1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Yannik

You can tell that he finally got confidence. Nothing beats a confident keeper.
But it's still vital that he gets the clean sheet, he's bot 100% there yet but it's getting there.

I just wish Barca would cut this "ballplaying goalkeeper/defender" crap. Not entirely, but just for the moment. Ter Stegens distribution is fine, but I wish he'd just blast it upfront rather than pass it to the defenders. I've not seen a single team that puts such an emphasis on "playing from the back", yet executes it so terribly. How often did the defenders loose possession in the past days? Either fix this, or scrap it and hope for your midfielders winning the headers. I feel like not even Ter Stegen trusts his defense anymore. I've seen Roberto and Umtiti pass the ball around like a hot potato, noone was trying to open play, everyone was just worried that they could loose it. And that happened.

xXKonan

Not sure if it's due to instructions or the fact our CB's are afraid of playing out the back under pressure but it's been a common theme this year. the Bilbao game we won 1-0 at the start of the season Umtiti and Pique kept passing the ball back to Stegen to boot it to break the pressure.

I'm all for utilizing Stegen's talent with the ball at his feet but not the way we are doing it. It comes off as being scared and lazy like Umtiti gets pressed? Nah fuck it lets pass back to Stegen so he can deal with this mess.

Umtiti isn't going to learn how to deal with high pressure situations with the ball and playing it out the back properly if we keep resorting to using Stegen as a creative/get of danger outlet.

El Flaco

Ter Stegen's conceded goal from Leganes player Unai Lopez

[gfy]PaleClutteredBull[/gfy]

[gfy]ShowyDapperAustralianfurseal[/gfy]

[gfy]UnrealisticScaryArabianwildcat[/gfy]

Ter Stegen's saves

[gfy]HonestFrightenedDouglasfirbarkbeetle[/gfy]

[gfy]WellwornAfraidFirecrest[/gfy]

[gfy]OddCircularBuck[/gfy]

[gfy]SerpentineSevereGazelle[/gfy]

[gfy]GleamingLegalFieldmouse[/gfy]

[gfy]BriskPalatableFairybluebird[/gfy]

[gfy]IdolizedElasticAfricancivet[/gfy]

[gfy]FoolishLoathsomeKitty[/gfy]

[gfy]ComposedGrizzledEmperorpenguin[/gfy]

God Serena

How can someone seriously call that luck?

Like, he's actively diving and sticking a leg out to the exact spot where the ball is going. What luck is there?

Potroh

You should just give up. What a trash post. He's "Lucky" every fucking week to you people.

I can easily give up Your Almighty, but it will not mean you understand more about this game. The "trash" is the anger on your behalf and lack of objective thinking in this case.
You are looking at the mere result of the goalkeeper's decisive saves yesterday, but yes, SOME of his great saves were LUCKY - as I've stated, as some great saves always depend on pure luck. To see that all you need is the eye of a coach, or an unbiased player, even an unbiased spectator.

When a GK throws his body in the way of an incoming player or shot, his intention is to cover the maximum angle. The larger his body is, the more chances he has. When the shot finally finds his toe, tip of finger, ear or any bodily part for that matter, he plays a kind of "russian roulette" which sometimes works, sometime it does not.
When the otherwise conscious move stops the ball, it's a great and expected result but it is considered by ALL pro footballers something that NEEDS LUCK, besides the skills (which lead to him throwing his body in the trajectory of the ball) and intentions.

BTW, he is NOT "just lucky every week" (minus the unnecessary and emotional f....ing word) because he is a very good goalkeeper, but sometimes he IS LUCKY, as all GKs are and need a bit of LUCK to be effective.
He had a fortunately very good game yesterday (apart from the goal conceded), but all GKs need a drop of luck.
He will become not only a very good but a great GK when he is also able to save much easier balls as well.

Galning

Same can be said for every player on the field, ever. Of course some things they pull off involve luck.

Great game by Ter Stegen, yet again.

God Serena

When a GK throws his body in the way of an incoming player or shot, his intention is to cover the maximum angle. The larger his body is, the more chances he has. When the shot finally finds his toe, tip of finger, ear or any bodily part for that matter, he plays a kind of "russian roulette" which sometimes works, sometime it does not.
When the otherwise conscious move stops the ball, it's a great and expected result but it is considered by ALL pro footballers something that NEEDS LUCK, besides the skills (which lead to him throwing his body in the trajectory of the ball) and intentions.

So what you're saying is any save a keeper makes is luck? Reflexes, reactions, agility, predictions... none of that matters, our keeper is *lucky* to make saves. I guess that means the best keepers in the world are really just those who manage to keep this luck running for the longest time possible.

Potroh

So what you're saying is any save a keeper makes is luck?

Did I say that? I don't think so...
I mentioned the situation when the GK tries throws his entire body (most often with arm and legs wide open) to cover the largest possible space with his body in order to save.
This is a very common situation and it is the one that MATS seems to be very good at.
Nevertheless, this type of save - if successful - is not a "classic" type of save.

The two original types differ, because when the GK "classically" follows the ball and tries to save, it is a conscious process until he is able to touch the ball (usually with hands), whereas the other type is when he uses his entire body to cover, but in the latter case the conscious movement ends at the throw (which is NOT the same as a jump) and from that very millisecond he can't do anything more but just hope that the attacker finds his body with the incoming ball.

Goalkeepers usually call the former type as a "clear save" and the latter as "dirty save". They often joke about the "dirty save" as being brought from American football, because chances are better if one has a huge body...
MATS is really good throwing himself in, but he is much weaker in "classical" saves (just as the conceded goal shows at the past game).

Last edited:

God Serena

Did I say that? I don't think so...
I mentioned the situation when the GK tries throws his entire body (most often with arm and legs wide open) to cover the largest possible space with his body in order to save.
This is a very common situation and it is the one that MATS seems to be very good at.
Nevertheless, this type of save - if successful - is not a "classic" type of save.

The two original types differ, because when the GK "classically" follows the ball and tries to save, it is a conscious process until he is able to touch the ball (usually with hands), whereas the other type is when he uses his entire body to cover, but in the latter case the conscious movement ends at the throw (which is NOT the same as a jump) and from that very millisecond he can't do anything more but just hope that the attacker finds his body with the incoming ball.

Goalkeepers usually call the former type as a "clear save" and the latter as "dirty save". They often joke about the "dirty save" as being brought from American football, because chances are better if one has a huge body...
MATS is really good throwing himself in, but he is much weaker in "classical" saves (just as the conceded goal shows at the past game).

Only one save out of the four major ones even comes anywhere close to the type of save you are actually describing, and that was a close range shot that didn't involve him throwing his body in any way because he closed the angle down. Every other one has him throwing an arm or a leg out to the exact spot where the ball is going. He's not covering the "largest possible space with his body", he's getting his hand or his leg to the ball in moments that demand an instant reaction. Go back and look at the saves again. Are you really trying to argue that these saves are lucky or do you just want to remain stuck on your dislike of the player?

Home of Barca Fans