2012-2013 : What is needed ?

W

woobie

Nice thoughts, sukhy, but I think your numbers are all significantly low. And there's also the fact that while the media's suggesting 100MM will be available for transfers, it's a hypothetical number -- and dependent on the equally hypothetical sale of some signficant players.

P

PhilS

Barca sure has looked good the last two Liga games. Yesterday, the rotation worked great. A very good opponent was convincingly beaten, without Xavi, Busquets, Pique and Alexis. I'm very optimistic about the current squad doing great next year. If Villa can come back at his former level, all that is needed is a top level LB.

Goal: VV, backup Pinto. Pinto can't last forever, but he looks like one more year should be fine.
FB: Alves, Adriano returns to back up both sides plus other positions, buy new starting LB. Abidal should not risk his life trying to return to a collision sport. Either Montoya or Muniesa, or both, can be depth, I don't think either will ever be more than squad players.
CB: Masch and Puyol. Pique also playing a lot. Pep did not seem to trust Fontas, maybe he should be sold or lent, Bartra/Montoya could be squad depth.
DM: Busquets. Keita is fine backup. Masch can backup, I think Thiago could play a lot at this position.
Midfield: More rotation needed, among Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc and Thiago. Although Keita and Afellay are fine backup, they have to be #5 and 6 on the list. No room for promotions, sell or lend them.
Centerforward: Cesc is all the backup needed. This is the only place he should play up front. Villa can also play CF.
Laterales: No Iniesta or Cesc, even in the biggest games. Figure out who to trust among Villa, Alexis, Pedro, Cuenca and Tello, do or die with them. Or change the personnel, buy a big talent who is suited for playing on the side.

There are rumors of Alves leaving, that would be huge. No matter who replaced him, the team just would not be as good. Masch has beaten out Pique as starter at CB, Pique might want to leave. Very few could come in at his level. If Keita wants to go, current players could fill that gap. Afellay and some Masia guys could be squad players, but it is hard to see them playing much at all.

JMGV196

Buy:

CB: Jan Vertoghen (BEL, AJA, 1987, 9 goals)
LW: Jordi Alba (ESP, VAL, 1989, 13 goals/Gareth Bale (WAL, TOT, 1989, 12 goals)
ST: Bas Dost (NED, HEE, 1989, 31 goals/Adrián (ESP, ATL, 1988, 19 goals)

Wouterinho

Buy:

CB: Jan Vertoghen (BEL, AJA, 1987, 9 goals)
LW: Jordi Alba (ESP, VAL, 1989, 13 goals/Gareth Bale (WAL, TOT, 1989, 12 goals)
ST: Bas Dost (NED, HEE, 1989, 31 goals/Adrián (ESP, ATL, 1988, 19 goals)
Barcelona buying Bas Dost would be the best joke in the history of football, just saying.
& if you buy alba, buy him to become a left back. We've got enough talented wingers.

F

Flavia

This sport story says that are 7 untouchables in Barça, that won't be sold for any amount of money: Valdés, Puyol, Piqué, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi.

Then there's the ones that, at first, Tito's not considering selling: Thiago, Masch, Villa and Pinto.

Dani Alves, Pedro Rodríguez, Ibrahim Afellay, Adriano Correia and Seydou Keita have an "open" future. They're valued, but there are other nuances to consider.

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
This sport story says that are 7 untouchables in Barça, that won't be sold for any amount of money: Valdés, Puyol, Piqué, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi.

Then there's the ones that, at first, Tito's not considering selling: Thiago, Masch, Villa and Pinto.

Dani Alves, Pedro Rodríguez, Ibrahim Afellay, Adriano Correia and Seydou Keita have an "open" future. They're valued, but there are other nuances to consider.
He has to stay.
What about Cesc he might be in the second category.

