Jordi Masip

Horatio

You're welcome
Let it be known that I don't rate Valdes
But he was taller than masip

By 3 cm's. Which can have big impact in football, but it is too little for you argument to hit home. I still think there can be 1.80 cm good keepers. 1.83 cm isn't an absolute threshold that Valdes luckily hit.

There is an average height for keepers but I think you can have succesful outliers, those possibly needing to compensate through talent and intelligence. Whether Masip has those I will leave up to you.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
[MENTION=20218]Horatio[/MENTION]
Is Masip "excellent" in those areas?

I edited my post before I read this question of yours which kind of addresses your question.

But my point is that if you think Masip is not good enough it likely doesn't come down to purely height but rather that he lacks in multiple areas.

khaled_a_d

Valdes is 3 cm higher.

Centimetres matters, you know?

A gk cant be so short

That's a huge disadvantage, it's like a winger who can't dribble at all

1-Valdes was Staring GK for 11 years here. Masip is just 3rd GK. Those CMs won't actually make him bad for his role here.
2-Masip was gr8 in Segunda,probably was best GK there in his last year.I think he is good enough for a 1st team in football in smaller League or may be even smaller club in Liga.
3-Sergio Álvarez is even shorter and he is a decent GK in Liga. Beto wasn't impressive but had decent couple of years in Sevilla and he is same height.
Those GKs played in Liga recently who are same height at Masip,our 3rd GK

gasgas

1-Valdes was Staring GK for 11 years here. Masip is just 3rd GK. Those CMs won't actually make him bad for his role here.
2-Masip was gr8 in Segunda,probably was best GK there in his last year.I think he is good enough for a 1st team in football in smaller League or may be even smaller club in Liga.
3-Sergio Álvarez is even shorter and he is a decent GK in Liga. Beto wasn't impressive but had decent couple of years in Sevilla and he is same height.
Those GKs played in Liga recently who are same height at Masip,our 3rd GK

Doesn't stop it from being a disadvantage

El Flaco

Penalty call

[gfy]CleverYearlyAzurevasesponge[/gfy]

Masip's conceded goal from Omar Abdulrahman vs. Al Ahli

[gfy]CourageousRawBushbaby[/gfy]

Masip's 1st conceded goal from Muhannad Aseri vs. Al Ahli

[gfy]AdmiredHiddenHart[/gfy]

Masip's 2nd conceded goal from Muhannad Aseri vs. Al Ahli

[gfy]HeartfeltAptKakarikis[/gfy]

mateopol

I hope with Cillessen injury, Lucho will start ter Stegen and Masip won't play. Masip is terrible, even worse for Pinto who also shouldn't have played in both finals vs RM (Pinto cost us that two Finals plus CL vs Atletico in 2013-14). NO MASIP!

Albo

I hope with Cillessen injury, Lucho will start ter Stegen and Masip won't play. Masip is terrible, even worse for Pinto who also shouldn't have played in both finals vs RM (Pinto cost us that two Finals plus CL vs Atletico in 2013-14). NO MASIP!

Pinto is and was a god compared to Masip.

xXKonan

Seen that Masip, will leave this summer. He apparently had an agreement to extend his contract for one more season but the sporting department decided to go back to only having two first team Keepers in Mats and Jasper for next season and if one of them are injured a B team GK will be used as backup.

Messi983

I think it's the right decision to let Masip go. Nothing personal against him but it's better for him if he goes to a club where he'll have a chance to play and while his wages are not high we could now give that money to someone that will actually play for us in official games.

Also, just my guess but does anyone think this might also tell us that Unzue won't be next coach? I think he'd probably like to continue with 3 first team GKs.

God Serena

I think it's the right decision to let Masip go. Nothing personal against him but it's better for him if he goes to a club where he'll have a chance to play and while his wages are not high we could now give that money to someone that will actually play for us in official games.

Also, just my guess but does anyone think this might also tell us that Unzue won't be next coach? I think he'd probably like to continue with 3 first team GKs.

It's great to look for any glimmer of hope but I don't think Unzue would care about a 3rd keeper if push came to shove. Using Barca B's starting keeper as an option in the rare (read: never) situation where a 3rd keeper is needed makes too much sense imo.

Messi983

It's great to look for any glimmer of hope but I don't think Unzue would care about a 3rd keeper if push came to shove. Using Barca B's starting keeper as an option in the rare (read: never) situation where a 3rd keeper is needed makes too much sense imo.

Not really, I'd be ok with Unzue as new coach. Just got that idea before and thought I'd mention it here but yeah, it's probably unlikely.

Home of Barca Fans