1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Barcilliant

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...vg_distribution_length/punches/total_score#90

This for all of you lazy ter Stegen haters, the guy is young and will improve every single year. Do not forget that most goalkeepers start being great at around 28 years old. Stegen has immense potential and as the numbers show he is having a great season. Sure he has made dumb mistakes in the past, but that is part of the learning process for a keeper his age who is asked to do so much for the team in and out of possession. He can improve in positioning and aggression off the line.

He will get better (NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT), have some prospective before bashing the young keeper. For example look at how Bayern fans and media treated the GOAT Manuel Nueur when he just arrived in his young days, almost the way some lazy barca fans and media alike treat ter Stegen.

So what a 24 year goalkeeper has a lot of room for improvement isn't that what we want. Marc is doing a fine job with his goalkeeping and passing, you should enjoy him and support him, not bash him.

I created a simple comparison on squawka to show how favorably ter Stegen compares to other top keepers this season. For all of you David De Gea lovers guess what Marc has better numbers than him. More saves per 90, less goals conceded, better distribution, better saves per goal etc.. if David is better he isn't that much better and I highly doubt he would be able to stand the criticism Stegen takes from you guys every single day.

Moral of the post, for the year of our lord 2017 stop being lazy fans, do your research before you bash a player especially a young star goalkeeper like ter Stegen.

OH, by the way on whoscored our guy MAtS has a better per match rating than Dave at 6.63 compared to 6.50. ALSO perennial goalkeeper of the year winner and unquestioned GOAT Manuel Nueur is only at 6.68.

RESPECT THE MAN
:mats:

Stats lie in this case - blatantly!

Neeraj

That somebody is able to use stats to 'prove' that De Gea isn't much better than Mr. Freeze, is itself a testament to how useless tats can be to evaluate..anything.

khaled_a_d

This for all of you lazy ter Stegen haters, the guy is young and will improve every single year. Do not forget that most goalkeepers start being great at around 28 years old.

If you made a vote for top 5 GKs right now I think you will get Oblak,Courtois &De Gea in it most probably (along with Buffon & Neuer) and those 3 are same age as MATS (2 younger and 3rd less than 18 months older)
Buffon was the world most expensive GK in history at the age of 23,was considered gr8 even couple of years before. Neuer was considered gr8 at the age of 24 and became 2nd most expensive GK in history at the age of 25
Casillas was considered gr8 and may be even a legend in RM by 24-25. Cech was a top notch GK by the age of 24 too.
I am sorry but this statement isn't true,most of the top GK in recent history has shown greatness since early twenties with some exceptions of late bloomers like Bravo & Van Der Sar (though he isn't by any mean of those generations)

serghei

I think after almost 3 years at the club, we should be seeing more from Ter Stegen. Is he even better than he was when he came? Honestly, it doesn't look like it.

Neymessi

He was a beast at monchengladbach. I think he will slowly return to his best. Even that gladbach ter stegen was much better than this one.

khaled_a_d

I think after almost 3 years at the club, we should be seeing more from Ter Stegen. Is he even better than he was when he came? Honestly, it doesn't look like it.

That is the aspect I don't like about him,I remember when we signed him all the reports spoke about 4 gr8 things about him
1-Gr8 distribution
2-Gr8 shot stopper
3-Best in BL in crosses
4-Gr8 leader and character.
We have initially seen 1st 2 but the 2nd two were non-existent and it seem that lack of confidence and strong character has even affected his shot stopping ability with all this freezing.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I think it's funny when people say he can only get better because of his age, when in reality he only has been getting worse... Being young doesn't automatically mean he can improve, most of the time young promises end up being average players...

El Barcelona

If you made a vote for top 5 GKs right now I think you will get Oblak,Courtois &De Gea in it most probably (along with Buffon & Neuer) and those 3 are same age as MATS (2 younger and 3rd less than 18 months older)
Buffon was the world most expensive GK in history at the age of 23,was considered gr8 even couple of years before. Neuer was considered gr8 at the age of 24 and became 2nd most expensive GK in history at the age of 25
Casillas was considered gr8 and may be even a legend in RM by 24-25. Cech was a top notch GK by the age of 24 too.
I am sorry but this statement isn't true,most of the top GK in recent history has shown greatness since early twenties with some exceptions of late bloomers like Bravo & Van Der Sar (though he isn't by any mean of those generations)

This.
Look at Donnarumma, the guy is 17. Okay it's Italy but the guy is just a schoolkid.. I hope Stegen got his shit together and start playing how a keeper at barca should be otherwise..

Jallo

If you made a vote for top 5 GKs right now I think you will get Oblak,Courtois &De Gea in it most probably (along with Buffon & Neuer)

MAtS is not better than Oblak and Courtois, Please. These two GKs are protected by 2 lines of defense most of the time and they are not required or asked to do anthing else other than kick the ball long. MAtS is far better than them in almost every way. The biggest different is that MAtS is more exposed at any given time becuase of how we play, I dont even think you would ever build a barca team with limited GKs like Oblak and Courtois. Surely you have to know that Oblak and Courtois play on the most defensive teams in world. Do you really thing we would be better off with either Oblak or Courtois?

Top GKs right now in order
1.) Neuer
2.) Buffon
3.) Lloris

After this there is date and you can include MAtS in there becuase of his rare skillset.

Jallo

Stats lie in this case - blatantly!

If one player is considered to be better, but yet he concedes more goals for every save he makes. How would you explain that? Maybe you would save he makes more saves, right. That is why I looked at the saves per 90 minutes and MAtS comes out on top. I was surprised too! I guess Dave just makes the flashy save that helps people forget the other stuff. Don't get me wrong, Dave is a Top GK. I just wanted to give some perpective on MAtS, who I feel receives alot of baseless attacks from you guys.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
MAtS is not better than Oblak and Courtois, Please. These two GKs are protected by 2 lines of defense most of the time and they are not required or asked to do anthing else other than kick the ball long. MAtS is far better than them in almost every way. The biggest different is that MAtS is more exposed at any given time becuase of how we play, I dont even think you would ever build a barca team with limited GKs like Oblak and Courtois. Surely you have to know that Oblak and Courtois play on the most defensive teams in world. Do you really thing we would be better off with either Oblak or Courtois?

Top GKs right now in order
1.) Neuer
2.) Buffon
3.) Lloris

After this there is date and you can include MAtS in there becuase of his rare skillset.

We would be better off with half gks from La Liga mate.

Blunders aside, ter Stegen is a timid gk with chronic lack of quality in taking care of long balls/crosses.
Freezing is just a latest thing. He used to be more alert so he can fix that but he's still not looking like a keeper we need.

And btw. Not sure if you said that but claiming a player becomes better with each year is naive.

Home of Barca Fans