Mateo Kovačić

RedMadridista

The Troll Hunter
Name: Mateo Kovačić
DOB: 6 May 1994

Born in Linz in Austria to Bosnian Croat parents who had moved there in 1991 from Kotor Varoš in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kovačić began playing at an early age at the local LASK Linz's academyIn 2007, when Kovačić was 13, the talented midfielder was spotted by scouts from several prominent European clubs including VfB Stuttgart, Ajax, Juventus and Bayern Munich, but his family opted to move to Zagreb instead where he joined Croatian giants' Dinamo Zagreb academy.

Kovačić suffered a serious injury in 2009 in which his leg was broken, but he returned to the pitch after a lengthy recovery on 31 May 2010, appearing in the last match of the Croatian U17 academy league, a 5–0 win against RNK Split U17s.

The young midfielder started training with the club's senior squad under manager Vahid Halilhodžić four months later on 6 October 2010, but continued to appear for the club in academy league matches during October. Later that month it was reported by the local sports daily Sportske novosti that Arsenal's chief scout Steve Rowley had arrived in Zagreb to watch him perform in U17 matches against Cibalia and NK Zagreb.

I can't find a topic on this guy.

He will be a BIG star. Watch this space......

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Kovacic signed for Inter for 15 million euros. Pissed that Dinamo sold yet another youngster.

Galning

Don't know about the first name, I also think it's ma-te-yo but I'm pretty sure his last name is Ko-va-sich

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
tall order indeed but it shows that Inter value him and do have big plans for him in the future. The only question now is whether or not he will live up to his expectations.

XaviMessiGirl

Apparently impressed in training, though think the comparisons to Baggio in the press are a bit much already.

178194-500.jpg

Nice hat Branca.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Now Bojan, will you start supporting Inter?

With Bojan still in Milan? ;)

Inter also had Simic from Dinamo 10 years ago or so and I thought he was quite decent. Hope he gives few pointers to Kovacic.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Short update on this kid. Kovacic made his debut with Croatian NT 2 days ago in 2-0 win against Serbia.
I was very impressed with that I saw.

Home of Barca Fans