JMGV196

Valdes
Alves-Mascherano-Pique-Puyol
Xavi-Cesc-Iniesta
Messi-Villa-Pedro

Subs:
Pinto-Oier
Abidal-Vertoghen-Jordi Alba-Montoya-Muniesa
Keita-Thiago-Busquets-Sergi Roberto
Alexis-Bas Dost - Tello -Cuenca

Buy:
Bas Dost from SC Heerenveen at about 13,000,000 (31 goals)
Jordi Alba from Valencia at about 20,000,000
Jan Vertoghen from Ajax at less than 5,000,000 because he finishes contract.

Wouterinho

Valdes
Alves-Mascherano-Pique-Puyol
Xavi-Cesc-Iniesta
Messi-Villa-Pedro

Subs:
Pinto-Oier
Abidal-Vertoghen-Jordi Alba-Montoya-Muniesa
Keita-Thiago-Busquets-Sergi Roberto
Alexis-Bas Dost - Tello -Cuenca

Buy:
Bas Dost from SC Heerenveen at about 13,000,000 (31 goals)
Jordi Alba from Valencia at about 20,000,000
Jan Vertoghen from Ajax at less than 5,000,000 because he finishes contract.
A joke?
Sanchez and Busquets will always start and buying Bas Dost is...ridiculous (no offence).

Durden

Another non 'almost-exclusively-winger' forward/striker: Not a big money signing as we have Leo, Villa, Pedro, Alexis already. But bring a young lad up, or scout one. If anything happens to Villa again we are in big trouble (like the end half of this season). So we should have Tevez/Aguero-esque out and out striker.

2 defenders: A CB and a LB. Kompannnnnnnyyy - won't happen, but I think he's great.

Tello should be loaned for a 6 month to 1 year period: the kid can be great, but he's not there yet-and should never have been played a few weeks ago. Having said that, Pep was forced due to the point made in the first paragraph.

When possible, our starting forward three should be Leo, Villa and either Pedro or Alexis depending on the tactics and opponant (when at home, needing a more intense attack etc, go Alexis, Villa, Pedro, with Leo playing high AM-slash-second striker.

Cesc and Xavi should be rotated (and never together). Cesc for games needing a higher tempo and direct player, Xavi for games needing calm, patient build up and manipulation of space.

P

PhilS

QUite a few of the players on this year's squad are likely to improve, either because they are young and still learning, or because they will continue to integrate into this team, or because they will bounce back from injuries or off years. Most of what this team needs will come from these improvements.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Barca has much of a history of keeping around older players. This summer, next summer, the summer after that, I think all of Keita, Villa, Puyol and Xavi will depart.

Last summer, it was no surprise that Milito, Bojan and Jeffren left, they needed to go. No one really needs to go this year, though there is not enough room for all the guys coming up.

psychotsek

Out Keita (10m to PSG),Afellay(20m at least)
In Romeu,Botia,Siqueira/J.Enrique,new keeper.
Puyol and Villa have at least one or two good years ahead of them.Give Tello,Quenca,Cesc and Sanchez time to prove themselfs.Wait and see how Tito works with the team.It's next year we should focus on big names/big spending when we have a better view of things..

Hellsangel

Just my 2 cents..

Squad management
50M€ transfer budget
OUT: Keita (5M), Fontás (loan), JDS (loan), Muniesa (loan), Sergi Roberto (sold with buy back clause)
IN: Montoya (promoted), Tello (promoted), Bartra (promoted), Vertonghen (12M), Alba (13M), Van Persie (~20M)
Net spend: ~40M€

- Pep's time is over at Barça (for now), and so is Keitee's.. Thanks for your 4 years of dedication to the club!
- Muniesa needs to play regularly at a La Liga side and gain experience.
- Sergi Roberto... hmmm I think it's best to sell him with a buy back clause. I don't really believe in him.

