1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

mark1nhu

24 years old is not young. I don't know why people here give him so many free passes and jump on anyone that criticises him, we are not fans of a player like you guys we are fans of FC Barcelona.

How many years do you want to give this guy? How many blunders are acceptable?

24 yo IS young for a GK.

And no one is giving him a pass. Even his supporters are saying he fucked up badly and should learn ASAP from this horrible mistake.

Why can't we have a single thread in this forum without straw man fallacy?

Jesus Christ.

Mandrake

They'd better be ironed out by january-february, or else I'm all for Cilessen being no1 and getting his shot. Stegen is at Barca for over 2 years. Not 2 months. At Arsenal you get 5-6 years to develop as a player. At Barca you have to do it faster, or you're out.

24 years old is not young. I don't know why people here give him so many free passes and jump on anyone that criticises him, we are not fans of a player like you guys we are fans of FC Barcelona.

How many years do you want to give this guy? How many blunders are acceptable?

I'm sure MATS will have his mistakes ironed out by the time he has Bravos age :lol::lol:

ini4ever

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]
We won CL with him, so if he were shit at first (making much blunders bla bla ) , we wouldn't have won it by him because he possibly would've made at least one crucial mistake out of 13 CL matches that season.

so don't need to throw stats here and don't play with if's, hopefully he'll learn these moments and getting better than before.

Mandrake

24 is pretty young for a gk. He's not getting any free pass either. It was a huge mistake, and he's beating himself up a lot for it. He'll surely hear a lot from unzue as well. But it's the way our gks play. Valdés occasionally also had those, like the one vs di Maria. High risk, high reward.

Yeah, they say GKs can play until they're pretty old. That they mature after other players. If only we had had a reliable keeper, who at 33 could have carried on playing for awhile..

Mandrake

24 yo IS young for a GK.

And no one is giving him a pass. Even his supporters are saying he fucked up badly and should learn ASAP from this horrible mistake.

Why can't we have a single thread in this forum without straw man fallacy?

Jesus Christ.

Love the 24 YO is young for a goal keeper defense, after the same Bravo haters claimed he was too old :lol:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
To put it into perspective I am a fan of Neymar, but even i have become impatient with him. He has played many great games for Barca and shown potential but he has stagnated recently and isn't taking his game to the next level. By the time you are 24 you should be becoming more mature as a player.

The same applies to ter Stegen...

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Oh see
[MENTION=18533]Mandrake[/MENTION] stepped out of his hole again

Thought he disappeared and became a City fan when Bravo left lol

BBZ8800

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]
We won CL with him, so if he were shit at first (making much blunders bla bla ) , we wouldn't have won it by him because he possibly would've made at least one crucial mistake out of 13 CL matches that season.

so don't need to throw stats here and don't play with if's, hopefully he'll learn these moments and getting better than before.

He played 7 knockout matches when the pressure is on, not 13.
Maybe the sample was too small, and he didn't have time to show "what he can", like he is doing now, when he plays regularly (on larger samples).

Anyway, Celta's GK thinks the same as some of us:
"He is a goalkeeper that likes to play with his feet and always assumes risks," Alvarez told Cadena Ser. "You need to differentiate when you can play with your feet and when you have to kick it up in the air."

http://www.espnfc.com/barcelona/story/2964924/barcelonas-marc-andre-ter-stegen-should-take-fewer-risks-sergio-alvarez

"However, former British footballer and current commentator for Movistar Michael Robinson still came down hard on the German international.

“Ter Stegen believes he’s Garrincha,” Robinson blasted after the stopper gave away the fourth goal in the 4-3 defeat.

“Who does he think he is with the ball at his feet? He’s not half as good as he thinks he is. It’s a serious problem.”

http://www.sport-english.com/en/news/barca/ter-stegen-thinks-hes-garrincha-hes-not-half-good-thinks-5446264

serghei

He played 7 knockout matches when the pressure is on, not 13.
Maybe the sample was too small, and he didn't have time to show "what he can", like he is doing now, when he plays regularly (on larger samples).

We were playing much better than everybody else in that Champions League. It's not like Stegen saved us or anything. He saved a couple of good shots in the first half vs Bayern and that was pretty much it. The rest of the team got the job done by virtually dominating every opponent we've met to the point of deciding every tie (City, PSG and Bayern) after one game.

Last edited:

Devils

Alvarez is 100% right.

Too many unnecessary risks. Risks are only useful when they benefit the team. Neuer runs out to midfield to clear balls that prevent a 1 vs 1 situation. Sure sometimes he get's caught off and gets lobbed sometimes in the process, but it's understandable to see why he takes those risks.

MAtS dribbling opponents inside the box, or dribbling opponents to the corner flag or making blind passes is just taking risks for the sake of showboating. They don't benefit the team in anyway.

I'm not going to call for his head or campaign to have him replaced. But yesterday was so unnecessary and so uncalled for. He's getting grilled by the media today and rightfully so.

I still cannot believe what I saw yesterday. Outrageous.

serghei

It's not about asking for his head. It's about giving the other guy a chance also. Cilessen deserves to have his chance when the other guy is making errors of that magnitude. He is not wearing a sign on his back that says "Stegen's back-up no matter what". People saying he's worse? Okay, let's play him and see if he is worse (I frankly can't see how he can be worse than Stegen vs Celta). And if he is not worse and he does well, keep him until he gives you reasons to bench him and start Stegen again. Stegen has a problem with that? He can go for all I care.

Stop this bullshit about "future Barca keeper", "future world class keeper" and play players based on a system of meritocracy. Based on what they do on the field. Let's say Lucho should give him confidence after a moment like this, to encourage him and so on and so forth. It happens again though, and he needs to be benched.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Alvarez is 100% right.

Too many unnecessary risks. Risks are only useful when they benefit the team. Neuer runs out to midfield to clear balls that prevent a 1 vs 1 situation. Sure sometimes he get's caught off and gets lobbed sometimes in the process, but it's understandable to see why he takes those risks.

MAtS dribbling opponents inside the box, or dribbling opponents to the corner flag or making blind passes is just taking risks for the sake of showboating. They don't benefit the team in anyway.

I'm not going to call for his head or campaign to have him replaced. But yesterday was so unnecessary and so uncalled for. He's getting grilled by the media today and rightfully so.

I still cannot believe what I saw yesterday. Outrageous.

I hate to sound like a broken record but again it wasn't just about trying to pass it to a teammate.
Yesterday he didn't have to "kick it up in the air" he had teammates in perfect position but he went for the flashy choice.
He just need to understand that he need to play the ball for the sake of the team,he doesn't need to be a play maker but just to be able to deliver the ball to a teammate.

serghei

Yesterday he didn't have to "kick it up in the air" he had teammates in perfect position but he went for the flashy choice.

The question is not what did he do, because it was pretty clear, but why did he do it? 3 possible answers imo:

1. Waited too long, got scared, and passed the ball randomly in panic without thinking;
2. Tried to look cool pulling off a tough pass to show the world how great of a passer he is;
3. He has a limited game intelligence;

Option 1 is the nice one for Stegen as it means it was a random thing, and option 2 is the worst because it puts a question mark on his character as well as his ability to improve. Arrogance is the first obstacle in the way of player development every time.

If he continues to be arrogant and act with arrogance and nonchalance with the ball at his feet he won't evolve.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans