Copa Libertadores

M.L. King

The Preacher
Copa_Santander_Libertadores.jpg

I thought it would be nice to have a thread with South American version of the Champions League.

liga2008.jpg

Copa Libertadores is similar to European type of Champions Leauge.

But there is one difference between those two competitions. PASSION. Passion in South America which you will never witness here in Europe. Players give their maximum, playing 10 or 90 minutes. Fans singing, chanting, crying, cheering, supporting, etc. for their team throughout the whole match. It's really incredible scene to see.

I know one may say for instance, "Well, there is the same amount of passion in England". Yes there is passion in England but it can in no way be compared to the one in South America. And not just in countries like Brazil, Argentina or Paraguay. Even smaller ones, Peru, Ecuador, Uruguay, Venezuela, etc.

I would say that Europeans feel passion but South Americans feel The Passion.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Whats formations do teams use in SA generally? Anyone playing with a standard sweeper?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanx for the info. Sweeper was very popular in Argentina, years ago, so I was just wondering. .

M.L. King

The Preacher
I'll write a very extensive article about Copa Libertadores 2009. I'm scooping up the material. This year I'll pay special attention to this competition. Each year there is more and more heed payed to this South American spectacle. Teams are more and more equal and the football itself is played on a very competitive level which is the only thing important for spectators.

M.L. King

The Preacher
Copa Libertadores 2009

20080515_copasantanderlibertadores.jpg

So once again this time of year has come you crazy football lovers. Copa Libertadores, Copa Santander Libertadores or Taça Libertadores da América in Portugesse if you want. It's all the same. Crazy football festival that will give it's own new or old champion.

The competition as such begins with Preliminary round. Twelve teams will be seeking their place in two-legged round. The six team that will prevail on the aggregate score will advance to the group stage.

A total of 26 teams have already qualified directly by winning their national championship or at least finnishing the season among top teams. The promotion as such differs with each championship.

photoblogCopaLibertadores.jpg

Teams participating in Preliminary round:

Indenpendiente Meddelin Vs. Penarol
Sporting Cristal Vs. Estudiantes
El Nacional Vs. Nacional
Deportivo Anzoategui Vs. Deportivo Cuenca
Palmeiras Vs. Real Potosi
Universidad de Chile Vs. Pachuca
Already qualified teams:

Group 1:
Liga Deportiva de Quito (ECU)
Colo-Colo
Sport Recife (BRA)
Ganador 5 (Brasil 5-Bolivia 3)

Group 2:
Boca Juniors
Guarani

Deportivo Táchira (VEN)
Ganador 4 (Ecuador 3-Deportivo Anzoategui)

Group 3:
River Plate
Nacional (URU)
U. San Martin
Ganador 3 (Ecuador 4-Paraguay 3)

Group 4:
Sao Paolo
Defensor Sporting (URU)

America de Cali
Ganador 1 (Colombia 3-Peñarol)

Group 5:
Cruzeiro
Universidad de Sucre (BOL)
Deportivo Quito
Ganador 2 (Argentina 5-Vacante 3)

Group 6:
Lanús
Everton (CHI)
Caracas FC (VEN)

Guadalajara

Group 7:
Gremio
Aurora (BOL)
Boyacá Chicó (COL)
Ganador 6 (Mexico 3-Universidad de Chile)

Group 8:
San Lorenzo
Libertad (PAR)
Universitario
San Luis de Potosí (MEX)

Last year's winners:

LDU Quito

LDU_Quito_logo.png

The draw took place: November 25
2008 Preliminary Round: January 27 & February 4,
2009 Group Stage: February 11, 18, & 25; March 4, 11, 18, & 25; April 8, 15, 22, & 29
Round of 16: May 6 & 13
Quarter-finals: May 20 & 27
Semi-finals: June 17 & 24
Final: July 1 & 8
Teams qualified:

[FONT=&quot]
Argentina:
Lanús, River PlateBolivia: Universitario de Sucre
Brasil: Sport Recife
Chile: Everton, Universidad de Chile
Colombia: Boyacá Chicó
Ecuador: Liga Deportiva Universitaria de Quito(CAMPEÓN)
Paraguay: Libertad
Perú: Universitario
Uruguay: Defensor Sporting, Nacional y Peñarol
[/FONT]
Venezuela: Caracas FC, Deportivo Táchira y Deportivo Anzoátegui

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Copa Libertadores 2009

20080515_copasantanderlibertadores.jpg

So once again this time of year has come you crazy football lovers. Copa Libertadores, Copa Santander Libertadores or Taça Libertadores da América in Portugesse if you want. It's all the same. Crazy football festival that will give it's own new or old champion.

The competition as such begins with Preliminary round. Twelve teams will be seeking their place in two-legged round. The six team that will prevail on the aggregate score will advance to the group stage.

A total of 26 teams have already qualified directly by winning their national championship or at least finnishing the season among top teams. The promotion as such differs with each championship.

photoblogCopaLibertadores.jpg

Teams participating in Preliminary round:

Already qualified teams:

Last year's winners:

LDU Quito

LDU_Quito_logo.png

Teams qualified:

I know that some Brazilian teams didn`t take this competition seriously few years back.
What do you think Mirko, who are the favourites?

M.L. King

The Preacher
Well it is reasonable to expect Boca Juniors to be the favorites. There are also other teams like Sao Paolo, LDU Quito although I think they aren't as strong as they were last year as they sold the core of their team. Sport Recife is my favorite team and I hope they manage to beat the odds and go very far in the competition. You always have to count with teams like Cruzeiro, Gremio and River Plate.

It will be interesting to see which teams manage to qualify from the preliminary round. If Penarol qualifies, I'd count them as one of the favorites.

Last edited:

M.L. King

The Preacher
Two days ago the preliminary round of Copa Libertadores began:

Surprisingly high loss by Penarol.

Indenpendiente Meddelin Vs. Penarol 4-0
El Nacional Vs. Nacional 0-5
Universidad de Chile Vs. Pachuca 1-0

These two games will be played tonight (especially the second one will be really interesting):
Sporting Cristal Vs. Estudiantes
Palmeiras Vs. Real Potosi

This game is scheduled for tomorrow:
Deportivo Anzoategui Vs. Deportivo Cuenca

Real Potosi's sign:
295.gif

Home of Barca Fans