Raphael Varane

E

estranged

Okay, tell me now... What are you smoking?

Shit forgot about that, but cant blame for for trying to state that he has undoubtedly been one of the best center backs in the world for the past 4 years (at lest before this season) but yea we get it man, you're a football expert and the best fan since u remembered he wasn't playing for Spain in 2008 ;)

Maria

He could compliment Ramos a lot more than Pepe I think, he is going to be fantastic but he will need much more playing time. I also think he will be better than Pique. :troll:

He certainly has the potential to be at least as better as Pique was till last year..I'm sorry that Pep didn't bought Varane or someone like him because, unlike Zanela, I'm not so excited with the CBs from La Masia.

zanela

He certainly has the potential to be at least as better as Pique was till last year..I'm sorry that Pep didn't bought Varane or someone like him because, unlike Zanela, I'm not so excited with the CBs from La Masia.

Not many were excited about Pedro or Busi (even Piqué for that matter) during their first team induction. And had we not stayed persistent with Valdés, he'd not 've become an asset for us either. Our canteros whatever the position (or the talent) deserve to be given a fair chance before we discard them is my firm belief. They deserve atleast that much.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
It all depends on development, potential alone is not enough so he will need to be coached, and coached properly but if you were to count the good things about him is that he has an unbelievable amount of confidence for a 19 year old playing for Real Madrid. The time where he will be truly tested will come, because Real Madrid do burn player and burn them beyond recovery I am afraid. If he makes it though, you cannot doubt that he will be unplayable, with his height, ball technique, and his tackling he is quite something. He does have a bit of flair for a defender too which is always welcome. His eye for goal is also an awesome attribute and if he were to play next to Ramos we'd have three goal scoring defenders.

He is far from proven, and his reliability is unknown but having him in our team definitely is exciting for me. He has been involved in a mistake that cost us a goal, so this video may show that he is ridiculously amazing but he is not, not yet anyway. What I like about him is that he needs little guidance, he is self driven, something Pique lacks but how much of a big game player is he? We will see, but I would not bet money against him.

My only concern is, what type of defender is he? A sweeper or a charger? What made Pique absolutely phenomenal was the same reason Marquez was phenomenal, both played sweeper to a charger, complimented puyol perfectly. If Varane is a sweeper, which I believe he is with his speed and reading of the game, then we would have a winning center back partnership for sure, for at least the next 6-7 years. If he plays and commits like Ramos, then we would be in trouble, because they both like to charge.

Another point I would slightly be concerned about his decision making skills, he likes to tackle, drop in and push the ball away, I'd like to see him get comfortable dispossessing his opponent standing up, because they would give him the chance to distribute the ball after wards, something shockingly good for someone his age.

El Gato

Villarato!
Yes, the only thing he really seemed to struggle with is playing defense while standing up. Many of the highlights seem to be him making a great timed tackle on point, but he doesn't yet seem greatly comfortable while staying on his feet and not conceding his position easily. His positioning and breaking defensive line when necessary was also an issue with some miscommunications (can be blamed on language barrier tho) and not playing too safe on defense. He will iron these issues out I'm sure. He will get a plenty of support in this club. Not often Mourinho reaches out for a youngster.

My other concern is the fact that neither Ramos nor Pepe are greatly injury prone and the only chance he may get is when they are suspended, playing in a cup game or irrelevant Champions League fixture. And it doesn't seem that Albiol, whose work ethic Mourinho seems to admire more, is anywhere close to leaving so he will probably be the 3rd choice.

Last edited:

Maria

Not many were excited about Pedro or Busi (even Piqué for that matter) during their first team induction. And had we not stayed persistent with Valdés, he'd not 've become an asset for us either. Our canteros whatever the position (or the talent) deserve to be given a fair chance before we discard them is my firm belief. They deserve atleast that much.

I agree with you..but I expected more from Bartra and Muniesa this year, especially from the first one. The talent is there, but I don't want to see them commited only when they are playing with the first team.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I agree with you..but I expected more from Bartra and Muniesa this year, especially from the first one. The talent is there, but I don't want to see them commited only when they are playing with the first team.

There is a thread for your less than quality boys, this is reserved for the awesome and exquisite, La Liga champion, Raphael Varane.

Maria

There is a thread for your less than quality boys, this is reserved for the awesome and exquisite, La Liga champion, Raphael Varane.

There's a forum(probably) for your more than dirty boys..this one is reserved for the world champions, mes que un club, FC Barcelona . :p

El Gato

Villarato!
Except the guy is literally presenting himself like a top class center back. If he plays like that consistently there is no reason why Ramos should come back into the lineup. Even though he will, because of captaincy. The guy is quality. He has the size, the speed, the brain, the cold blood. If he makes progress naturally he will be a top top TOP man very shortly.

Beast

The Observer
Excellent game by Varane tonight .. 10 out of 10

this was his baptism and what a baptism it was

Fourteen

Monster Masch
I've been waiting to see when he would finally start to build himself a portfolio and to begin at 19 for Real Madrid in a closely watched (for more reasons than one) Champions League game against the champions of England is very impressive. Let's hope Barca is his bogey team though.

Home of Barca Fans