Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Imagine England playing...

Rooney-Sturridge
Jones
King-Lescott-Smalling
Cashley-Terry-Ferdinand-Richards
Hart
4 defenders, 3 defensive midfielders, 1 central midfielder (defensive) and 2 strikers :worthy:

Playing by their strengths (literally)

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Yeah, and Terry could replace Hart, Anton Ferdinand could then take Terrys place in the defense. Wayne Bridge could fill in for Cashley if needed.

Heath Newton

fact that Carrick is being overlooked for England, especially in Wilshere's absence, is just so depressing.

frankly I wanna see what Jack & Carrick can do as a partnership. that could be the way forward for England.
couldn't agree more. carrick's been our best/most consistent player this season.

Why is Carrick not playing depressing?
because,

it's depressing because despite the fact that he's been absolutely pantsed by us twice in CL Finals, he's the best English CM along with Wilshere by quite a distance. they are players who actually get the ball down and play which is exactly what the side needs to be doing. and I dunno what you mean by only flashes of brilliance - Carrick has been one of the steady beats of this United side since he joined. he's a slow starter but come Spring he's always rolling, except in 09/10 when he was poor for pretty much the whole season on account of being traumatised by Rome (when Fergie left him isolated against Messi, Xavi, Iniesta & Busquets the poor bastard).

"done fuck all" - have you watched them beyond the CL Finals? coz you wouldn't say that otherwise. true he hasn't regularly dominated games like he has the ability to do, like Xabi and Pirlo (as players of similar style) have done for years, but 1. he's not that good and 2. that's almost besides the point here because what England need is someone who does exactly what he does. sweep, intercept, and then play it forward. move it on. use possession intelligently so that the team can build a good rhythm.

really wanna see him and Jackie Boy link up for England. sure, England won't win anything in the near future but with those two in CM they'd at least play decent football & not totally embarrass everyone. may even make the semi's or Final if the draw is kind! and that kind of "success" would pave the way for more players to want to be like Jack & Carrick, which could pay enormous dividends in the future. I mean fucks sake, Raed, right now kids in England are being told that Scott Parker is a footballer to admire. I mean fucks sake!

and it's even more depressing because when he doesn't play, Gareth Barry does.
of all the above

Carick is a very good player, I would select him for England immediately. Problem is that he has been shy to explode on the scene and reach his potential. I don't know why, but it is that way.

I am not saying that Michael isn't a better option, excuse me, a much much better option than Parker or Milner, but if Michael isn't going to step his game up then he needs a teaching, a lesson of some sort. He is a very good player for Man U, a team that has been either lethargic or clinical, and Michael Carrick had the opportunity to make that team his, but Giggs at 37 (or is it 47 now?) hasn't slowed down, Michael has.

Scott Parker, Milner for players with far less ability, apply themselves, or portray the image they do. Carrick is timid, a quite boy who goes on about his work silently and quietly. So when he is off form, he disappears. Maybe wilshere is the answer, because for once, England might have a host of talent that is variant in age and no superstar.

But yes, Scott Parker is shit. Carrick offers England an answer, but so long as he speaks.
playing in the 09 ec final when he was injured set him back a LONG way in ferguson's eyes. he took far too long to (a) get his form back and (b) be trusted by ferguson again - no fault of his own that one.
plus, spending portions of last season in the back four won't have helped in that regard either, again no fault of his own.

i'm glad he's back and a permanent* fixture though.

*fergie's tombola aside

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Michael Carrick the 3rd most complete central midfielder in the world. Still eh?! :lol:

Carrick is an average player.

England should play 4-3-3 with Gerrard as the AM and Milner and Wilshere as the CM's. As Wilshere is not fit then I would play Rodwell.

----------------------Hart------------------

---Johnson-----Jones----Lescott------Baines---

------------Milner-------Wilshere-------------

-------------------Gerrard--------------------

---------Sturridge--Rooney------Young--------

Milner has impressed me this season for City. His work rate, work ethic and energy plus his dynamism in the middle is a perfect match for the craft, skill, passing and vision of Wilshere.

Although I do see Rodwell and Wilshere as the future central midfield - but Rodwell needs to leave Everton asap so he can develop better and a better club.

Last edited:

Yaotzin

20120301110016-1a4d762c.gif

World. Class.

2ntbdph.gif

Like two peas in a pod.

The beatification of Parker sums up so much that is wrong with English football culture.

Also always reminds me of Xabi Alonso's quote
Xabi Alonso said:
I don't think tackling is a quality," he says. "It is a recurso, something you have to resort to, not a characteristic of your game. At Liverpool I used to read the matchday programme and you'd read an interview with a lad from the youth team. They'd ask: age, heroes, strong points, etc. He'd reply: 'Shooting and tackling'. I can't get into my head that football development would educate tackling as a quality, something to learn, to teach, a characteristic of your play. How can that be a way of seeing the game? I just don't understand football in those terms. Tackling is a [last] resort, and you will need it, but it isn't a quality to aspire to, a definition. It's hard to change because it's so rooted in the English football culture, but I don't understand it.

X

xaviniesta

I don't think tackling is a quality," he says. "It is a recurso, something you have to resort to, not a characteristic of your game. At Liverpool I used to read the matchday programme and you'd read an interview with a lad from the youth team. They'd ask: age, heroes, strong points, etc. He'd reply: 'Shooting and tackling'. I can't get into my head that football development would educate tackling as a quality, something to learn, to teach, a characteristic of your play. How can that be a way of seeing the game? I just don't understand football in those terms. Tackling is a [last] resort, and you will need it, but it isn't a quality to aspire to, a definition. It's hard to change because it's so rooted in the English football culture, but I don't understand it.

i've read it too before somewhere. was it the guardian?

anways:
don-worthy.gif

PF will never get it. just all hearth and no brain.

Jenks

Milner is an accident waiting to happen in the England midfield. He doesn't have the experience there, he doesn't have the positioning. He can pass and run about a lot, but that's about it. You could say the same for Parker to an extent, but he's still a much better partner for him. Carrick is better than both on current form, but who knows how long that will last? It's a shame Frimpong has his heart set on Ghana, he could have been a great defensive option.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Milner is an accident waiting to happen in the England midfield. He doesn't have the experience there, he doesn't have the positioning. He can pass and run about a lot, but that's about it. You could say the same for Parker to an extent, but he's still a much better partner for him. Carrick is better than both on current form, but who knows how long that will last? It's a shame Frimpong has his heart set on Ghana, he could have been a great defensive option.

Though, Milner was England best player in the WC.

Jenks

Was he? I can't say I agree with that. I think Gerrard was probably our best performer when you consider his impact and the daft positions he was asked to play.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Though, Milner was England best player in the WC.

playing wide, though.

which is the only place he should be playing, because he has all the qualities needed to be a solid-if-unspectacular winger (although his reverse pass for the City winner against Villarreal as hugely spectacular).

couldn't agree more. carrick's been our best/most consistent player this season.

playing in the 09 ec final when he was injured set him back a LONG way in ferguson's eyes. he took far too long to (a) get his form back and (b) be trusted by ferguson again - no fault of his own that one.
plus, spending portions of last season in the back four won't have helped in that regard either, again no fault of his own.

i'm glad he's back and a permanent* fixture though.

*fergie's tombola aside

holy fucknuts, it's Heath!!

my man! how have you been?

Home of Barca Fans