What Makes A Great Captain?

Aasim

Bumbleman
I have recently been made captain of my football team and just wanted some advice/pointers on what you guys think a captain does and what makes him a great one.

I’ve always been more of a quiet player who gets on with business. I play DM so it’s a position where I need to give full concentration but trying to manage other players is something I’m finding difficult. I'm young for a captain (21) and it's weird being in a situation where i'm trying to inspire players with more experience than me.

I’ve asked for advice from my coaches and they have pretty much told me to keep doing what I normally do without the armband, but I know that’s not enough.

So what are the tasks of captain? And what makes a great one, great?

(I know there is no poll, but I had no clue where to put this thread…If mods want to move it, go ahead)

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
If you're not the Puyol/Keane type, be yourself. You could read the 'classy captain' manual, I guess...

Classy Captain Manual:
1. Be cool
2. Be calm
3. Be composed
4. Be consistent (in how you behave)
5. Be inspiring
6. Be a role-model
7. Never give up
8. Show mental strength
9. Be open to people, let them talk to you, give advice if needed
10. Be positive
11. Play well
12. Keep spirits up
13. Be awesome
14. Be professional
15. Show respect
16. Grow Maldini-esque hair
17. Always give it your all (blood, sweat and tears)

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
I have recently been made captain of my football team and just wanted some advice/pointers on what you guys think a captain does and what makes him a great one.

I’ve always been more of a quiet player who gets on with business. I play DM so it’s a position where I need to give full concentration but trying to manage other players is something I’m finding difficult. I'm young for a captain (21) and it's weird being in a situation where i'm trying to inspire players with more experience than me.

I’ve asked for advice from my coaches and they have pretty much told me to keep doing what I normally do without the armband, but I know that’s not enough.

So what are the tasks of captain? And what makes a great one, great?

(I know there is no poll, but I had no clue where to put this thread…If mods want to move it, go ahead)
i will tell u wat makes a great captain.......a person who isnt afraid of bees

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
bombayblue™;673396 said:
'For Terry, you’d need to kill him and, maybe even then, he’d still play.’ - Scolari

All we need to do is ask him to take a penalty

zanela

If you've been identified for a leader's role, means your work hasn't gone unnoticed and they obviously deem you fit for responsibilities that come with it. To be picked above the more experienced/older folks is compliment to your abilities. Though i understand your apprehension, your approach should be of optimism and be welcoming of additional/newer responsibilties, the bigger the better. It not only elevates you status, but presents itself with situations that brings to the fore character/qualities that you normally thought didn't exist, promote self-development, and doubles the potential for greatness. It can be an enriching journey.

A leader leads by example. He does so through his own work. Excellence commands respect and admiration (regardless of individual differences). If you can sustain the highest level and remain steadfast to the purpose at hand, you'll be a source of inspiration for those around you.

Having said that, I don't think you can really prepare a leader in theory. Leaders are born in the face of adversity, hardships and such defining moments. I believe we all 've similar potential, only we decide what and how much to take from it, while seizing opportunities along the way. All of which 'll go on to dictate our eventual greatness.

Not sure how much of the above has helped. But I wish you the very best, Captain Aasim. ;)

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
If you've been identified for a leader's role, means your work hasn't gone unnoticed and they obviously deem you fit for responsibilities that come with it. To be picked above the more experienced/older folks is compliment to your abilities. Though i understand your apprehension, your approach should be of optimism and be welcoming of additional/newer responsibilties, the bigger the better. It not only elevates you status, but presents itself with situations that brings to the fore character/qualities that you normally thought didn't exist, promote self-development, and doubles the potential for greatness. It can be an enriching journey.

A leader leads by example. He does so through his own work. Excellence commands respect and admiration (regardless of individual differences). If you can sustain the highest level and remain steadfast to the purpose at hand, you'll be a source of inspiration for those around you.

Having said that, I don't think you can really prepare a leader in theory. Leaders are born in the face of adversity, hardships and such defining moments. I believe we all 've similar potential, only we decide what and how much to take from it, while seizing opportunities along the way. All of which 'll go on to dictate our eventual greatness.

Not sure how much of the above has helped. But I wish you the very best, Captain Aasim. ;)

Hey you just described the exact me!! :p

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Inspire, Motivate, Empathy, Leadership, Balls.

5 things that a great captain has.

1) Inspire. Has the ability to inspire his team mates through either his own skill and ability to create something on the football field or can inspire his team mates who have that ability to do it.

2) Motivate. Has the ability to motivate his teammates in various circumstances, like if you are behind in a game and through your words you can have an affect on your team mates. Or in troubling circumstances he can motivate his team to come back and try harder. Also can motivate when your team is in a winning position so that they don't be complacent and don't take things for granted.

3) Empathy. You can identify with your team mates, irrespective of their football skills. You have the ability to identify their feelings towards football matters and can understand others attitudes towards different things.

4) Leadership. When times are tough you can come out fighting and lead your team so that they give everything for you with no regrets about what could have been if we had done this and that, because you gave your all. You can lead your team from the front and you are the first one to defend them when they need defending. You are the first one to act as an example for others to follow and you can show humbleness towards others.

5) Balls. You have the balls to do things your way. Whether other people think you are right or wrong you stick with your decisions no matter what and you have the balls to stand up for yourself and your team mates when others are criticising them.

Home of Barca Fans