2012-2013 : What is needed ?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
No injuries and no fatigue.

We only have ourselves to blame. There was no WC or EC last summer. Yes, we were on tour, but all top teams do that.
Someone in management screwed up with scheduling and/or the coachng staff got it wrong somewhere.
That being said, I don't qute believe Barca were fatigued anyways. Our best run of the season finished just a week ago with Chelsea.

No need to change anything dramatically.

tiki-taka

So, after the worst week in 4 years of Pep team, time to reflect and see where & how to improve...

Forwarders:

- Robin v.Persie (should be the preferred choice) or
- Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

Defenders long term:

Jordi Alba & Vincent Kompany

WE WILL RULE THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and btw sell Pedro pleaseeeee he wasn't in form at the end of the last season though he scored an important goal in the CL final and that was it but after the final he just simply couldn't regain his form in the pre-season and showed that he wasn't the old Pedro anymore in the beginning of this season.

Tello & Fontas should be loaned next season.

Boris

Buy Neymar and Falcao sell Villa because he is now old and crap. Play 2-4-4 because we don't need to buy any defenders because Mascherano, Muniesa and Fontas are all brilliant.
Really ?! Villa will be back, at least 1 season. He is not relaying on his physical strength, he uses his brain to score, so yes we need Villa. He has brilliant mind. Trust in him, I do.

tiki-taka

Really ?! Villa will be back, at least 1 season. He is not relaying on his physical strength, he uses his brain to score, so yes we need Villa. He has brilliant mind. Trust in him, I do.

I believe Pep won't sell Villa because Villa when he recovers will be determined to show his value to the team and el Guaje has reached a symbolic status in Spain so Pep won't risk people criticizing by selling Villa after he recovers fully.

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
We have got to trust Villa signed him for big money and it will be a good opportunity for the young players since Villa is a little old but EL GUAJE all along for me and as for Neymar too much money to sign him and what if he flops will you guys turn against him when we sign somebody at massive prices we got to think a lot but why buy him when we have Tello Cuenca Pedro Affelay Villa Dongou(if neymar signs might not be given opportunities) and of course Messi .I am with you guys if we sign him but i don't think he will and the team is better the way it is.

i_bleed_blaugrana

1. Try to push Pep to renew his contract for two seasons, not just one. The whole frenzy around whether or not Pep is staying is getting very annoying and has to be a distraction for our camp. That way, its not too long of a contract which Pep understandably doesn't want but we don't have to constantly deal with the whole "Pep wore a blue and black stripped scarf, that means he must be going to Inter!" :stv171:

2. Buy Jordi Alba NOT Bale. Jordi Alba, IMO, is the perfect successor to the fantastic Abidal. He can be just as offensive as Dani Alves but more importantly, he is a better defender than Bale is. Plus we will have to splash at least somewhere in 45-50 million euro range for Bale while we can get Jordi Alba for probably half that. That will leave enough for us to bid for a CB which should complete our transfer needs for a while.

3. Buy a CB who will feature regularly but will be behind Pique and Puyol in the depth chart. As far as what CB, obviously I would love to have Thiago Silva, but that is a pipedream. Milan would be insane if they let him leave. I think the player we would have the best chance at getting and who will fit into the squad the best would be David Luiz (which we should have gotten sooner) but that will be difficult to negotiate and we might have to give up someone for that. That leaves Mr. Hummels in Dortmund, problem with him is that he will want a starting spot wherever he goes and that's something that I don't think he should have yet (Puyol still has a season or two left in him). Out of those three, I would prefer David Luiz because of his versatility and his fantastic control of the ball. Him and Pique at the heart of our defense in two years time sounds amazing.

4. Eliminate the Messi-Centrism of our team. I said this earlier and I will quote: "I said it earlier, this team has to stop becoming so Messi-centric. He has look tired as of late and we need to start conserving him a lot more when we get leads in less important games. I also think one of the greatest tactical adjustments that needs to be made is to move Messi back out to the RW and move Villa to the center striker role whenever we have Cesc in the side. I know the original reason Pep moved him into the middle was because Messi thinks it's easier for him to score from the middle, but for the sake of the rest of this team, this needs to happen in order for Cesc and Villa to be used to their full potential."

-Teams have figured out the way we are setup that if you shut down Messi, you shutdown how well our offense functions. That is because everything runs through Messi with him in that false 9 role. This season has shown that Messi cannot nor should he have to do everything, especially when we have players who can do the same thing that Messi can (ala Cesc and Villa) when they are put in the right position. Obviously Messi will still be our go-to man and will be our main attacking outlet, but this way by having Messi out on the RW when Villa plays, we have two very legitimate scoring threats, not just 1.5 like we did when Villa was on the LW. Also, Messi needs to stop taking all the FKs and PKs when Xavi and Villa can get the job done as well.

5. Start developing a relationship between Thiago and Cesc. They are the successors to Xavi and Iniesta and they need to play together a lot more so they can begin to develop some chemistry as the creators in chief.

6. Reinsert Villa as the center striker. Villa is far from done, but the reasons why he hasn't produced the same kind of results that we saw him do for Spain and Valencia in the past is because we are playing him out of position. He isn't a winger, he is a striker, a target man and I think if we get him back into his natural position, I can easily see him having a 30+ goal season next year and continue to be a great weapon for the next 2-3 years.

7. Pep needs to train us during the off-season so we have some tactical variety. There are other ways of playing tiki-taka, beautiful football than just 4-3-3s and 3-4-3s. I really want us to start experimenting with a 4-2-3-1, a formation that we can use to dominate possession and still have a lot of attacking options.

Tactically speaking I will post right after this some formations I drew up that I think we should consider for next season.

i_bleed_blaugrana

This ideally is how I want us to lineup to start off next year:

-Nothing too overly complicated, just a bit of a revamp of our classic 4-3-3. Nothing too surprising, and most importantly it puts all of our players in their most natural and comfortable positions.

-You will notice in any formation that Villa is in, he is the center striker no matter what. The fact that he was able to score as much as he did as a LW in his first season with us is remarkable and why Pep has continued to play him out of position is beyond me. Messi needs to be moved back out to the RW when Villa returns for the sake of the team in general, I think we will flow a lot smoother and be much more offensively balanced if Villa returns back to the center. As far as limiting Messi's scoring chances, if Ronaldo could match Messi on goals this season on the LW, there is no reason Messi can't score as much as Ronaldo has on the RW.

-Best formation to have with Cesc, Xavi, Iniesta and Dani Alves all on the same pitch at once. A 4-2-3-1 conceptually with a slightly different setup. Notice the high defensive line we will need to employ in order to accommodate defensively for our attacking wingbacks. The wingbacks will give extra width to our attack and make the necessary overlapping runs for our attacking three, that way we don't have the issue of our front three getting spread too wide and becoming isolated

-Many, I am sure, will raise an eyebrow of the defensive position I have put Xavi in. I think as he gets older, he needs to start evolving into a deeplying playmaker, very similar in nature to how Pirlo was used at Milan during Ancelotti's time there. In this setup, he can be a backup option to Cesc and should have a lot of space to run into and time on the ball. Xavi has the potential to make 6 forward, offensive passes: he has got Dani Alves to his right, he could switch field and play the long diagonal ball to Jordi Alba making that darting run down the left wing, he has the potential to play through balls to either Messi, Villa, Iniesta or Cesc and is close enough to form passing triangles with Dani Alves, Cesc, Messi and Iniesta, of course, could drop back and provide support just like he does when they are in their classic 4-3-3.

-Key players in this formation are Cesc and Jordi Alba. This formation is tailored for Cesc to flourish in, he will have much more space to run into to make those darting, dynamic runs he made when he was with Arsenal. He also has space to drop back and dictate the flow of the attack and with Messi close to his right, Villa right in front of him and Iniesta close to his left, two passing triangles are created simultaneously that will cause nightmares for defenses. The other man, Jordi Alba, is key because his runs down the wings will help keep the defenses spread and worried with him on left and Dani Alves down the right.

-This could be our go-to formation as the season progresses. If executed well, it is very, very difficult to counter, even if a Bus is parked in front of it.

Make your football formation with this11.com

-This 4-3-3 is the setup we need to take whenever we do play Messi in the false nine role. If Villa begins to dip in form offensively, Xavi and/or Iniesta need a rest or we play a slower team like Milan, this formation will function on speed, quick passes and quick breaks

-Thiago could become a much bigger influence next year due to his ability to keep our offense ticking and dominate possession like Xavi does but at a quicker rate. Here, we will make use of Messi, Cesc and Thiago's quick passing and movement that will have teams chasing a quicker ball. With Pedro and Sanchez making fast diagonal runs and again, Dani Alves and Jordi Alba on the overlap, we will still have plenty of possession. Think tiki-taka, but a few notches quicker.

-This team would also be deadly on the counter-attack. With the speed of Thiago and Cesc coming down the middle, we could break on teams in an instant, Real Madrid style if need be.

Make your football formation with this11.com

-The only 3-4-3 that can work and still be somewhat defensively sound. No Adriano/Jordi Alba or Dani Alves in this, our defenders have to be straight-laced, no non-sense defenders who are good in the air and in the tackle. Without a doubt a formation we should transition into during a game if need be when we need a goal.

I know it was a lot to look at and read, but if I was Pep, these are the tactical changes I would make for next season. Thoughts and critiques?

Last edited:

Kerrybai

We need a new striker. This was our greatest downfall this season.

A new striker does not mean byebye Villa. Most top teams in the world have two pure strikers. RM have Benz and Hig. We need a second striker too.

If we need to sell someone to make room for a new striker it should be a winger. Maybe loan out the ounger guys or even Pedro for a season.

We'll be back!

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
We need a new striker. This was our greatest downfall this season.

A new striker does not mean byebye Villa. Most top teams in the world have two pure strikers. RM have Benz and Hig. We need a second striker too.

