The Coaches Corner III: Teams Without Destinations

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Well, Van Gaal is a 1 season coach. He transformed Bayern into an amazing team in 1 season, but made them explode the season after <_<
I wouldnt say so. Van Gaals main problem is his stubborness. He just wasnt up for compromises, when the management didnt buy the players he wanted but instead bought those he didnt need from his pov. Making young Kraft his goalie No.1 when the Neuer deal was pretty much sealed was very symptomatic for this.

It also felt a bit like he didnt want to stray away too much from his basic game plan, even when it seemed that alterations were necessary. Bayern turned out very vulnerable through the center with two playmakers (Schweinsteiger and Kroos) forming the double pivot. He still refrained from replacing one of the two with a defensive minded player like Gustavo (inhabitating the position under Heynckes now).

But what distinguished him from basically every other Bayern coach since the 70ies perhaps is a clear idea and a thought-out system, that he implemented as thoroughly as possible. He was just restricted doing so, i.e. improving his team by the Bayern management. Sour grapes on both sides actually caused the explosion, showing that a coach like Van Gaal just generally doesnt fit to Bayern under the current management imo.

jayzsa

the amazing thing is ,the current bayern side are still benefiting from his concept , if it wasn't for van gaal. they would never play like they do today. I think sooner or later even the bayern bosses will have to realize that in todays football landscape it's getting more an more difficult, nearly impossible to be successfully just by having the economical advantage, buying the best players, without a coach with a clear tactical concept who is allowed to implement it over a longer period of time.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I wouldnt say so. Van Gaals main problem is his stubborness. He just wasnt up for compromises, when the management didnt buy the players he wanted but instead bought those he didnt need from his pov. Making young Kraft his goalie No.1 when the Neuer deal was pretty much sealed was very symptomatic for this.

It also felt a bit like he didnt want to stray away too much from his basic game plan, even when it seemed that alterations were necessary. Bayern turned out very vulnerable through the center with two playmakers (Schweinsteiger and Kroos) forming the double pivot. He still refrained from replacing one of the two with a defensive minded player like Gustavo (inhabitating the position under Heynckes now).

But what distinguished him from basically every other Bayern coach since the 70ies perhaps is a clear idea and a thought-out system, that he implemented as thoroughly as possible. He was just restricted doing so, i.e. improving his team by the Bayern management. Sour grapes on both sides actually caused the explosion, showing that a coach like Van Gaal just generally doesnt fit to Bayern under the current management imo.

I recently told my friend that Barcelona met their anti-thesis in the CL while Real Madrid met their shadow from Germany. He said that Bayern are the Barcelona of BundesLiga while I disagree, I told him that Bayern are a lot closer to Real Madrid than Barcelona. I am not an expert on Bayern but what would you say?

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire

I recently told my friend that Barcelona met their anti-thesis in the CL while Real Madrid met their shadow from Germany. He said that Bayern are the Barcelona of BundesLiga while I disagree, I told him that Bayern are a lot closer to Real Madrid than Barcelona. I am not an expert on Bayern but what would you say?

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I see a lot of parallel between Madrid and Bayern actually. Mourinho's Madrid is very German in style, and I'm not the first person to make that observation.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
You pray to the god in gratitude that I did not hit your face with a long post as I am trying to finish my letter of intent. Perhaps the shittiest piece of writing I ever have to do but formalities of universities.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
I agree with you. Bayerns management philosophy is very similar to that of RM. Its a clear players > team approach. The thing Bayern has in common with Barca is van Gaals influence on tactics, that however is diminishing already.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I was about to right a long post about Barcelona's system and how it is dynamic, disregarding your form and your Messi dependancy but I will propose one thing just for the sake of football discussion here, nothing else. I may have missed it, or not but why don't Barcelona play with 3-5-2?

Your problem is not having forwards, so why push for it? The formation with Messi being a false 9 depends on wingers, and their tracking back from the front. Considering your players are tired in midfield, you are forwards aren't firing any better, Messidepencia is more apparent than ever so why not play to the best abilities of your team at its current state?

Xavi and Iniesta are tired, one loves dominating possession and the latter hates being on the wing, while your best player is sick and tired of dropping deep. Your fomration is entirely undone with indivisual mistakes, as per Puyol and Valdes's fuck ups so why keep that extra man very far from them?

Puyol must be fixated because he is old and slower, the man has passion and leadership which is what you need on the pitch but do not over stress him. Taking away an ineffective forward will balance the defense and offense, one it allows Messi to stay further up the pitch, because either Iniesta or Xavi love to move up especially Xavi who loves his new attacking role from which he scored his highest ever tally. two, it helps in covering mistakes in midfielder or defense, because the three are well positioned, as for Alves and Cesc they can provide necessary cover in midfield while Busi drops deep to form a 4 fixated defense line, reducing gaps or running distance. It also allows Busi to man mark Drogba into the irrelevancy zone, as opposed to having to worry about an ample amount of space.

When Messi and Alexis are focused on scoring goals, as opposed to tracking back, defending and creating all the same time, the finishing will come with it. Don't you think? Especially that Cesc is a shit horizontal player, so no need for him there in the middle, but he is a sneaky bastard who can score sneaky goals. In fact you can even take him out of the equation entirely and throw in adriano who has been awesome.

So yes, you might need a little more shape and directness to your game, as in play the ball to Messi as far as possible from the half way line into the opponent box. Let him run his magic there, not some 40 yards away from the box.
Hope you get destroyed by Drogba and Lampard though. :)

Home of Barca Fans