal threat, was Barca's main man. Yes he had brilliant support in Ronaldinho, Deco, Xavi et al, but it takes two to tango. He had to get into those positions, he had to read the play and he used his ability to take advantage of that. Eto'o for that period was the most lethal striker in the world. One chance it all it took for him.

Eto'o never carried Barcelona but Henry never, EVER carried Arsenal. Just wanted to clear that up. Arsenal of that period are not the Arsenal you see now with RVP carrying them. Arsenal had a great back 4, Pires and Vieira and Gilberto in midfield and Henry had the best partner he could ever wish have wanted in Bergkamp. It was Bergkamp's intelligence, Bergkamp's brilliance that created many goals for Henry. So please Henry did not carry Arsenal.

People will go one to say well look at their stats and Henry had more goals and assists. This is not taking into consideration two very important things. One Eto'o spent 2000-04 at Mallorca, a mid table side at best and goal scoring opportunities being created would have been minimal. Therefore the chances for Eto'o to score or assist would have been way smaller compared to Henry at that time. Secondly from 2000-04 Arsenal were either the best or 2nd best team in England - by a country mile and particularly from 02-04 Arsenal had one of the best teams around and chances created were the highest in the league, thus Henry had plenty of chances to score and get his assists up.

There is also the opinion that because Henry played on the wings at Barca this could possibly make up for this. But let us not kid ourselves by suggesting that playing on the wings at Barca in 08,09 was the same as playing on the wings at any other club. Henry was never a conventional winger at Barca and you all know this.

Also I do not believe Henry had the mental toughness nor the bottle that Eto'o displayed. On numerous occasions (Many CL games, 2001 FA Cup final, important league games) Henry bottled it for Arsenal. Also was it a coincidence that when Henry was made leader of Arsenal, Arsenal never won a trophy?

Eto'o never bottled game (that I saw) He showed his mental toughness on the big occasions moreso than Henry.

This is why to me Eto'o will forever be the better player than Henry.

But please remember my first sentence. Henry is a great, great player and that for me is not up for debate.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Henry : 332 goals & 171 assists in 706 matches.
Now excluding his statistics for New York Bulls,
Henry : 306 goals & 158 assists in 657 matches

Eto'o : 258 goals & 60 assists in 487 matches.

Stats speak for themselves in this case, both being phenomenal strikers.
For me, Henry has performed great both as a striker as well as a wide forward...

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Henry : 332 goals & 171 assists in 706 matches.
Now excluding his statistics for New York Bulls,
Henry : 306 goals & 158 assists in 657 matches

Eto'o : 258 goals & 60 assists in 487 matches.

Stats speak for themselves in this case, both being phenomenal strikers.
For me, Henry has performed great both as a striker as well as a wide forward...

But as I stated Stats don't speak for themselves, which I explained.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
People will go one to say well look at their stats and Henry had more goals and assists. This is not taking into consideration two very important things. One Eto'o spent 2000-04 at Mallorca, a mid table side at best and goal scoring opportunities being created would have been minimal. Therefore the chances for Eto'o to score or assist would have been way smaller compared to Henry at that time. Secondly from 2000-04 Arsenal were either the best or 2nd best team in England - by a country mile and particularly from 02-04 Arsenal had one of the best teams around and chances created were the highest in the league, thus Henry had plenty of chances to score and get his assists up.
Eto'o played four seasons at Mallorca yeah... But he signed for Barcelona when he was 23 years old, just reaching his peak. Henry signed for Arsenal when he was 22 years old, so both started their adventure with the elite just around the same age.

And Eto'o played a CF through out his career, which explains why he has a better goal scoring ratio compared to Henry.
Henry played in wings until he came to Arsenal and then he played a wide forward for three years at Barcelona. All in all only 8 years did he play a conventional CF. Still he scored an epic number of goals!!

There is also the opinion that because Henry played on the wings at Barca this could possibly make up for this. But let us not kid ourselves by suggesting that playing on the wings at Barca in 08,09 was the same as playing on the wings at any other club. Henry was never a conventional winger at Barca and you all know this.
In 08-09 he was a 30 year old, doing his thing from the wing. You have to give him credit for the number of goals he scored from the wide position instead of taking it away because it was the mighty Barcelona, at their best, that he was playing for. He was probably more important to the team than Eto'o was during that season. You have to understand that, Barca still couldn't find an able replacement for Henry of 08-09. Villa is the one who came close, and you can see there are many who aren't much satisfied with Villa

Also I do not believe Henry had the mental toughness nor the bottle that Eto'o displayed. On numerous occasions (Many CL games, 2001 FA Cup final, important league games) Henry bottled it for Arsenal. Also was it a coincidence that when Henry was made leader of Arsenal, Arsenal never won a trophy?

Eto'o never bottled game (that I saw) He showed his mental toughness on the big occasions moreso than Henry.
I'm not sure if Henry really was indeed a bottler. He's proved his worth at the most fearsome venues through out his career!!

Galning

Shit I voted Eto'o through the poll section on the main page, didn't know the question was career wise overall.
I think Henry wins it then.. or maybe that's just because English media hype their players a lot more.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Shit I voted Eto'o through the poll section on the main page, didn't know the question was career wise overall.
I think Henry wins it then.. or maybe that's just because English media hype their players a lot more.
then edit it! Aren't you a mod!?

Yes the English hype their players a lot... But then Eto'o is a Barca legend, more so than Henry, and I'm sure Henry is at a disadvantage here ;)

Barca_070

Henry on his best was better then Eto'o on his best. How he destroyed Madrid, woow. But in Barca-time i would choose Eto'o.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Henry played out wide for Juventus but at Monaco was used as a centre forward, before his journey at Arsenal. Henry had a world cup and time at Monaco before his Arsenal career. Eto'o had 3 games at Real Madrid, coming from Cameroon, before a few loan spells before his spell at Mallorca. Hardly the same scenario at those ages Estel. Henry before his time at Arsenal was a full international, Eto'o was a nobody before Mallorca.

I give credit to Henry in 08-09 of course, but as I said he was never a conventional winger. I believe you missed Eto'o more in 09/10 than Henry's form of 08/09. You missed Eto'o and his lethalness. He showed it at Inter and won the treble. Again.

Henry proved his worth many, many times. Never said he didn't. Just said I believe he sometimes bottled big games for Arsenal and that when he was granted the leadership at Arsenal, Arsenal floundered.

M

mitkoa7x

Its hard but I'll go with Samu, he gave us the equalizer in 2006. Eto'o's peak was at Barca while Henry's was in Arsenal.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Emile Heskey was better than them both. Power, Pace, strength. Good old Ivanhoe had it all. P.s. Don't tell Estel this, but his beard sucks :p

abual3bed1

I'll go with Samu any day, he did well throughout his career even with small clubs like Mallorca as he was their legend and I guess he's till today their top goal scorer of all times (?).

needless to speak about his Barca time or even Inter where he was their best player for 2 seasons without any doubt. don't know about him in Anzhi so much, but still Eto'o will always be my choice.

Titi isn't bad, no one can say that but he had some major ups and downs in his career which could've made him more legendery than he already is.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Henry played out wide for Juventus but at Monaco was used as a centre forward, before his journey at Arsenal. Henry had a world cup and time at Monaco before his Arsenal career. Eto'o had 3 games at Real Madrid, coming from Cameroon, before a few loan spells before his spell at Mallorca. Hardly the same scenario at those ages Estel. Henry before his time at Arsenal was a full international, Eto'o was a nobody before Mallorca.
Eto'o won CAN even before he signed for Mallorca Ed...

I give credit to Henry in 08-09 of course, but as I said he was never a conventional winger. I believe you missed Eto'o more in 09/10 than Henry's form of 08/09. You missed Eto'o and his lethalness. He showed it at Inter and won the treble. Again.
Messi was even more lethal, playing centrally, than Eto'o in 09/10. But there's a reason Pep bought David Villa for such a huge amount for the following season... He realised the need of a quality wide forward, he really missed the width that Henry provided the previous season!!
Theoretically speaking Henry was still here in 09/10 so we'd obviously missed Eto'o and not Henry, but the fcuker just couldn't care less for us any more :angry:

Henry proved his worth many, many times. Never said he didn't. Just said I believe he sometimes bottled big games for Arsenal and that when he was granted the leadership at Arsenal, Arsenal floundered.
It's just perception... For me, Cesc chokes but then he's provided the winner in a WC final!!

Last edited:

hellsangel1

I'd go with Samuel but it's close. This guy was the best striker of his generation.

Henry was great as well but at their best I'd take Samu over Thierry.

Home of Barca Fans