La Liga race for the 4th spot -

Who'll finish 4th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zanela

Who'll take it?

Whilst the 3 CL places 've been decided. One is yet to be determined. The Last Jornada will decide who heads in to the Champions League playoffs.

This is how they stand:

4. Malaga 55pts
5. A.Madrid 53
6. Mallorca 52
7. Levante 52

Realistically, there are 3 contenders - Malaga, A.Madrid and Levante (as Malaga holds the H-H advantage over Mallorca).

The Likely scenarios

1. Malaga wins - They finish 4th irrespective of the other results.
2. Malaga draws and Atlético Madrid wins - The Madrid club goes ahead of Malaga on H-H.
3. Malaga Loses, A.Madrid Loses/draws and Levante wins - Levante goes ahead of Malaga on H-H.

The Fixtures

Malaga host Sporting de Gijón, who are fighting for their lives. The latter HAVE to take 3 points for any chance of survival. They are coming on the back of a win, whilst Malaga have suffered consecutive losses (a bit unlucky for having a goal disallowed in the last one). The stakes are high for either sides. Expect this to be hard fought intense 90 mins, resulting in a heartbreak for atleast one set of fans.

Atlético Madrid travel to El Madrigal 4 days after having played the Europa League final. The Yellow Submarine is fighting relegation, a loss for them could still keep them up but its dependant on other results, which is y they'd hope to take all 3 points to assure their LL run. And whilst fatigue could play a factor for the Madrid side, they've been on the up, with luck playing its part. A.Madrid would know getting a win could yet get them in Europe. Another hard fought match, with both teams looking for nothing less than 3 points.

Levante play host to Athletic Bilbao. Bilbao have their EL place secured, and have nothing to play for. And going by their domestic results post EL outings (this time they've the finals), I expect Levante to take all 3 points here.

-----------------------------

Whilst Levante have done remarkable this season. Finishing 4th (as much as the majority Liga folks here are cheerin' for it to happen) would prove fatal to their LL campaign next season. They don't 've the resources to compete on two fronts. i.e if they even manage to qualify to the GS. Atlético Madrid would probably just crash out of the group stages. Easy group, hard group, they'll just find a way to embarass the league somehow. (same goes for Los Che as well actually)

Malaga would be the best bet. A European place would enable quality reinforcements, and if not in the immediate term, they can build on the experience, and eventually prove to be a better LL representative in Europe, both for the competition and the League's coefficient in the long run.

----------------------------
So Ladies and Gents, who'll finish 4th? :D

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Nice thread zanela :)
Voted Atletico. Yes, Malaga stands the better chance but I do like Sporting and prefer Atletico over Malaga.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Malaga will beat Sporting Gijon, but I'd love Levante to do it. May not help la liga in terms of coefficients, however the story of Levante is too big for me not to root for them for 4th.

B

barcelonista

Holy cow on a bike. I just realised that Atletico will play against Villarreal. One is playing for a CL spot. The other against relegation. Of course I hope Villarreal don't get relegated. So I won't root for Patetico. Malaga or Levante for me. Sporting can get relegated for all I care since they fired Preciado. I'll go with Malaga. With the money + CL football they might attract even more quality players. Which is good for the league.

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
Malaga are fast improving and champions league football might make them even better just what the Spanish League needs top teams who can challenge for the title.
Malaga to qualify.

Bilal Khan

Tito > Mou
I hope atletico just dont finish 4th, they will just go in there to embarrass la liga .

Malaga or Levante.

hopefully Malaga cuz they have the financial backing to create squad for all three fronts.

although the Levante fairytale deserves it too.

poltergeist

It's Malaga's to lose but contrary to what most think, I think Atletico would do very well if they qualified for the CL. They have a fantastic team and they've done well in Europe this season - 11 straight wins.

Malaga will finish 4th but I'd prefer Atletico.

Theconomist

Malaga will keep getting better and better whereas we are used to Pathetico disappointing over and over again.
Watch Bilbao slaughter them in the EL final tonight.

Home of Barca Fans