Maradona or Messi

Maradona or Messi

• Total voters

jamrock

Ronaldinho

Maradona is the single most gifted player in the attacking 3rd of the field I have seen yet

impeh

Hi, its me..
Not old enough to have seen Maradona :(

..although i do prefer ronaldinho -in his prime- to anyone i have seen, he may not have had the 50-a-season goals but for a couple of years he was magical.

dalitis8

Banned
as woobie said, the argument it self is pretty pointless. of course Messi is better but the football has changed alot, training facilities have become better, trainers know better etcetc.

we can however both agree on the fact that the players were the best of their generations at their peaks.

For me the biggest difference between the 80s and today, is the fact that the game today is much more global. During the Maradonna era, teams had 2 or 3 foreigners, and the rest were natives. That simply meant that football in general was probably (surely I would claim) inferior in those days.

Nowadays, clubs can pick and choose players from all over the world, to suit their needs, and tailored-made for each and every position (pacy full-backs from Brazil, athletic Africans for the DM position, a talented Latino for the AM position, and so on and so forth) During the 80s, the top national sides would be of a higher quality than the top clubs, today it is the exact opposite.

So this fact for me, tilts the argument decidedly to Leo's favor...

X

xaviniesta

and i scored a header yesterday, i'm more complete playa than those 2 will eva be !!!!

M

mitkoa7x

I net like 450 goals per season in Fifa, he scored 53... phony

lol i just looked it up, i have 435 goals for the last 2 seasons :angry:

Last edited:

Richard.H

For now I have to go with Maradona. Maradona's passing alone was something that I could never witness again in my lifetime. His passes were so creative and perfectly weighted that I have no clue how a single human being can have that much skill.

Messi is close behind though. I'd love to see Messi improve on the international front and then I could doubt my answer and maybe say that he could push for the top spot.

barca7788

Nepali Cule
only if maradona wouldnt have cheated against england and messi would have choosen spain as his NT, there wouldnt have been any debate at all...

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
What makes Maradona even more legendary is the fact that he was a drug addict. No, I'm not saying it's cool he took drugs, but the fact he was the best player in the world, and one of the 2-3 best in history while being an addict puts him at the top of the pile for me and nobody will ever knock him off.

dmaradona_indo_396415t.jpg

Legend.

You can suck it and keep sucking it!!

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
The one thing that really makes me stop before saying Messi is better than Maradona isn't the WC or his passing or all that crap.

Its the fact that he took a team that was fighting relegation, and singlehandedly led them to an Italian double. I never saw it myself but from what I've heard Maradona really put the team on his back and led them to those titles, it was all Diego. It wasn't a fluke either as he led them to another serie a title and two 2nd place finishes, as well as a European title. That man must've been some kind of beast, I wish I would've been able to witness those achievements.

I still can't imagine anyone playing consistently at such an insane level as Messi does week in week out, but boy Maradona sure set the bar pretty high...

Home of Barca Fans