What Makes A Great Captain?

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
bombayblue™;673396 said:
'For Terry, you’d need to kill him and, maybe even then, he’d still play.’ - Scolari

For Terry also screws your team mate's wife. Yes true captain material.

ZeeMessi

I think posts by zanela and Anfield were insightful and there wouldn't be too much more to add. I think trying to inspire your teammates as a captain and come both as a direct and indirect method. If you're the quiter type of guy, indirectly inspring them would be via example, putting your body on the line, making those hard tackles, running yourself into the ground. Although in saying that you do need to be a vocal presence on the pitch at least in some capacity as I think a fine captain is one that the teammates feel a little taller when the captain is around. But to achieve that - you need the respect of your teammates first.

Either way - best of luck mate. It's very rewarding the role and you may start out quiet but can certainly grow into it, maybe even the next Keane ey !

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
The best captains that I have seen in the last 20 years have been Baresi, Maldini, Hierro, Dunga, Keane, Deschamps and Matthaus.

The greatest captain ever is probably Beckenbaur or Moore.

Galning

Be like this guy:

n_f_c_barcelona_carles_puyol-4924.jpg

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Captain Jack Sparrow?

Congrats on becoming captain Aasim, you're definitely doing something right. The easiest thing to do in the role is be vocal, always encourage your team mates (obviously without sounding like a dick). That's the best starting point, other than that, lead by example and be yourself. Good luck!

Aasim

Bumbleman
Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it..

If you're not the Puyol/Keane type, be yourself. You could read the 'classy captain' manual, I guess...

Classy Captain Manual:
1. Be cool
2. Be calm
3. Be composed
4. Be consistent (in how you behave)
5. Be inspiring
6. Be a role-model
7. Never give up
8. Show mental strength
9. Be open to people, let them talk to you, give advice if needed
10. Be positive
11. Play well
12. Keep spirits up
13. Be awesome
14. Be professional
15. Show respect
16. Grow Maldini-esque hair
17. Always give it your all (blood, sweat and tears)

Nice manual. I suppose i do all of these things but being in England, the capital for passion and showing emotion etc, i get a feeling that my fellow players find it weird to have a captain who is more extroverted like me.

If you've been identified for a leader's role, means your work hasn't gone unnoticed and they obviously deem you fit for responsibilities that come with it. To be picked above the more experienced/older folks is compliment to your abilities. Though i understand your apprehension, your approach should be of optimism and be welcoming of additional/newer responsibilties, the bigger the better. It not only elevates you status, but presents itself with situations that brings to the fore character/qualities that you normally thought didn't exist, promote self-development, and doubles the potential for greatness. It can be an enriching journey.

A leader leads by example. He does so through his own work. Excellence commands respect and admiration (regardless of individual differences). If you can sustain the highest level and remain steadfast to the purpose at hand, you'll be a source of inspiration for those around you.

Having said that, I don't think you can really prepare a leader in theory. Leaders are born in the face of adversity, hardships and such defining moments. I believe we all 've similar potential, only we decide what and how much to take from it, while seizing opportunities along the way. All of which 'll go on to dictate our eventual greatness.

Not sure how much of the above has helped. But I wish you the very best, Captain Aasim. ;)

Thanks Zan! Really helpful. There is a reason why I was appointed and not one of the older lot. I guess it’s time to seize this opportunity. I have been doing things which I didn’t think I could do so maybe that will continue..

Inspire, Motivate, Empathy, Leadership, Balls.

5 things that a great captain has.

1) Inspire. Has the ability to inspire his team mates through either his own skill and ability to create something on the football field or can inspire his team mates who have that ability to do it.

2) Motivate. Has the ability to motivate his teammates in various circumstances, like if you are behind in a game and through your words you can have an affect on your team mates. Or in troubling circumstances he can motivate his team to come back and try harder. Also can motivate when your team is in a winning position so that they don't be complacent and don't take things for granted.

3) Empathy. You can identify with your team mates, irrespective of their football skills. You have the ability to identify their feelings towards football matters and can understand others attitudes towards different things.

4) Leadership. When times are tough you can come out fighting and lead your team so that they give everything for you with no regrets about what could have been if we had done this and that, because you gave your all. You can lead your team from the front and you are the first one to defend them when they need defending. You are the first one to act as an example for others to follow and you can show humbleness towards others.

5) Balls. You have the balls to do things your way. Whether other people think you are right or wrong you stick with your decisions no matter what and you have the balls to stand up for yourself and your team mates when others are criticising them.

Ed, the only issue with me is probably number 2. I’m not the type to inspire through words, although I’m beginning to. I’m only going to inspire through performance and driving the team on that way.

The best captains that I have seen in the last 20 years have been Baresi, Maldini, Hierro, Dunga, Keane, Deschamps and Matthaus.

The greatest captain ever is probably Beckenbaur or Moore.

How dare you leave Puyol out of this list!

Captain Jack Sparrow?

Congrats on becoming captain Aasim, you're definitely doing something right. The easiest thing to do in the role is be vocal, always encourage your team mates (obviously without sounding like a dick). That's the best starting point, other than that, lead by example and be yourself. Good luck!

Captain America ;)

And to everyone else:

I’ll get right onto that Maldini documentary.
Yusuf, they don’t know about the bee and my team isn’t doomed just yet. Give it a few months.
Carlos Tevez will not be included in this discussion.
Nice quote Aroop. Terry really doesn't get deserved recognition for the great captain he is.
I can’t grow my hair like Puyols or Maldini’s. My hair is crap. It just gets all bushy.
Puyol is the benchmark but I still need to reach Titus Bramble's leadership levels… one step at a time guys..

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
but seriously they gave u captain for a reason so continue about how you were doing stuff and maybe go a little further....u dont want to be the solid guy who was made captain and then started giving orders and shit.

Home of Barca Fans