Giorgio Chiellini

DennyCrane

24966.jpg

Date of birth: 14 August 1984
Place of birth: Pisa, Italy
Height: 6 ft. 1 in.
Playing position: Centre Back, formerly Left Back
Current Club: Juventus F.C.

Since we'll probably need someone to replace Abidal in the upcoming season, this fella comes to mind. Actually I'm a bit surprised I found no thread about him.
Serie A defender of the year 2008, 2009, 2010. Played as a LB earlier in his career and is currently playing as a CB, so I guess he could be converted again. He's rock solid, hard tackling and excels at heading in corners and at defending set-pieces.

Opinions on him, anyone ?

W

woobie

Bit of a thuggish side to Chiello and he is no speed demon. He's been fielded as a fullback a few times this year by Conte. Given that he's basically the heart of the Juve defense, I doubt they'd let him go. Even if they would listen to offers, Chiellini doesn't really have the sort of polish I would expect to see in a Barcelona defender. I say this with all due respect to Chiellini, who I do generally like as a defender despite the club he plays for.

Edited to add that I've watched Chiello play off and on since he was on loan at Fiorentina. Remember that, Nolan?

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
He is a good defender and plays well both at CB/LB but i can't stand him he's such a little bitch.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Bit of a thuggish side to Chiello and he is no speed demon. He's been fielded as a fullback a few times this year by Conte. Given that he's basically the heart of the Juve defense, I doubt they'd let him go. Even if they would listen to offers, Chiellini doesn't really have the sort of polish I would expect to see in a Barcelona defender. I say this with all due respect to Chiellini, who I do generally like as a defender despite the club he plays for.

Edited to add that I've watched Chiello play off and on since he was on loan at Fiorentina. Remember that, Nolan?

Was a co-ownership deal actually, he was pretty good in his one year in purple for what it's worth. :lol:

Can't see him at Barca though, he's a very stereotypical old school Italian style defender, very solid and poised but also whiney with a nasty streak.

Duke

Gazzetta dello Sport claim that Real Madrid are contemplating a €22 million bid for Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini.

I say lets go for him!

XaviMessiGirl

He wouldn't want to leave & Juve would be stupid to sell him.

But about hypothetically joining Barca, though he's solid as hell he wouldn't be the perfect partner for Pique in terms of speed.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Suarez should've been sent off but what a dive by Chiellini :worthy:

And it wasn't the only time in the game

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
His attitude throughout the match was embarrassing... FIFA should consider bigger punishments for behavior like that...

I say that as a totally unrelated subject to the bite...

Morten

Wonder if he has any new tricks up his sleeve, he is such a cynical bastard. He is a true italian, thats for sure.
We will soon find out.

Leo_Messi

Wonder if he has any new tricks up his sleeve, he is such a cynical bastard. He is a true italian, thats for sure.
We will soon find out.

"True Italian". What does that even mean in this context? He is a cynical defender indeed but he is one among hundreds of such defenders.

Anyway Barzagli is Juves's best defender.

Morten

"True Italian". What does that even mean in this context? He is a cynical defender indeed but he is one among hundreds of such defenders.

Anyway Barzagli is Juves's best defender.

I know its a stereotype, but italians have a reputation for being cynical cheats and acting all innocence about it. He is the italian stereotype, but obviously its wrong to say all italians are like that. Many of them are fair, just like players from other countries, and players from other countries can be cheats too.

Home of Barca Fans