- Montoya is a class act. Promoting him permanently will keep Dani on the tips of his toes.
- Tello gives you a unique profile that can be very useful in certain situations. I'm more positive towards him than the general consensus is on this forum. I always have the feeling he complements Messi nicely with his direct, pacey runs. Messi often looks for him.
- Bartra, who would be fifth choice CD, probably has a brighter future than Fontás, who should be loaned out or even sold.
- I wouldn't think twice about Vertonghen. Young, left footed, versatile, tall, strong, good passing of the ball, leader, 3 or 4 man defence no problem, scores on set pieces, cheap, best player in Holland by a country mile ... But if we want him, we should act fast.
- I believe you can play with one Dani Alves on each flank, so bringing in Alba for a low sum is a great deal. Provides pace, stamina and especially lots of depth on the left which we need sometimes. Watch Messi set him up numerous times next season :)
- Van Persie: probably my most controversial transfer, but I sincerely think he's the best option up front. We don't really need Neymar as I think he wouldn't add all that much (he's a world beater though). No, I would rather spend a third of the money needed to buy Neymar on Robin Van Persie: "plan B" (don't like to use that term), great finishing, knows how to make space for himself, quite tall (can help out when dealing with defensive set pieces), can get on the end of any kind of cross (over the ground or in the air), good header of the ball, great technique, team player (unlike Ibra) etc.

Squad for 2012/13:
1. Valdés
2. Dani Alves
3. Piqué
4. Cesc
5. Puyol
6. Xavi
7. Villa
8. Iniesta
9. Alexis
10. Messi
11. Thiago
12. Montoya
13. Pinto
14. Mascherano
15. Vertonghen
16. Busquets
17. Pedro
18. Van Persie
19. Alba
20. Afellay
21. Adriano
(22. Abidal)
23. Cuenca
24. Bartra
25. Tello

Bigger squad than this season's. Montoya, Alba, Bartra and Tello are all canteranos. Vertonghen would adress most of our problems at the back. Van Persie adds a dimension up front. Eric unfortunately can't be counted on atm :'(

Tactics
Little tweaks to our awesome system: very attacking wingbacks on both sides, main outlets when we need width. I want my wingbacks to come from deep, I want my typical Dani Alves run back :)
WBL would also enhance Messi's passing options as he really like to play those through balls (like the one on Abi in el clásico). DMC (Busi) would have to be a little more defensive minded and provide more cover as my left wing back would be more offensive. Front three (well it's actually front two since Messi always plays) should be picked based on form, opponent, .. plenty of different options here: Van Persie (target man like player), Villa (perfect pacey striker), Alexis (brutal acceleration and dribbling), Pedro (high work rate), Cuenca (width and crossing), Tello (direct runs). Hmmm perhaps to many options here. Maybe loan Tello or Cuenca after all :p My front three would be playing narrower in the games we easily dominate so that we would have more men in the box.
In terms of style: adding a bit more verticality (vertical runs or passes) wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I would go as far as saying 65% ball possession is enough. No need for overkill. This would require even more intensive pressing from our players though, but that's where the big squad comes in.

------Alexis----Van Persie------------
-----------------------Messi---------
-------Iniesta----------------------
-----------------------Xavi----------
Alba--------------Busi----------Alves
-------Mascherano-------Pique-------

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
We only need a LB with Villa coming back i dont think there is a need for a striker and also a CB cause of Puyol injury problems. Periera but Alaba would be great and Vertonghen.

Wouterinho

I like most of what you're saying BUT:
- Are you talking about euros? Because 20 M euros won't get you Van Persie imo
- I wouldn't sell Keita. I'd sell him on FIFA 12, but not in real life because he adds so much to the dressing room (he's one of the most important players according to Guardiola)
- Maybe loan Sergi Roberto, so he has a chance to show himself. And if you're not keeping Keita, keep JDS?
- I get why you want to buy RVP, but I wouldn't buy him. He'll cost a lot, he's almost 29 years old and he doesn't speak spanish/catalan.
Not buying an attacker is the best option when you consider the financial situation. If you want to buy somebody, Neymar is the man. He's such a good dribbler, WITH THE RIGHT MENTALITY, he has the potential to be a world-class player. And if you want that extra option, I like Falcao more but I don't think he's the perfect transfer because he's a world-class attacker who wouldn't fit in the first 11, he deserves more and we shouldn't buy substitutes for a lot of money.

Home of Barca Fans