Álvaro Pereira

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
I approve. Anyway in regards to a defender his defending should be a higher priority then his attacking play.
all this with being our LB defender who is not asked to push up the flank like alves does but goes up occasionally if the space is there and he does have the talent to do damage if given the space

PaulFCB

Banned
Alvaro Pereira has a release clause of 20 million, I think he is a option for LB, haven't seen him since Porto's Europa League final in Dublin.

B

beautifulgame

Alvaro Pereira has a release clause of 20 million, I think he is a option for LB, haven't seen him since Porto's Europa League final in Dublin.

I'd definitely take Alvaro for 20 over Alba for 13.

20 is reasonable.

do it.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Is he good defensively and how tall is he.

He's 1.84 m tall.

He's another wingback, meaning he basically was trained as a winger and therefore focuses on attacking and has no discipline when it comes to positioning, meaning he's no Abidal. But he's better defensively than a lot of the names mentioned, he's physical, fast and will work for the ball. He's also familiar with both 4-3-3 and 3-4-3.

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
He's 1.84 m tall.

He's another wingback, meaning he basically was trained as a winger and therefore focuses on attacking and has no discipline when it comes to positioning, meaning he's no Abidal. But he's better defensively than a lot of the names mentioned, he's physical, fast and will work for the ball. He's also familiar with both 4-3-3 and 3-4-3.
No discipline is the problem Alves on 1 side and the other too with an attack minded player is too risky but if he can develop that side of him then he looks good,anyway we have no option other than to buy him, Alaba looks good but Bayern wont sell and the likes of Bale and Alba are too attack minded so we have to buy him then.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I don't like the idea of two wingbacks at once unless it's in front of a 3 man backline myself. But considering the options Pereira makes a lot more sense than Alba or Bale.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I don't like the idea of two wingbacks at once unless it's in front of a 3 man backline myself. But considering the options Pereira makes a lot more sense than Alba or Bale.

more sense than Bale, sure, but Alba? a Catalan La Masia graduate who would take about five seconds to settle into the team AND would cost less? no.

and look, Tabarez plays Maxi Pereira at RB, so he has a tolerance for attack-happy fullbacks... but does he let Alvaro near LB? does he trust him to play a balanced role? no. he plays Caceres there and lets Alvaro run amok up-front. that makes me wonder about his defensive qualities much much more than 'Arry and Gary Speed (may he rest in peace) playing Bale as a LW.

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
more sense than Bale, sure, but Alba? a Catalan La Masia graduate who would take about five seconds to settle into the team AND would cost less? no.

and look, Tabarez plays Maxi Pereira at RB, so he has a tolerance for attack-happy fullbacks... but does he let Alvaro near LB? does he trust him to play a balanced role? no. he plays Caceres there and lets Alvaro run amok up-front. that makes me wonder about his defensive qualities much much more than 'Arry and Gary Speed (may he rest in peace) playing Bale as a LW.
The guys mentioned above that he has a good physique that is the reason he is better option than Alba but have to agree that Alba would settle in very soon and cost less money but his defensive side is not that good and he is very short too.

Diogo28

This is a hell of a player.
He perform well both in atack and defense.

Nice purchase, but expensive as usual in Porto players.
They are good, so you have to pay the right price

La Furia

Legion of Doooom

Tabarez uses like 4 or 5 different formations though, Sometimes he uses Alvaro as a wingback, in a lot of instances he uses Caceres on the left and Alvaro in front of him, but in that case Urugauay is often playing a slightly off-kilter 3-4-3 with Maxi a bit deeper. But part of that has to do with the fact that Alvaro is a more multi-dimensional attacker while Maxi can only run in a straight line. Alvaro is not exactly a guy who will bring defensive responsibility but he plays LB plenty of times, and in Uruguay there's shifting roles so it's hard to judge absolutes from that.

Oh, and technically Alba isn't a "graduate", he was basically a la masia reject who the club gave up on when he was 16. He was also never a fullback at Barcelona, he was trained entirely as a winger until Valencia decided to convert him. I know your theory that every Catalan who ever stepped foot in the Barcelona youth ranks has a mystical connection, and he's no doubt a very technical player familiar with the league, but we are talking a guy who was a fringe prospect until Valencia saw something in him.

And there's also the fact that Alba is a slight player. Pereira is not an intelligent defender but he has tracks back and the physical edge makes a difference.

Last edited:
P

PhilS

The top clubs have to consider anyone who starts for Uruguay, that is one fine team, and he is one of their best players.

Home of Barca Fans