Copa Libertadores

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Furia, you were right. That Godoy-Atl. Nacional was a hell of a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did I tell you. :D

What a fucking game. Group 8 is just epic.

Hope the rest of you caught that when you were done pulling yourselves over the thought of Neymar's hair.

DucdeOrléans

You should be banned for this.

No seriously though, the Brazilian league is far richer right now, it's more comparable to mid level European leagues than the rest of South America. The Argentine league is a basket case and until there's reform it doesn't matter how much Argentina's economy grows. Not that the Brazilian league isn't a den of corruption either, but Brazil is a rising global superpower.

Flam is currently beating Emelec. Don't expect much out of Emelec, they've been consistently good in Ecuador for the past few years but keep losing out to the two Quito sides, plus like their Guayaquil rivals Barcelona SC (nice crest) they don't have the altitude advantage of Quito teams. Flamengo needs to win this one.

Nah, I am just telling the truth.

Indeed it is. I tried to explain this to some of the dimwits in the Neymar thread (you know the usual English gang (Superfly etc.) and their "everything that is not European must be shit" bullshit).

Today the Argentine league is not really comparable with the Brazilian which in my opinion is just as good as everything Europe can offer apart from the top 5 leagues.

Did not catch Flamengo's game but saw that Vagner Love (what a name) scored the only goal. I like them the most in Brazil but I doubt that they will win either the league title or Copa Libertadores (Corinthians, Santos, Fluminese, Vasco De Gama) are all better IMO just from Brazil.

Yeah, I know that there exists a Barcelona SC in Ecuador. But that is not as funny as the Real MadriZ team from Guatemala (if I am not mistaken):lol:

I love that altitude plays a role in South America - the best example of this La Paz.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
The short-lived FIFA altitude ban was such a disgrace, I'm so happy the backlash was vocal enough to kill it. High altitude football is epic.

The biggest thing the Brazilian league has over the Argentine league, because it has money, is stability. The best Argentine sides can compete, but as soon as they peak they have to sell half their team. It's the biggest problem with Latin American football, the shelf life of teams is a lot shorter.

DucdeOrléans

The short-lived FIFA altitude ban was such a disgrace, I'm so happy the backlash was vocal enough to kill it. High altitude football is epic.

The biggest thing the Brazilian league has over the Argentine league, because it has money, is stability. The best Argentine sides can compete, but as soon as they peak they have to sell half their team. It's the biggest problem with Latin American football, the shelf life of teams is a lot shorter.

Indeed.

Another annoying feature (at least in my opinion) is the organization of the Argentine league. They should really implement the same system as Brazil and abandon the stupid Apertura/Clasura thing. And well, yeah the economy sucks in Argentina in general compared to Brazil. That obviously also has a say in terms of the strenght of the two leagues.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Actually, the majority of the region except Brazil has some sort of Apertura/Clasura system. I like it better when there is a final at the end to determine the ultimate winner, but there's no point in abandoning that just to be like Brazil.

DucdeOrléans

Actually, the majority of the region except Brazil has some sort of Apertura/Clasura system. I like it better when there is a final at the end to determine the ultimate winner, but there's no point in abandoning that just to be like Brazil.

Well as I said I am not the one to decide whether they should change their league system but I think it would be better for the league.

I mean is it not a bit strange that you can win the league title 2 times in 1 year? (one regular reason in Europe)? I know it is tradition and all (I know Chile has the Apertura/Clasura as well and Columbia, Mexico etc. if I am not mistaken) but is it really necessary?

Last edited:

Blue Demon

Never was a big fan of the Apertura/Clausura system. I usually have a hard time keeping up who goes to tournaments. Like with Monterrey in the Mexican league who went to the world club cup. I think they shouldn't have even gone because they were not the best in the latter part of the year. I remember the talking head analysts debating the system after Monterrey immediately lost.

Blue Demon

Only caught Cruz Azul/Corinthians and Flamengo/Olympia last week. Olympia came back to tie the game and the former wasn't all that good till the very end.

See how Cruz Azul does this week.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Only caught Cruz Azul/Corinthians and Flamengo/Olympia last week. Olympia came back to tie the game and the former wasn't all that good till the very end.

See how Cruz Azul does this week.

Cruz Azul is still in control of the group, but Corinthians is picking it up. Both teams should qualify though, the other two are rather poor.

Doesn't look like there's going to be any major upsets besides the epicness that is Group 8. I'm hoping Arsenal knock off Boca and The Strongest continues to be the strongest against one of the two Brazilian sides in that group, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Blue Demon

Oh man, just saw that Godoy/Atl.Nacional return leg going to be played on Thursday. Hope it is as epic as the first one.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Oh man, just saw that Godoy/Atl.Nacional return leg going to be played on Thursday. Hope it is as epic as the first one.

I'm afraid Godoy will get crushed because Atletico Nacional has looked ridiculous at home, but I definitely need to watch that one. I hate how only 2 teams from that group can qualify, I basically love every team in it.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Another epic Atletico Nacional-Godoy Cruz matchup. La U is going to have a tough time qualifying at this rate. :(

Blue Demon

Epic. Pure Epic game last night. Wanted 'Verde Paisa' to win, but in the end, both teams were exemplary.

I read that Neymar got injured this week, yet he scored. Probably not that bad of an injury.

Blue Demon

La U got a good victory last night.

Chivas got their hides handed over to them today. Not looking good for them.

Caught the tail end of the Olimpia/Flamengo game to see Olimpia get the important win. Wish I would have gotten off work sooner to catch the whole game.

Home of Barca Fans