Copa Libertadores

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Everyone's favourite competition is back in action!

Here's how the first set of matches went:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Copa_Libertadores_Second_Stage

Group 1:
The Strongest :)worthy:) upset Santos at home. Granted playing in La Paz is never easy, so all save the schadenfreude for the next time Santos screws up. But yes, Neymar was a non-factor. The Bolivians with the coolest name in football are joint leaders with perennial Libertadores powerhouse Internacional, who easily beat Peruvian side Juan Aurich in Porto Alegre.

Group 2:
Emelic beat Olimpia 1-0 in Ecuador, Flamengo and Lanús played out a 1-1 draw in Argentina. Nothing much to say about this as I didn't pay attention to either. Emelic leads the group but this one can go to anyone.

Group 3:
A weak group, Chilean side Unión Española have the advantage leading after the first games by easily beating Colombian side Junior de Barranquilla at home, while fellow Chileans Universidad Católica hurt their chances with a poor draw against Bolívar at home.

Group 4:
Fluminense took a very important lead by narrowly beating everyone's favourite Argentinian club with no fans, Arsenal de Sarandí, in Brazil. Boca Juniors played to a 0-0 draw against Zamora in Venezuela.

Group 5:
One of two groups where 2 teams have played 2 matches already, also one of the best groups on paper. Vasco da Gama and Nacional are two of the most exciting teams in South America right now, and in their first matchup the Uruguayans upset Vasco in Brazil. But the group is currently being lead by Paraguayan side Libertad, who easily killed group whipping boy Alianza Lima last week, and then last night upset Nacional in Paraguay. It was a deserved win too, the Paraguayans outplayed Gallardo's team. Vasco now have a must win game against Alianza Lima in Brazil on March 6th.

Group 6:
Cruz Azul, my favourite Mexican team, leads after beating Nacional (the Paraguayan edition) in Asunción, while Corinthians and Deportivo Táchira both have 1 point after drawing in Venezuela.

Group 7:
Vélez Sársfield are a class apart here, and showed it by killing joint leaders (though Vélez have a game in hand) Defensor Sporting in Montevideo. Defensor have 3 points in 2 games after beating Deportivo Quito at home, while Deportivo are in poor shape with 1 point in as many games. Chivas de Guadalajara drew with Deportivo in Mexico in their one game played.

Group 8:
"Barcelona of the Americas" Universidad de Chile are showing the effects of losing breakout star Eduardo Vargas as they were slaughtered in Colombia against Atlético Nacional on tuesday. Yesterday Godoy Cruz won a close, exciting game against Peñarol in Mendoza that could have gone either way, settled by an excellent strike by Diego Villar.

I will be back for an update in March.

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Yesterday was blowout tuesday.

Group 8 has proven to be the group of death, and Atletico Nacional is easily the surprise of the tournament. Dominating U de Chile at home was one thing, but to humiliate last years runner up Peñarol (final score 0-4) in Montevideo is damn impressive. Jherson Cordoba and Dorlan Pabon (who now has 7 goals in 5 games so far in 2012) both did far more than Neymar was able to last year by getting a brace each. Peñarol have an uphill battle to qualify now.

In other blowouts, Arsenal beat Zamora 3-0 in Avellaneda and Cruz Azul beat Deportivo Tachira 4-0 in Mexico City. Neither are particularly shocking as the Venezuelan sides are poor on the road. On the other hand an upset occured in La Paz, where Unión Española continued their run for qualification beating Bolivar 3-1 even with the altitude against them.

DucdeOrléans

Keep the updates coming.

I have not watched a single match yet but hopefully I will find the time to see Flamengo and Ronaldinho in action.

Not sure who the favorites are this year but I would not be surprised to see a Brazilian team win it again (Corinthians, Santos or Vasco).

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Keep the updates coming.

I have not watched a single match yet but hopefully I will find the time to see Flamengo and Ronaldinho in action.

