Sign a replacement for Villa?

January Signing?

• Total voters

DucdeOrléans

I think it's an enormous loss...There aren't many strikers on the planet the quality of David Villa...The kind of player that can unlock a match with one stroke - like in the Supercopa at the Bobby Brown...Fantastic threat who slots so easily into the scoring rhythm of this imperious side...The truth is, not many players can play for this club up top...not easily anyway...I'm not sure, even under ideal circumstances, anyone could come in and replace what Villa can offer

But, a goalscorer will be needed I think...This team became even more midfield dominant - lots of players who love to tiki taka but few who love to get it into the net...Cesc could be that sort of player but even now he's merely picking up the slack Pedro has left...Cuenca is promising but even wasn't perceived to be a goalscorer...Need a pacy scorer who can offer something different in the formation or at least someone with a nose for goal...In an ideal attack, all 3 prongs of the trident would be scoring goals...That pressure on Leo just multiplied...So I think something is needed

Is Soriano that player?...I know he bagged plenty last season, looked promising this preseason but how much can he really provide in terms of goals?...I find Soriano more of a hard worker than a natural goalscorer per se...But who is out there that could slot in relatively smoothly?...It's a hit, a big hit...Any more injuries to that front line and Pique will have to play up top...And Orleans is right, no one wants to see Iniesta in that left wing role again

A Kanoute type of player would be great, I wanted this in the summer...Just not sure, I think a reinforcement is needed

I agree FCBarca:

I think we both discussed Kanouté in the chat during the match. He could be a decent option. Still has the ability (although he is not the world beater he once was for Sevilla), has the experience and age, knows the language and league, apparently a good character, can play in the CL, would offer us another option in the attack, would come cheap etc.)

Chainsaw

Killahead
Diego Perotti of Sevilla, Jovetic of Fiorentina, Iturbe of Porto, Quagliarella of Juve, Gaitan of Benfica... Some names that come to my mind right now.

Clockwise

Buccaneer
No need to sign a replacement. He's no longer an automatic starter these days. Sanchez has been starting ahead of him of late.

We've got options aplenty: Cuenca, Pedro, the aforementioned Sanchez. We can also utilise Adriano there. When Messi isn't playing as a false 9, he can play there and also Iniesta(not his favourite position though and one I hate to see him play).

Point is we can very much cope with Villa's injury.

It is a very big blow. not a regular starter? Pep has come up with 26 different line ups this season and non of them has been the same. we can not certainly say who is a starter for sure or who is not (bar Messi). in these conditions, just because he has not started some matches doesn't lead to him falling of the pecking order. It's obvious that he has not been up to his standards recently but that could be very related to him carrying an injury and with all these said he still has very good stats: 5 league goals in only 8 starts and 3 CL goals in only 4 starts.
He would give us at least four more formations options up front and made our front line very flexible as he could play every where and change places with any of our forwards.Also he was going to pick up his form some time in the season and he never disappoints for big games. so yes It is a big blow.

But I think we can manage it without signing anyone. We have Messi, Pedro, Alexis, Cesc, Cuenca (he may not have shown himself as a natural goal scorer but he is a very good provider.which is very needed). Pep has played Adriano and even alves on the wings. and Affelay will be with us by the end of February. And then there's even Thiago. FCBarca pointed to Soriano and he is a good scorer, He wasn't the Segunda's top scorer for nothing. then there's cantera that we can rely on.specially in Copa and against weak teams.

Our forwards need to step it up. Also we need to create more chances and we can not waste them. Every player should take the chances they get. we've had 17 different goalscorers by now. it points to our forwards lack of domination but it is also good that every one is participating in getting team forward.

Andres Iniesta

Ok Gaitan is a very good player but i dont think he`s the player we need. Jovetic would be nice and i agree with u guys we need (an)other player that could score easily. :D

jamrock

Can't be mentioning players like jovetic and gaitan, they would be long term signs, effectively replacing villa and making the potential signing of neymar redundant, if we do sign someone it will be a short term loan and who fits into pep's system so no kanoute, or we will just go big and fork over 45 for neymar.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
All they have to do is sign Neymar for a symbolic price, say, 67 pence and a packet of cheese and onion crisps, and Santos will see that as a great symbolic gesture and sell you Neymar!

DucdeOrléans

All they have to do is sign Neymar for a symbolic price, say, 67 pence and a packet of cheese and onion crisps, and Santos will see that as a great symbolic gesture and sell you Neymar!

That's a great attempt of trolling if it was truth but it is not.

I still think you have a question or two to answer in the Neymar thread or did you escape after being exposed yet again?

Home of Barca Fans