If we need to sell someone to make room for a new striker it should be a winger. Maybe loan out the ounger guys or even Pedro for a season.

We'll be back!
Maybe it works for other top teams but i don't think it will work for us because Messi playes through the middle through and Villa will be back I'd say if we have Villa at his best thats enough quality up front.

hellsangel1

I would prefer David Luiz because of his versatility and his fantastic control of the ball. Him and Pique at the heart of our defense in two years time sounds amazing..

You've got to be kidding me. Did you see the Napoli-Chelsea first leg????David Luiz is a disaster waiting to happen and Pique is a back-up at best(there is a reason why Guardiola has benched him for the important games and why Sir Alex let him go). And on what planet can Cesc Fabregas can do the same things as Messi??? There isn't a position on the pitch where Cesc can do anything close to what Messi does.

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
You've got to be kidding me. Did you see the Napoli-Chelsea first leg????David Luiz is a disaster waiting to happen and Pique is a back-up at best(there is a reason why Guardiola has benched him for the important games and why Sir Alex let him go). And on what planet can Cesc Fabregas can do the same things as Messi??? There isn't a position on the pitch where Cesc can do anything close to what Messi does.
Ferguson let Pique go because pique wanted to and also he believed in evans there is no way Pique at his best is a back up he is one of the best CB in the world but his form since last season has been bad thats it.
As for david luiz who is the one who came up with this hope he played against us :lol:.

i_bleed_blaugrana

-Did you see the Napoli-Chelsea first leg???? Yes I did, and granted Luiz didn't have a good game, Chelsea's defense in general was an absolute disaster under AVB. If you have watched Chelsea at all under Di Matteo, David Luiz has improved drastically due to the defensive stability around him now. He can easily be coached on positioning by Pep, he has all the raw skill and ability, he just needs the right coach. Again, which is why he shouldn't be an out and out starter if we got him this summer. He would learn boatloads under the guidance of Pep and Puyol.

-there is a reason why Guardiola has benched him for the important games and why Sir Alex let him go The reason why Guardiola benched him was because he hasn't been as concentrated and focused as he has been in previous seasons. Idk where your coming up with back-up at best, Pique is world class and he was playing really well until Valdes had to go and run into him against Chelsea. There is a reason why Pique started every single game in the World Cup, and its no coincidence that they only conceded twice the entire tournament.

-There isn't a position on the pitch where Cesc can do anything close to what Messi does. Did you watch Cesc at all when he was at Arsenal? He practically played in a very similar role and area that Messi occupies now during his best years at Arsenal. Granted, he doesn't do things in the same manner that Messi does, but he was fantastic 2009-2010 scoring 23 goals because of the free role he had as the attacking midfielder who plays right behind the strikers, a position Messi coincidentally plays similarly here.

M

Messi+Eto

Cash in on fringe players:

Batra
Fontas
Jonathan
Afellay

2, Get Thiago Silva

3, Get Neymar ( since we wont be relying on Messi all the time)

4, Start shooting practice like crazy!!!! I need those Dani Alves shots from his days at Sevilla

M

Messi+Eto

-Did you see the Napoli-Chelsea first leg???? Yes I did, and granted Luiz didn't have a good game, Chelsea's defense in general was an absolute disaster under AVB. If you have watched Chelsea at all under Di Matteo, David Luiz has improved drastically due to the defensive stability around him now. He can easily be coached on positioning by Pep, he has all the raw skill and ability, he just needs the right coach. Again, which is why he shouldn't be an out and out starter if we got him this summer. He would learn boatloads under the guidance of Pep and Puyol.

-there is a reason why Guardiola has benched him for the important games and why Sir Alex let him go The reason why Guardiola benched him was because he hasn't been as concentrated and focused as he has been in previous seasons. Idk where your coming up with back-up at best, Pique is world class and he was playing really well until Valdes had to go and run into him against Chelsea. There is a reason why Pique started every single game in the World Cup, and its no coincidence that they only conceded twice the entire tournament.

-There isn't a position on the pitch where Cesc can do anything close to what Messi does. Did you watch Cesc at all when he was at Arsenal? He practically played in a very similar role and area that Messi occupies now during his best years at Arsenal. Granted, he doesn't do things in the same manner that Messi does, but he was fantastic 2009-2010 scoring 23 goals because of the free role he had as the attacking midfielder who plays right behind the strikers, a position Messi coincidentally plays similarly here.

With all due respect. . . Refrain from comparing Cesc to Messi. Whereas one is a Buick, the latter is an F1 Ferrari.

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
Cash in on fringe players:

Batra
Fontas
Jonathan
Afellay

2, Get Thiago Silva

3, Get Neymar ( since we wont be relying on Messi all the time)

4, Start shooting practice like crazy!!!! I need those Dani Alves shots from his days at Sevilla
Get Thiago silva and neymar are you crazy we have only got 45million pounds we need atleast 70 to get both of them.

Home of Barca Fans