Not sure who the favorites are this year but I would not be surprised to see a Brazilian team win it again (Corinthians, Santos or Vasco).

Cheers, glad people are reading it.

None of the Brazilians are as strong as Santos last year, going into it I'd say Vasco, Cortinthians and Flu would have been among the favourites but only Flu has looked good so far, it's still early though. Besides that Universidad de Chile, Boca, Nacional (the Uruguayan one), Velez and Lanus. Can't count out Atletico Nacional and Cruz Azul either, and not just because of their performance so far.

FCB_M3

I can't feel ma face!
Chivas got trashed today 3-0 :O?!

Wonder when a Mexican team will ever when this?

La Furia

Legion of Doooom

Velez is one of the favourites IMO. That's their second 3-0 win a row. If any Mexican team stands a chance this year it's Cruz Azul.

La U is back on track, destroying Godoy Cruz in Mendoz 5-1. Shots on goal were 13 to 1. :lol: Hat trick for Junior Fernandes. :worthy: A Cobreloa product like Asexis.

Last edited:

FCB_M3

I can't feel ma face!
Velez is one of the favourites IMO. That's their second 3-0 win a row. If any Mexican team stands a chance this year it's Cruz Azul.

La U is back on track, destroying Godoy Cruz in Mendoz 5-1. Shots on goal were 13 to 1. :lol: Hat trick for Junior Fernandes. :worthy: A Cobreloa product like Asexis.

Yea think they do. I was really disappointed about tigres I really thought they stood a chance, tuca just had to fuxxkk it up by playing a B team.

Blue Demon

La Maquina Cementera Cruz Azul might have a good chance. Looked well this week. Chivas is just in a bad bind right now. Really doing bad in the Mexican primera. I think they're in last.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
No real exciting matchups tonight.. The Strongest continues to look if not the strongest, at least strong in La Paz, beating the not going to qualify Juan Aurich 2-1. If The Strongest keep it up at home one of the Brazilian sides in Group 1 may be in trouble. Lanus continue to be a major disappointment, losing to Olimpia in Asuncion and jeopardizing their qualification chances, while Universidad Catolica draw with Atletico Junior 2-2 in Chile.

La Maquina Cementera Cruz Azul might have a good chance. Looked well this week. Chivas is just in a bad bind right now. Really doing bad in the Mexican primera. I think they're in last.

Cruz Azul looks solid, they should qualify. The only real threat in that group is Corinthians.

I believe Chivas has yet to win in 2012, in any competition.

Last edited:

Blue Demon

No real exciting matchups tonight.. The Strongest continues to look if not the strongest, at least strong in La Paz, beating the not going to qualify Juan Aurich 2-1. If The Strongest keep it up at home one of the Brazilian sides in Group 1 may be in trouble. Lanus continue to be a major disappointment, losing to Olimpia in Asuncion and jeopardizing their qualification chances, while Universidad Catolica draw with Atletico Junior 2-2 in Chile.

Cruz Azul looks solid, they should qualify. The only real threat in that group is Corinthians.

I believe Chivas has yet to win in 2012, in any competition.

Cruz Azul, correct me if I am wrong cuz I'm going by memory, was the only Mexican team to get to the finals of the copa libertadores?

Yeah, I keep on hearing only negative things about Chivas and their owner this year. Anyway, cheers for starting this thread. Big fan of the libertadores and looking forward to a good tourney.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Cruz Azul, correct me if I am wrong cuz I'm going by memory, was the only Mexican team to get to the finals of the copa libertadores?

Yeah, I keep on hearing only negative things about Chivas and their owner this year. Anyway, cheers for starting this thread. Big fan of the libertadores and looking forward to a good tourney.

Well they were until Chivas made it to the final two years ago (they lost to Internacional).

FCB_M3

I can't feel ma face!
Sooo much for CA standing a chance lol 4-0 70th minute

Edit: wait this isn't the first team
Isn't it lol I see three digit jersey numbers, are CA qualified already?

Home of Barca Fans