Defender for next season?

Theconomist

So beyond a shadow of doubt now we need a defender for next season.
Puyol is almost 35 and la liga isn't serie a, even tho I'd like him to play until his 40s I really don't think he should be starting the 50 odd games we play a season.
Pique is on form the best defender on the planet however off form absolutely rubish and the problem is it's been a rollercoaster ride all year,we need to have an adaptable solution for when he isn't on form.
Mascherano is a very solid centre back,arguably our best defender these past 2 seasons, definitely our most consistent BUT he is not a CB and IT SHOWS. I still think it would be much more ideal for him to provide cover for both busquests and a cb position.
Abidal has hardly played as a CB this season and although he's playing really well he is 32 and much more effective on the left.

I won't even bother with Fontas and Bartra those 2 are segunda level.

So yeah,that's pretty much it. In a club of Barcelona's stature we have 2 real centre backs, 1 converted defensive midfielder and 1 left back.
I know pep doesn't like large squads and we're playing 3-4-3 much more these days BUT we still need a defender, it's THE signing we've been waiting for.

The players we've been linked with in the past:

1- Thiago Silva - The good:can speak spanish,knows alves and adriano,one of the best in the world currently available. The bad: will cost at least 30 millon,not young.
2- Mat Hummels - The good:he's great against fast players,young,huge potential,would only cost around 20 million. The bad: inexperienced on the european stage,commits errors fairly often,can't speak english
3- Jan Vertonghen The good: cheap,solid,reliable. The bad: not a flashy signing,doesn't necessarly want to transfer,can't speak spanish

Please provide your reason.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Abidal - Pique* - Puyol* - Dani Alves

* Mascherano to alternate.

This is assuming Piqué regains his form (AKA dumps Shakira). So in essence, our best deal would be selling Shakira to Real Madrid. I'm sure Floro wouldn't mind paying a handsome sum for her.

Theconomist

people need to stop with this pique/shakira thing, the only reason people are saying it's affecting him is because it's the first footballer's girlfriend since victoria that we know.

Yugi

promoted: Bartra and Muniesa and Montoya
probably sold: Fontas
we have: Alves, Puyol, Pique, Mascherano, Abidal, Adriano

Abidal could easily play as CB for the whole season so we only have to buy LB.... and that should be Jordi Alba imho
but I would kill for Hummels not gonna lie :wub:

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I'd rather see Hummels than Silva because he'd be much cheaper, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't speak Spanish.

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
This should be the starting XI next year:

Valdes

Alves - T.Silva - Mascherano - Abidal

Busquets - Xavi

Messi - Rafinha - Iniesta

MaxiLopez​

Barca_070

Vertonghen makes to much faults with space in his back, but he is young. But his passing is great, his long ball is similar with that of Pique.

B

barcelonista

Since Pep's reign we've made the world believe Pique would be a world class centre back. We shouldn't miss out on this chance and sell him to those fools who would still pay € 25 million+ for him.

1. Sell Pique for € 25 million
2. Buy Hummels for € 20 million
3. Make profit of € 5 million
3. Add another € 25 million to those € 5 million and buy also Thiago Silva
4. Getting Hummels + Silva for effectively € 25 million cash = win
5. Profit

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans