Copa Libertadores

Pepe Silvia

Why are Chivas so popular among chicano communities? Marketing? Or is it just because most are from outside of Mexico City and the Chivas-America rivalry has something of a big city, big money vs everyone else vibe? I know Chivas is easily the most well known of the Mexcian teams in the US, but since I'm not from a place with much Mexican influence (Mexicans are a small and marginalized portion of the Hispanic population in NY, which sucks for food), I don't really know the details.

I like Cruz Azul for a mix of the them usually playing sexy football, a good record in South American tournaments, friends from Mexico City all seem to support either them or UNAM, and because they usually have at least one Argentine player at all times. :D
Pumas has a great philosophy, really similar in ways to ours (Barça). A player must have good education and be a good person (ethics) to be considered there. There logo is brilliant also :D

With Chivas, it is two fold: working class fans ("La Gente" - whaat ever) and the pride that their players are all of Mexican decent. That much gives them their niche in FMF, and therefore a lot of support goes their way. There school is very successful too (as we've seen in friendlies preseason).

My Àguilas have a huge following and have had more stars in the past. Our biggest era was in the 80s I believe and the term Àguilas was formed. We are struggling to mesh lately with a lot of individual stars coming in and out and coaches getting fired left and right, but right now we are looking pretty good and sitting in 3rd (much better from the disaster from last season - just ouch). Our fans are pretty impatient right now because we've had a really poor run, but not only that, more crucial poor play. We've had the quality just haven't played well together. Our fans have kept it together and bandwagons/trolls have long abandoned.

I just felt compelled to make them my team once I witnessed Cabanas play. Back then I was following Pumas first (for the logo) and MUCH more with Primera in Argentina, so I just was getting a feel for the players, style and teams in FMF. When I saw Cabanas' scrappy, straight forward never say die style and deadly finishing, I was sold. Àguilas all the way... I don't know of any other América fans tbh. Locals all follow Chivas, and I be like "Fxck y'all ni99as!" HAHA!

Cruz Azul are a good team to follow too bro. Classy. A girl I used to date (really nice looking Mexican girl) followed them.

Blue Demon, Monterrey are awesome. They play some good football. Recent titles too if I'm not mistaken :)

:beer2:

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I considered being an América fan actually, that team can be damn exciting and always has some nice names, but I couldn't do it. Wanted to stick with a DF team though, figured it's more appropriate for a white boy like me. Could never support Chivas, though I do respect what they have done for the Mexican NT.

Do enjoy the Mexican league, wish my sports interest weren't so scattered to learn it more closely but since I don't get Fox Soccer, ESPN Deportes or Gol TV on shitty comcast, I have it on in the background a lot.

Now Boca fans, that's a different story. :p

Blue Demon

I heard that many of the fans in Guadalajara were complaining of the new Omnilife stadium that and their fake turf. I heard through the radio that Cruyff in his mentoring gig mentioned the artificial pitch had to change.

Pepe, I have a few compadres who are America fans. Good peeps to hang with; they always do a carne asada when the team plays Chivas. The atmosphere gets crazy if America wins. Much like when we play Real the past few times. haha.

The Cabañas tragedy got everybody's attention and shined a light on the violence down there. Sad situation. Looks like he is going to be playing in Paraguay. Good he is doing well nowadays and will play.

http://www.urgente24.com/197198-cabanas-vuelve-a-ser-jugador-profesional-en-paraguay

Pepe Silvia

Chivas 0 - 2 Velez Sarsfield

Chivas silenced at Omnilife and pretty much out... couldn't be happier.

Ahora Dale Dale Dale Boca!!! :wub:

We are gonna need Santiago Silva to step up. He needs to convert to the Boca way under Riquelme and work much harder. His assists and overall game are nice, but he needs to start pounding in goals. Cvitanich is the man and I'm expecting him to start running rampant too. His header against Argentinos Juniors on the weekend was brilliant.

Cmon JRR!!!

Pepe Silvia

Silenced? lol the stadium was empty...

Edit: why no love for
Chivas?
There were fans in the stands and they were standing still with looks of horror. And we've been over this before bro, I am an Aguilas fan... :p

No JRR I forgot. I heard that this Boca has been playing much faster and fluid since JRR kind of slows down play and has a more methodical approach. Let's see how we do!!!

Blue Demon

El Chiverio knows their team is down in the dumps, not even Cryuff can save them this year. I was hearing the Fox Deportes dudes talking about how they should improve for next year during the game.

Boca looks good tonight. As of now, eight to go and they're up 2.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Velez completely demolished Chivas in Mexico.

Boca vital win vs Flu. Looks like the bostero trash and their horrible football will curse us in the next round.

Corinthians beat Nacional: Paraguayan edition.

Pepe Silvia

Cvitanich! Aguero type of goal bullying the defender and finished it nicely too. Jugador del Partido :wub:

We played well but almost let them back in the game with that late penal. Orión with the Valdes heroics though...

Silva could have made it 3-0 on the last break away but he was already off fantasizing about his first beer of the night. That's the kind of lapse that pisses me off. He is too casual about things. He is a bulldog and is physical but he hasn't been very effective in front of goal.

Anyway, happy about the result... in Brazil!

EDIT: Gallina I just read your post...
View attachment 5262

Last edited:

FCB_M3

I can't feel ma face!
There were fans in the stands and they were standing still with looks of horror. And we've been over this before bro, I am an Aguilas fan... :p

No JRR I forgot. I heard that this Boca has been playing much faster and fluid since JRR kind of slows down play and has a more methodical approach. Let's see how we do!!!

Still doesn't make sense, wait what's your nationality lol
Idk me I'm a pumas fan, despite me
Disliking America I would root for them in a competition like this, I'd support any Mexican team in the liberatadores despite them being our rivale, idk maybe just me.

Blue Demon

Cvitanich! Aguero type of goal bullying the defender and finished it nicely too. Jugador del Partido :wub:

We played well but almost let them back in the game with that late penal. Orión with the Valdes heroics though...

Silva could have made it 3-0 on the last break away but he was already off fantasizing about his first beer of the night. That's the kind of lapse that pisses me off. He is too casual about things. He is a bulldog and is physical but he hasn't been very effective in front of goal.

Anyway, happy about the result... in Brazil!

EDIT: Gallina I just read your post...
View attachment 5262

Feliz cumple pa. :lol:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Round of 16 time!

Bolivar-Santos
Neymar sucks at high altitudes. Once again Santos looks mediocre in Bolivia, losing 2-1 to the hosts. Great result for Bolivar but I expect Santos to kill them in Brazil.

In Porto Alegre there was a Brazilian bore-fest, 0-0 between Internacional and Fluminense. Inter blew a penalty.

Stay tuned for a far more exciting matchup on May 1 - Atletico Nacional v Velez.

Also, go U, Cruz Azul and Vasco.

Home of Barca Fans