Xabi Alonso

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Sky reports that Xabi will retire by the end of the season
I get the feeling that he's over-rated, a bit by the stupid English media..... Especially during his Liverpool days, but boy did he have an illustrious career!

Yannik

I get the feeling that he's over-rated, a bit by the stupid English media..... Especially during his Liverpool days, but boy did he have an illustrious career!

he had his best days in England, they will remember him mostly for this.
He was however great for Madrid, and even with his 35 he's a definite Bayern starter and one of the best passers in recent time.

El Flaco

Official: Xabi Alonso retire at the end of this season.

[tw]839777479426510848[/tw]

A great of the game says goodbye! On Thursday Xabi Alonso announced he will call time on his career at the end of this season. “It wasn’t an easy decision to make, but I believe it’s the right time. I always thought it would be better to quit sooner rather than later. I still feel good, but I believe this is the right moment,” the Spaniard told FC Bayern.tv live. “I wanted to end my career still at the highest level, and Bayern is the highest level. I’m incredibly proud and happy to play for FC Bayern and to be a part of this family.”

The 35-year-old joined the German record champions in 2014. In his time with the club, the midfield maestro’s qualities have contributed to two further Bundesliga titles and a DFB Cup triumph. Alonso has won more league titles at FCB than at any previous club.

“FC Bayern would like to thank a great player and person for representing FC Bayern to such a high standard both on and off the pitch. Xabi Alonso is one of the greats of world football. He has won everything there is to win during his career. He’s a thoroughly remarkable person, and a gentleman of the game,” Karl-Heinz Rummenigge commented.

Alonso’s honours collection is close to unmatched, as he was a Champions League winner in 2005 and 2014, La Liga champion in 2012, European champion in 2008 and 2012 and a World Cup winner in 2010 with Spain. “I’ve experienced so much as a player with Real Sociedad, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. They are all great clubs. And of course, with the Spanish national team. I never would’ve thought I’d have such a great career, and I hope there’s more to come before it ends,” the player said.

https://fcbayern.com/en/news/2017/03/alonso-announces-retirement

dostoevskij

good player, but with madrid he was also a big scumbag in every mourinho clasico. from deliberately fouling xavi on his weak achilles injured spot, to constantly harassing messi, to allegedly spiting on iniesta, it was all there and will be remembered!

khaled_a_d

If Xabi Alonso was in Barca of 2008/09 ... ohhh what a sweet dream ;)
He is one of the best holding midfielders of all time!

May be in his generation,but won't go as far as saying he is an all time gr8 tbh
Great player nevertheless,Dirty too against us and always felt he hated us with passion despite his dad being former Barca player

Last edited:

Morten

So, he has retired now. Great career and a great passer of the ball. Will be missed. Enjoy your retirement, Obi.
;)

Home of Barca Fans