David Alaba

Jägermeister

Realistically we can pay 60-70m for both, This is a rare opportunity, instead, we are chasing Lautaro Martinez or Abidal is looking for another French.

Didn?t Barto literally say to Sport that we will not sign Lautaro this year? If we offload Vidal and Rakitic, Alaba and Thiago would be great, despite their age.

Andresito

Staff member
I'm not 100% convinced. His wages are apparently very high, so if we buy him he needs to be a starter.

LB: Alba is probably the amigo with least concern at the moment. Heavily reliant on pace but does his job.
LCB: Lenglet has improved and I don't think Alaba would be that much of an improvement.
CM: I don't think Alaba is good enough to play here regularly for Barca.

Best position for him is probably LB and while I think he'd be very useful, he's not the player he once were.

For the money we are going to spend he's a small upgrade.
With Bartomeu counting every penny Alaba shouldn't be a priority now. Would be a lot different had he been right footed though.

Vilarrubi

I'm not 100% convinced. His wages are apparently very high, so if we buy him he needs to be a starter.

LB: Alba is probably the amigo with least concern at the moment. Heavily reliant on pace but does his job.
LCB: Lenglet has improved and I don't think Alaba would be that much of an improvement.
CM: I don't think Alaba is good enough to play here regularly for Barca.

Best position for him is probably LB and while I think he'd be very useful, he's not the player he once were.

For the money we are going to spend he's a small upgrade.
With Bartomeu counting every penny Alaba shouldn't be a priority now. Would be a lot different had he been right footed though.

Good points.

What about Thiago? Thiago-FDJ-Pjanic would be nice. But can’t see Busi being a bench player and depends how much they’ll rely on Puig next season.

behindbrowneyes

Tbf it is much more likely that Thiago will leave than Alaba. Thiago has told Bayern that "he wants a new challenge" while Alaba knows what he has at Bayern and his manager is still negotiating. You can get Thiago for about 30M this summer. Alaba will cost "much more" according to German media.

Alaba just wants a better contract and his manager asked for twice the salary. They are doing the same what Umtiti's agent did with the United-rumours. In the end they'll find a solution. He'll earn more than now, but not what they are demanding. Only Barcelona would be that stupid, but right now the club cannot afford somebody like Alaba (salary + transfer fee).

Thiago might be affordable, but I doubt the club will go after another midfielder after the Arthur-Pjanic swap.

Andresito

Staff member
Good points.

What about Thiago? Thiago-FDJ-Pjanic would be nice. But can’t see Busi being a bench player and depends how much they’ll rely on Puig next season.

Thiago would've been perfect for us. But with Pjanic bought I can't see us spending money on the same type of player - a not so physical, ball playing midfielder.

I don't think Thiago and Pjanic would work very well together tbh, not with Frenkie behind them. Can't really have 3 ball loving midfielders together.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
What were our plans for Alaba? For him and Alba to rotate or were we planning to use him in other positions also?

George_Costanza

President Herbert Hainer says the club have withdraw their offer for David Alaba. The deadline set by the club was by the end of October and it passed [@BR24sport]

JamDav1982

Reports saying his agent plans to speak with Chelsea.

That EPL is going to become like NBA and others like leagues primarily feeder clubs to it bar a few huge clubs having strong teams now and again.

olivis

That EPL is going to become like NBA and others like leagues primarily feeder clubs to it bar a few huge clubs having strong teams now and again.

English press links every player to PL clubs and then make up excuses when they fail to land them.

There is no way Alaba is even considering Chelsea.

JamDav1982

English press links every player to PL clubs and then make up excuses when they fail to land them.

There is no way Alaba is even considering Chelsea.

EPL is landing more of its targets these days than anywhere else so I am sure they are fine with it.

Regardless it is the German press so you are wrong anyway.

FinBarcelonafan

True. Spanish and other top leagues need to wake up. They need to compete Vs English league.

Home of Barca Fans