How do you rate M. LAUDRUP between best Barça's players of history?

ejuventus

Hi guys
First I'd like to repeat my compliments to your (actual) team and your club:
you're not only the best team in the world, but also the most important football club in the history of modern football.

It costs me something to admit that, because my JUVE was to challenge for that kind of title, for what we did since 1982 to 2006,
but in Italy it's not possible to build sane and competitive situations ...... so that, someone thought well to invent stories and destroy a fantastic football team.

Anyway, let's go back to the title:
I'm a huge fan of M. LAUDRUP....... that I consider the most underrated player of modern football.
He was worthy of 1 or 2 Balon d'Or, at least..... the best player of his generation.
I rate him higher than Maradona, for istance.....whose career I could follow entirely, and I don't think he's the best ever at all; on the contrary.

After that fabolous team you had in early 90's, you have had many other great players.
So....who better than you can answer my question: how would you place M.Laudrup in a ideal rank of the greatest football players?

According to me, he' just a little bit below people like Crujff, Platini, Zidane, considering also the esthetic side of football.

Thank you ...

.... and always Forza Barça in the Liga ! !

Trickykid

I grew up watching Laudrup and Barcelona, and in my eyes he's up there with the greatest footballers I've watched play on a regular basis.

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
I don't exactly keep a list of the best players to have played for FCB to hand but he'd be very high up. He's one of the best ever.

B

barcelonista

According to me, he' just a little bit below people like Crujff, Platini, Zidane, considering also the esthetic side of football.

Laudrup is nowhere near Platini or Cruyff IMO. Laudrup had no impact whatsoever in his 2 years at Lazio. In his first year he finished 14th (in a 16 team league). In his second he even got relegated with Lazio, finishing at the bottom of the table. Neither did he step up for Juve once Platini (what a player, Maradona level for me, only a WC title separates their legacies) retired.

While his time at Barcelona was better, he was only part of a wonderful "dream team". Never the driving force behind it. I recently watched our 5-0 trashing of Real Madrid in 94 for example. Laudrup was just a substitute who came on when we were leading 4-0 (nowadays, could we trash Real Madrid 5-0 without Messi or Xavi for example? I have my doubts). With the foreigner rule Cruyff rather opted for Stoichkov, Romario and Koeman. He was surely a wonderful player, probably even the most talented in Cruyff's dream team. But I don't think he ever fulfilled his potential. He was like a lazy version of Iniesta who didn't try.

Cruyff and Platini are on a different level for me. Zidane is just overrated.

And now: come at me, LoveLaudrup. :D

Last edited:

Yugi

well, he was massive talent for sure
at his time in Juventus Platini said something like: "the guy is the most phenomenal player I´ve ever seen on training, but he is lazy in matches"
still was good tho

Danish Culé

Laudrup is nowhere near Platini or Cruyff IMO. Laudrup had no impact whatsoever in his 2 years at Lazio. In his first year he finished 14th (in a 16 team league). In his second he even got relegated with Lazio, finishing at the bottom of the table. Neither did he step up for Juve once Platini (what a player, Maradona level for me, only a WC title separates their legacies) retired.

While his time at Barcelona was better, he was only part of a wonderful "dream team". Never the driving force behind it. I recently watched our 5-0 trashing of Real Madrid in 94 for example. Laudrup was just a substitute who came on when we were leading 4-0 (nowadays, could we trash Real Madrid 5-0 without Messi or Xavi for example? I have my doubts). With the foreigner rule Cruyff rather opted for Stoichkov, Romario and Koeman.
I'm not LoveLaudrup, but I'll come at you anyway and defend my countryman :)

First of all, it's completely unfair to criticize Laudrup because Lazio had a couple of terrible years and got relegated while he played there. Lazio was a complete mess back then with horrible coaches and players. You won't expect a 20 year-old new to the Serie A to carry such a team on his back and save them singlehandedly. In fact he did exactly that times, but he was young and inconsistent so there you go.

Some of your points about his time at Barca are just plain wrong if you ask me. He was the driving force for the Dream Team for long spans of time, especially in the 1991 and 1992 season (Liga and Champions/Liga double). It's true that he wasn't playing regularly in the 1994 season, because Cruyff opted for Romario, Stoichkov and Koeman instead, but in his 5 years in Barcelona, Laudrup was a regular starter for 4 seasons and a half, if I remember correctly. That's also why he didn't start against Madrid in the 1994 manita, but before Romario, he would be a sure starter in a Clásico or any other important match.

I know a lot of culés are a bit ambivalent when it comes to Laudrup because of his subsequent treason and stay at Madrid. However, credit should be given where credit is due, and he was hugely important for the Dream Team and he should - for me at least - be considered an all-time great.

If you have to find a weak spot of his, it would be his complete lack of leadership. At Juve, he had 2 rather good years, a year filled with injuries and only one year where he actually failed. When Platini retired, people expected Laudrup to step up, replace him and lead the team to continued glory. He simply could't and that's probably one of the reasons why he will be never be up there with Maradona, Cruyff etc.

Last edited:

ejuventus

While his time at Barcelona was better, he was only part of a wonderful "dream team". Never the driving force behind it. I recently watched our 5-0 trashing of Real Madrid in 94 for example. Laudrup was just a substitute who came on when we were leading 4-0 (nowadays, could we trash Real Madrid 5-0 without Messi or Xavi for example? I have my doubts). With the foreigner rule Cruyff rather opted for Stoichkov, Romario and Koeman. He was surely a wonderful player, probably even the most talented in Cruyff's dream team. But I don't think he ever fulfilled his potential. He was like a lazy version of Iniesta who didn't try.

Cruyff and Platini are on a different level for me. Zidane is just overrated.

And now: come at me, LoveLaudrup. :D

Well ...I've learnt about LoveLaudrup ..... an old user, I guess
I didn't know

Anyway, Danish Culè I think well answered to you.
I think Laudrup was decisive in Cruyjff's Dream Team, maybe the most decisive player

If you remember he was sub in the manita to Real, you must remember as well that he was benched in 0-4 against Ac Milan.
And that, when he moved to Madrid.....it was him to win the title. That means something.

Regarding the treachery, I cannot judge.
Just I think it was different than Figo's one.....just because of the reason I wrote above: he could not be a sub.
But about that, you know more than me for sure

La LL

Generally Delightful
LL has been a complete failure at defending his idol, what a shit fanboy to have

I saw this wild life documentary about fish living off hippo excrement and I thought about you.

Laudrup was style man. He was a gentleman who never received a red card. He was like Iniesta: floating across the pitch and making amazing assists.

I also believe he was the pioneer of the Laudrup pass: Looking one way, passing the other to confuse his opponents.

And sure, he played for Madrid but he has been largely forgiven, even in Barcelona when I talk to people about him it's all positive. Those two seasons he spent at Madrid will never overshadow his time in the dream team.

I came at all of you bitches.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans