Sign a replacement for Villa?

January Signing?

• Total voters

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Okay, Pep has been all classy regarding this matter... so has Zubi been too :worthy:

If it were upto you, what would you advocate?

I have always been a member of 'Sign A Classic CF To Compliment Our Tiny Attackers' bandwagon. So do you guys think that this is kind of a right time to do it?

Or sign a like to like replacement for Villa may be?

Or just remain as classy as our hierarchy has been till now? Which is next to impossible :troll:
In a way, this is like a blessing in disguise for our blooming youngsters like Cuenca and Rafinha. So would you advice to just leave the squad as is?

Last edited:
X

xaviniesta

facepalm.jpg

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
No seriously... I'd like to know how the majority would feel about it. Cast your vote no

DucdeOrléans

Just to make this thread a little bit more serious (the question is pretty actual right now)

I wrote this in the Villa thread.

"Well I know that but don't you feel that Messi, Sánchez (who is not exactly immune to injuries), Pedro and the youngster Cuenca is too few options?

Yes, Césc can play as the false 9 but that position is mostly occupied by Messi. Not to mention Césc tendency to injuries as well.

I fell we need a a short-term replacement for Villa (whoever that will be) in order to increase our chance of winning all competitions and compete until the end of the season without giving the attack too much of a responsibility.

I would also hate to see Iniesta as a winger again which I fear will happen now. (from time to time of course)

But well, Pep knows best so let us see what he and the staff decide."

Conclusion: It will be next to impossible to find an long-term replacement this January. There a few short-term candidates available but I doubt that they have the qualitiy/can adjust to our team that quickly in order to make an instant impact).

I can only see Eto'o do that but him coming back is highly unlikely, unfortunately.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I think it's an enormous loss...There aren't many strikers on the planet the quality of David Villa...The kind of player that can unlock a match with one stroke - like in the Supercopa at the Bobby Brown...Fantastic threat who slots so easily into the scoring rhythm of this imperious side...The truth is, not many players can play for this club up top...not easily anyway...I'm not sure, even under ideal circumstances, anyone could come in and replace what Villa can offer

But, a goalscorer will be needed I think...This team became even more midfield dominant - lots of players who love to tiki taka but few who love to get it into the net...Cesc could be that sort of player but even now he's merely picking up the slack Pedro has left...Cuenca is promising but even wasn't perceived to be a goalscorer...Need a pacy scorer who can offer something different in the formation or at least someone with a nose for goal...In an ideal attack, all 3 prongs of the trident would be scoring goals...That pressure on Leo just multiplied...So I think something is needed

Is Soriano that player?...I know he bagged plenty last season, looked promising this preseason but how much can he really provide in terms of goals?...I find Soriano more of a hard worker than a natural goalscorer per se...But who is out there that could slot in relatively smoothly?...It's a hit, a big hit...Any more injuries to that front line and Pique will have to play up top...And Orleans is right, no one wants to see Iniesta in that left wing role again

A Kanoute type of player would be great, I wanted this in the summer...Just not sure, I think a reinforcement is needed

poltergeist

No need to sign a replacement. He's no longer an automatic starter these days. Sanchez has been starting ahead of him of late.

We've got options aplenty: Cuenca, Pedro, the aforementioned Sanchez. We can also utilise Adriano there. When Messi isn't playing as a false 9, he can play there and also Iniesta(not his favourite position though and one I hate to see him play).

Point is we can very much cope with Villa's injury.

Home of Barca Fans