1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

El Gato

Villarato!
if cules see Valdes who cost us many easy liga titles as a legend then stegen has a very low bar to pass.

Sweeping statement alert.

I don't really understand the hate Valdes gets off you lot. He's more of a success story than anything else you're accusing him of. He went from being a walking brain fart in his early days to a very solid keeper who was in conversation for a top European keeper for several years. You don't win 4 Zamoras on the back of the lines ahead of you only. In 10/11 he conceded 16 league goals. That's 2 better than Oblak's best season at Atletico.

No doubt it's calling him a legend is a bit much, but you guys above me going for these lack of respect BS edgelord posts need to get a grip.

Givenchy

Sweeping statement alert.

I don't really understand the hate Valdes gets off you lot. He's more of a success story than anything else you're accusing him of. He went from being a walking brain fart in his early days to a very solid keeper who was in conversation for a top European keeper for several years. You don't win 4 Zamoras on the back of the lines ahead of you only. In 10/11 he conceded 16 league goals. That's 2 better than Oblak's best season at Atletico.

No doubt it's calling him a legend is a bit much, but you guys above me going for these lack of respect BS edgelord posts need to get a grip.

imo he is a legend, he was part of the GOAT club team and he got better as time went on. he was the weak link though for sure and was always likely to have a major brain fart (that AdM one was terrible), i never really trusted him like i do with MaTS

[youtube]LeurPjPYMM4[/youtube]

:lol:

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
That’s like the only major one I can remember from Pep, Tito and Tata days. In a time where Casillas was declining rapidly, De Gea and Courtois were raw but improving, Gigi was Gigi and Neuer skyrocketed out there.. he really was in conversation for top5. But he never liked any of the attention he got. He’s an idealist who doesn’t think footballers should be paid as much to do what they do.

Morten

Its easy to not concede goals when the other teams literally cant get past the midfield circle, that said, Valdes was a solid keeper for the most part.

Porque

When Valdes started becoming Spain national team goalkeeper in 2013 (check out the highlights of France 0-1 Spain in WorldCup14 qualifying) he was at his absolute peak and one of the top goalkeepers in the World. Shame it was cut short with that horrible injury.

Valdes does not get enough credit. We rode the storm with him initially, but he ended up a damn good goalkeeper and easily a club legend. When a big European tie and Champions League final came up, you knew Valdes would step up.

El Gato

Villarato!
^This.

Not to mention if half of your current squad were as committed to the Barca shirt as he was, you wouldn’t be in and out of this primadonna shithouse. He was the dude that was crushed by every mistake he made, he cared, put his face in his hands, genuinely apologised to the fans, worked on it to get better and he did.

Can’t put a good man like that down.

kattanib

Valdes is a Barca legend and he has served us well. It is because of him we won that champions league against Arsenal. Unfortunately most human beings are bunch of sheeps that don’t dare to take a route other than that the herd is taking. It was cool back in the days to bash Valdes so almost everyone did. Assholes.

God Serena

Saying Valdes, who up until Mats emerged was probably the greatest keeper in our history, is not a club legend is absolutely ludicrous. The AdM mistake was horrid but let's not pretend it costed us anything more than a SuperCopa that we would never mention again had we won it (Real Madrid won it obviously and they went on to melt down over the course of that season).

The scrutiny Valdes gets sometimes is laughable. Had he not injured himself one could easily argue that we could have won the treble under Tata, as every single competition we failed to win was marred by Pinto failing to be a decent keeper in such spectacular fashion that to this day people still argue about us having a "Pinto situation" with our backup goalkeeper.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Valdes played a style of football most goalkeepers in that era did not. Always associated with more risk. Sure he had a brainfart in him 2 or 3 times every season, but he often came up clutch for the team too. He also struggled with his own demons throughout it all which is why he often came across as a strange guy and a bit of a loner, but gave his all to the team and the club.

It's unfortunate it ended the way it did.

It's a pity people often downplay his achievements for the team. Sure MAtS is a better player, but playing as a goalkeeper like that wasn't the norm in European Football before Neuer and the rest of the generation came along. Valdes did it before. He wasn't the best to ever do it, but that surely contributed to some of the risks he took and the mistakes it led to.

Home of Barca Fans