Xabi Alonso

Trickykid

I'm leaning towards Alonso he always does this sort of thing but no one calls him out for it and everyone makes him out to be a saint or something

Yeah, same here. I feel Alonso is always deliberate in his actions. He's calculated and a horrible cynic. Pepe, as horrendously despicable he is, is dumb as shit, and like a rabid dog, can't help his bursts of insanity.

But really, it's probably a toss-up. Both are scum, absolute scum.

dostoevskij

alonso is over. at least in big games.( you could say it in last year against dortmund as well + his injury and age) if he cant use his cunt tactics and get away with it anymore, he can go to sociedad.
i was almost feeling sorry for him getting owned like a schoolboy by xavi, iniesta, messi et al on sunday, but then i remembered its alonso ;)

barcanuck

alonso is over. at least in big games.( you could say it in last year against dortmund as well + his injury and age) if he cant use his cunt tactics and get away with it anymore, he can go to sociedad.
i was almost feeling sorry for him getting owned like a schoolboy by xavi, iniesta, messi et al on sunday, but then i remembered its alonso ;)

His foul on Iniesta was hilarious and amusing. He was used to getting away with a dozen of those a game usually and they all caught up and cost them the classico in one swift kick to the teeth.

He's got one more year in him but at a reduced rate.

khorne

hmm to me at least there's nothing malicious about alonso's play. He's a premier league veteran and a basque in the bargain, so it's obvious he plays more physical, and he is pretty slow which explains why more often than not he clumsily hits a player. The foul on iniesta was just that, a badly timed challenge. that he tries to tackle iniesta of all people in his own box is a pretty stupid decision, but not malice.
I think he's a great player and i enjoyed watching him both for liverpool and spain, and i respect him when he plays for real. But hey, different opinions and so forth, no?

Trickykid

hmm to me at least there's nothing malicious about alonso's play. He's a premier league veteran and a basque in the bargain, so it's obvious he plays more physical, and he is pretty slow which explains why more often than not he clumsily hits a player. The foul on iniesta was just that, a badly timed challenge. that he tries to tackle iniesta of all people in his own box is a pretty stupid decision, but not malice.
I think he's a great player and i enjoyed watching him both for liverpool and spain, and i respect him when he plays for real. But hey, different opinions and so forth, no?

Nothing malicious?! Are serious? You must've missed just about every clasico we played against Moudrid. In my eyes, he's been the very definition of malicious, and I'm sure Xavi's ankles would agree.

XaviMessiGirl

Funny thing is when he was at Liverpool he was one of my favorite players - will never forget that equalizer in Istanbul. But at Madrid he's so damn unlikeable that I almost feel like he's a completely different player with the same name.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Nothing malicious?! Are serious? You must've missed just about every clasico we played against Moudrid. In my eyes, he's been the very definition of malicious, and I'm sure Xavi's ankles would agree.

You didn't read him well. He's a fan. He enjoys watching him!

khorne

Funny thing is when he was at Liverpool he was one of my favorite players - will never forget that equalizer in Istanbul. But at Madrid he's so damn unlikeable that I almost feel like he's a completely different player with the same name.

I'd say the last 3 - 4 years have made it generally difficult to like players from real madrid from our point of view, but i rather blame one certain Jose Mourinho for all the gamesmanship and rough play than the players themselves. especially since i've seen most of them before madrid, or rather mourinho, and also inbetween playing for spain or their respective national teams, where none of them played in the same underhanded way.

In the end though, everyone has his own impression, mine is that xabi alonso may be too slow and clumsy sometimes to pull of his physical playstyle, but he's not calculating or deliberate with hurting other players. But of course if you want to dislike him, far be it from me to deny a fellow cule. hate away! ;)

@trickykid: no offense, but unless xavi comes out and gives an official interview where he says: "xabi alonso specifically hacked at my tendrons in order to injure me, also he's a cunt and literally the devil" I'll file this story under rumor bullshit of the mourinho era. I'm not denying the heated atmosphere between barca and real at the times, but at least the spanish players overcame that with the euro 2012, and they seem to be on rather cordial terms right now.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I'd say the last 3 - 4 years have made it generally difficult to like players from real madrid from our point of view, but i rather blame one certain Jose Mourinho for all the gamesmanship and rough play than the players themselves. especially since i've seen most of them before madrid, or rather mourinho, and also inbetween playing for spain or their respective national teams, where none of them played in the same underhanded way.

In the end though, everyone has his own impression, mine is that xabi alonso may be too slow and clumsy sometimes to pull of his physical playstyle, but he's not calculating or deliberate with hurting other players. But of course if you want to dislike him, far be it from me to deny a fellow cule. hate away! ;)

@trickykid: no offense, but unless xavi comes out and gives an official interview where he says: "xabi alonso specifically hacked at my tendrons in order to injure me, also he's a cunt and literally the devil" I'll file this story under rumor bullshit of the mourinho era. I'm not denying the heated atmosphere between barca and real at the times, but at least the spanish players overcame that with the euro 2012, and they seem to be on rather cordial terms right now.

I think this was Madridistas, mostly me, criticism of Mourinho (and Khedira). No one liked how he absorbed all the fun out of Xabi's game and most importantly, no one thought Xabi was actually an incredible DM. Which is what made Khedira, in my opinion, one of the worst companions Xabi ever could have. The problem is that Xabi isn't mobile, so who'd you place next to him? You simply couldn't ask Xabi to be the one running around in CM either.

Paganinisrvnge

I don't see why he wouldn't. Unless Del Bosque decides to give younger players a chance. Maybe a double pivot of Busquets Martinez, Xavi and Xabi Alonso as subs.

barcanuck

Midfield is overflowing : Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Xabi, Cesc, Thiago, Isco, Javi Martinez. Field all mids on D and O.

Home of Barca Fans