Nationality: French
Born: 25th May, 1985, Sevres, France
Height: 1.89m (6ft 2.5ins)
Weight: 84.7kgs
Previous clubs: Rouen, Mouscron, 1989 Hoffenheim, West Ham United
Signed: June 2011 from West Ham United
Newcastle United debut: 13th August, 2011 v Arsenal (home), Premier League
Position: Striker

A free transfer arrival from relegated West Ham United on 17th June 2011, Demba Ba became Newcastle manager Alan Pardew's second signing of the summer of 2011.The striker was brought in to boost United's threat in front of goal, and made an immediate impact on Tyneside.Ba's Newcastle debut came against Arsneal on the opening day of the 2011/12 campaign, but took eight games to break his duck in the black and white stripes. However, he managed that against Blackburn on 17th September, and did it in some style - netting a hat-trick as United ran out comfortable 3-1 winners at St. James' Park. And that was the begging of a real hot streak for the big front man, who bagged eight goals in just six appearances, including another treble at Stoke.

Early Days

Ba's professional career began at Rouen, where he spent one very successful season, before joining Mouscron in 2006.

The striker was prolific during his one year at the Belgian outfit, but his spell was interrupted by fractures to his tibia and fibula. He moved clubs and countries again soon after, switching to Germany and TSG 1899 Hoffenheim in August 2009, and Ba played a key role in their promotion to the Bundesliga and the seventh-placed top flight finish which followed.

A move to the Premier League came about in January 2011 when Ba signed for West Ham United, and although he netted seven goals in 12 games, he was unable to save the Hammers from relegation.

International Career

Ba made his debut for Senegal in June 2007 against Tanzania, marking his first cap with a goal. The striker is hoping to be named in Senegal's squad for the 2012 African Cup of Nations.

Last edited:

Hatem Ben Arfa

....WHAT A GOAL! FIRST TIME FINISH TOO!!!

He should have had a penalty too before that! Howad Webb is definitely a Man Utd fan

Hatem Ben Arfa

article-1383018-0CB34623000005DC-462_634x446.jpg

it has been so true tonight!

Almost every decision is going United's way. Should have been a penalty for Ba in the first half.

zanela

I think all the hate for these Newcastle players is more to do with HBA starting their respective threads than anything else. :lol:

Demba Ba is having a great season. Remains to be seen if he resumes this form on returning from ACN. He's impressed me with his target play and shooting so far. His first touch is quite good for a man of his size. ManU D could barely keep up with him tonite.

B

barcelonista

He's a beast. But he twice failed a medical test, did he not? Only thing that will prevent him from going to a top club. Anyway, 98462758546794 times the player that Carroll is.

B

barcelonista

His first touch is quite good for a man of his size.

I'm confused. What has first touch to do with size? The likes of Ibrahimovic and Berbatov have very good first touches. So did Zidane. And Bergkamp was the master of it.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I said Ba would keep West Ham up when he signed for them last year. but injury prevented him from playing enough to do so. still got 7 in 13, though.

whoever signed him for Newcastle took a chance, but it was one worth taking. he is an absolute BEAST.

as good as his goal was here, I was even more impressed with his clipped shot against Liverpool that Skrtel cleared off the line. it was such a sublime effort and deserved a goal. but then this finish was capped with Sajda. :worthy:

he absolutely mauled Rio and Jones tonight. although Pardew & Ameobi must take credit too, because the team was set-up so Ba & Ameobi basically went 1v1 against the CB's and Ameobi dragged Jones all over the pitch isolating Rio against Ba. and when Jones went to help, he was too exhausted to do anything of note. check what happened for the foul before the free-kick. was like he wasn't even there.

also the wingers that United had at FB (surely that's all Evra is these days) didn't help. they should have been back there helping out. or, if Fergie was tactically smart, he'd have switched to 3 at the back so there'd always be one man free on the cover.

anyway: Ba is brilliant. Newcastle will struggle badly in his absence. I like Ameobi and Best, but they're not in Ba's class.

Senegal are so spoiled for strikers. wish they could lend one to Mali. or Ghana even (heck, with a proper goalscorer up-top Ghana could be a legit threat to a lot of European & Samerican teams).

BerkeleyBernie

I'm confused. What has first touch to do with size? The likes of Ibrahimovic and Berbatov have very good first touches. So did Zidane. And Bergkamp was the master of it.

The exceptions prove the rule.

It's physics. Dexterity is harder the more mass you're trying to control. And likely, as big men develop as players, most don't focus on dexterity as it's not their bread and butter; they all could be more dextrous, but they have no need to hone those skills, and play to their more obvious assets.

Home of Barca Fans