David Alaba

1993Kaan1993

Alaba is just an average Cb. Weak on 1 vs 1 defending, weak on reading game, not fast. He is 29.Paying him 11-12 m net wages is crazy.

There was a reason why BM has the worst defence along with Barca among top clubs. Boateng is too limited, too.

Andresito

Staff member
Under no circumstances would I want him to come. Soon 29 and not really a world class player anymore. Alaba is meh compared to the amount of money he's asking.

vuji_31

Same opinion.

Average.

Not single world class trait in him.
Tired of these signings that brings nothing

mc_lovin

Verbal pact between Laporta-Zahavi-Ramadani for David Alaba last week. Now they have to talk about numbers. @Edu Polo

Not too stoked about him. Hope we just try to drive the numbers up for Madrid :p Same case as Wijnaldum for me, just a year too late.

Sorin

Aren't there rumours that he wants 10m net a year? That's steep af. Don't think it's good business giving a defender this kind of cash. Hell, don't think we can give anyone this much w/o shedding serious salary first.

Porque

The question is, is he better than Firpo, Umtiti and Lenglet? I would resoundingly say yes.

Because he can play back centre in a defensive two or trio, as well as LB and left wingback. Extremely versatile, he likes to be in midfield too but doesn't excel there.

I don't have a problem with this if it is the right price. If we sell/off-load Firpo, Umtiti, Lenglet and get Alaba and Eric Garcia for free then we have improved both the centrebacks and the backup LB/WBL.

Andresito

Staff member
The question is, is he better than Firpo, Umtiti and Lenglet? I would resoundingly say yes.

Because he can play back centre in a defensive two or trio, as well as LB and left wingback. Extremely versatile, he likes to be in midfield too but doesn't excel there.

I don't have a problem with this if it is the right price. If we sell/off-load Firpo, Umtiti, Lenglet and get Alaba and Eric Garcia for free then we have improved both the centrebacks and the backup LB/WBL.

There should be cheaper improvements. Being better than Firpo, Umtiti and Lenglet isn't something to brag about really.

And I think it's time to switch up the strategy. 29 year olds shouldn't be brought in unless they're top class and cheap. If it was VVD or Salah as free agents I'd say go for it, but Alaba is 1 or 2 tiers below. And will just be another player we won't be able to get rid of when we want.

Plus, does he want to play in defence at this point in his career? I think it's logical to think it's either lower salary = CM, or higher salary =LB/CB.

El Gato

Villarato!
Aren't there rumours that he wants 10m net a year? That's steep af. Don't think it's good business giving a defender this kind of cash. Hell, don't think we can give anyone this much w/o shedding serious salary first.

He's negotiating his highest career contract, but knows it's corona season for everyone and even those with decent finances (RM) aren't so likely to commit to that.

Expect him to eventually yield.

mc_lovin

Unpopular opinion: Lenglet is not a worse CB than Alaba (when in form and seeing this season as an accident).

You can always make it a numbers game though (selling Lenglet for 40ME? Alaba on a free etc pp). But generally another "old" player on high wages is a no for me.

Messi983

Not to convinced with him as a CB but can he still play as a LB? I'd be all in for bringing him if that means Alba would leave. Not very likely though.

Also, [MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION] made a good point here.

There will be a lot of transfer rumors the next few days. Some strange and some exciting names. The media is gonna go full overdrive into a frenzy which will probably lead to some excitement, some people being worried, others being angry.

We could be seriously in for Alaba or not interested in him at all (the same for Aguero), I'll just take rumors with a pinch of salt for forseeable future.

Only player I 100% believe will sign here in coming weeks/months is Eric Garcia.

Yannik

Unpopular opinion: Lenglet is not a worse CB than Alaba (when in form and seeing this season as an accident).

You can always make it a numbers game though (selling Lenglet for 40ME? Alaba on a free etc pp). But generally another "old" player on high wages is a no for me.

Alaba is 28 though. He's probably able to do it at the highest level for 3-5 more years, that's not that bad. Players are still great aged 30, many of them are even better than in their 20s.

Messi983

He'll be 29 in June.

I wouldn't give him anything more than a 3 year contract (with a possible club option for another year).

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Alaba’s best years are behind him, he has been declining and want high wages. Big no. Let this be a silly rumor please. Otherwise, first stinker from Laporta.

Porque

Late 20's is a different ball game when going for a CB compared to a midfielder or striker though. Pique is 34, Ramos is turning 35 and both of these guys have been good in the 30-33/34 age period (Pique with dips mainlly because of off the field interests).

On a 3 year contract you would expect to get three solid seasons before letting them leave on a free. If he is still good we can +1 a season.

Unless it is a speed merchant defender like Alberto Perea who offers nothing else bar pace of course.

If we can reduce the wage load by losing Firpo, Umtiti and Lenglet in exchange for Alaba then I am for it. Lenglet gave one good season for us which is now two and a half years ago. I have zero faith of him recovering that form for us. He is currently playing the worst he has ever played for us.

I agree though that the 24-27 age bracket is the ideal age range we should be looking for to pair with our upcoming generation, but we simply do not have the means for transfer signings of this elk. Yeah, I said Elk and meant it.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans