1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Altomonte

I think MAtS' performance against Liverpool has not received enough attention during all this Valverde Bashing!
He was rated one of the two top GK's of the Champions League, along with Alisson Becker, but did not show up when it counted at Anfield.
While Alisson SAVED 4-5 goals (thereof 3 Potential Messi Assists), MAtS conceded 4 goals.
And it's not the first time that MAtS conceded 4 goals, he did it before this season against Betis and against Villarreal.
Why is MAtS conceding 4 goals 3 times in one season, in a year where he performed consistently at a very high level?
I think it cannot only be blamed on an underperforming defense, it's something mental with him. Is it related to a feeling that he does not have to try so hard anymore when the clean sheet is gone?
I think a highlight reel showing the 3 x 4 = 12 goals he conceded in those 3 matches would prove my point: his concentration drops when he has a bad day and drops a couple of easy goals: then conceding #3 and #4 can happen because somehow he has given up.
MAtS was one of Barça's top players, perhaps the second best along with Piqué during the La Liga season. However, he needs to work on his mental state after making a sloppy mistake: he needs to forget quickly and get back to his high level in order to avoid more 4-goal disasters.

Last edited:

El Guaje

I think MAtS' performance against Liverpool has not received enough attention during all this Valverde Bashing!
He was rated one of the two top GK's of the Champions League, along with Alisson Becker, but did not show up when it counted at Anfield.
While Alisson SAVED 4-5 goals (thereof 3 Potential Messi Assists), MAtS conceded 4 goals.
And it's not the first time that MAtS conceded 4 goals, he did it before this season against Betis and against Villarreal.
Why is MAtS conceding 4 goals 3 times in one season, in a year where he performed consistently at a very high level?
I think it cannot only be blamed on an underperforming defense, it's something mental with him. Is it related to a feeling that he does not have to try so hard anymore when the clean sheet is gone?
I think a highlight reel showing the 3 x 4 = 12 goals he conceded in those 3 matches would prove my point: his concentration drops when he has a bad day and drops a couple of easy goals: then conceding #3 and #4 can happen because somehow he has given up.
MAtS was one of Barça's top players, perhaps the second best along with Piqué during the La Liga season. However, he needs to work on his mental state after making a sloppy mistake: he needs to forget quickly and get back to his high level in order to avoid more 4-goal disasters.

Bunch of bullcrap. You cant just compare pure numbers.

God Serena

Why can't we blame the defense? In each and every one of those games where we concede multiple goals you can point to an entire team that plays like utter rubbish. Maybe if the team could manage to put a shot on target without praying for Messi to do it (Every shot on goal against Liverpool was either created or taken by Messi) or if the midfield could actually do what they're supposed to do and defend (Because they sure aren't doing anything creatively), we wouldn't need to dogpile on top of the goalkeeper in the first place?

Tackle

Why can't we blame the defense? In each and every one of those games where we concede multiple goals you can point to an entire team that plays like utter rubbish. Maybe if the team could manage to put a shot on target without praying for Messi to do it (Every shot on goal against Liverpool was either created or taken by Messi) or if the midfield could actually do what they're supposed to do and defend (Because they sure aren't doing anything creatively), we wouldn't need to dogpile on top of the goalkeeper in the first place?

When Ter Stegen is poor and allows weak goals in the Champions League semi-final we shouldn't pile on the goalkeeper and the defense needs to better, but when Cillessen is poor after sitting on the bench for months and concedes a few softies in a meaningless league match we should call for his head?

Let's ignore the fact that Jasper has been a model professional and has mostly been spectacular when called upon so a clueless, opportunistic muppet such as yourself can peddle your petty agenda against him when he has a shocker in a dead rubber.

By your same logic Ter Stegen should be on the first taxi out of town considering he has been in net for some of the worst Champions League defeats in our club's history and has let in a fair few shockers in those games himself, but I digress.

Double standards aye?

Top, top stuff mate.

Devils

Exactly.

Look at the players who have played pretty much all of those CL humiliation matches:

MAtS, Roberto, Alba, Pique, Busi, Rakitic, Suarez and Messi.

MAtS and Roberto are the only 'young' players out of that group, it's embarrassing they play they way they do.

I'd ship out that entire group of players (minus Messi). Bunch of pussies that lot.

Scary to think that Roberto and MAtS will likely be main captains in a few years time. Shambles.

Devils

don't tarnish the name of the world's best goalkeeper with some fucking hollywood superhero bullshit!

14273834-0-image-m-17_1559505381876.jpg

MOTM worthy performances in the CL semi-final and final alongside VVD.

Meanwhile MAtS has been conceding 3-4 goals in CL elimination matches for 3 years straight now.

That's a massive gap in quality.

Calling MAtS the best keeper in the world is just like calling Suarez the best striker in the world because he is among the top scorers in La Liga despite being utter shambles in the CL (like MAtS)

Last edited:

LMTR14

I've seen almost all barca games in the last 2 years. Ter Stegen was as important on the rear as Messi was on the front. Never seen that guy above play but he simply can't have that carrying power - why? cause other top teams don't let (low level) opponents have so many fucking opportunities! blaming mats for the CL outs is beyond laughable.

kattanib

Exactly.

Look at the players who have played pretty much all of those CL humiliation matches:

MAtS, Roberto, Alba, Pique, Busi, Rakitic, Suarez and Messi.

MAtS and Roberto are the only 'young' players out of that group, it's embarrassing they play they way they do.

I'd ship out that entire group of players (minus Messi). Bunch of pussies that lot.

Scary to think that Roberto and MAtS will likely be main captains in a few years time. Shambles.

Don’t forget to ship yourself with them too

Messigician

I prefer Alisson to him now. Watching Ter Stegen clap for TAA corner boils my blood. And people want him captain? He should organise the defence ffs.
He has a tendency to lose concentration and freeze in big games.

Respekt_III

CyaWouldntWannaBeYa
I prefer Alisson to him now. Watching Ter Stegen clap for TAA corner boils my blood. And people want him captain? He should organise the defence ffs.
He has a tendency to lose concentration and freeze in big games.

shits on one of our best players then backs current suarez as starter for next season.....

Home of Barca Fans