User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: What Makes A Great Captain?

  1. #1
    Bumbleman
    Aasim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What Makes A Great Captain?

    I have recently been made captain of my football team and just wanted some advice/pointers on what you guys think a captain does and what makes him a great one.

    I’ve always been more of a quiet player who gets on with business. I play DM so it’s a position where I need to give full concentration but trying to manage other players is something I’m finding difficult. I'm young for a captain (21) and it's weird being in a situation where i'm trying to inspire players with more experience than me.

    I’ve asked for advice from my coaches and they have pretty much told me to keep doing what I normally do without the armband, but I know that’s not enough.

    So what are the tasks of captain? And what makes a great one, great?




    (I know there is no poll, but I had no clue where to put this thread…If mods want to move it, go ahead)

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    MoFroBo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Eastern Europe
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch some Paolo Maldini documentary.

  3. #3
    Yusuf Islam
    yusuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,904
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG your team is doomed aasim
    general gooners

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysical View Post
    and FINALLY

    there's a whole generation of whingy little metrosexual myspace kids (or, former whingy little metrosexual myspace kids) who came of age when arsene's team were in their pomp around the turn of the century. these new breed of gooners are as myopic as their manager and come out with ridiculous statements like "we don't need ashley cole, clichy is better~!!!" and have a crazy inflated view of their own players and abilities. nuts is a great example.

  4. #4
    Scandinavian 101
    Deco 20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,551
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not the Puyol/Keane type, be yourself. You could read the 'classy captain' manual, I guess...

    Classy Captain Manual:
    1. Be cool
    2. Be calm
    3. Be composed
    4. Be consistent (in how you behave)
    5. Be inspiring
    6. Be a role-model
    7. Never give up
    8. Show mental strength
    9. Be open to people, let them talk to you, give advice if needed
    10. Be positive
    11. Play well
    12. Keep spirits up
    13. Be awesome
    14. Be professional
    15. Show respect
    16. Grow Maldini-esque hair
    17. Always give it your all (blood, sweat and tears)

  5. #5
    Legion of Doooom
    La Furia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In Exile
    Posts
    5,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Act like Carlos Tevez, that usually works.

  6. #6
    Scandinavian 101
    Deco 20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,551
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by La Furia View Post
    Act like Carlos Tevez, that usually works.

  7. #7
    Tito > Mou
    Bilal Khan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario.
    Posts
    666
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by La Furia View Post
    Act like Carlos Tevez, that usually works.


    close thread!

  8. #8
    Yusuf Islam
    yusuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,904
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aasim View Post
    I have recently been made captain of my football team and just wanted some advice/pointers on what you guys think a captain does and what makes him a great one.

    I’ve always been more of a quiet player who gets on with business. I play DM so it’s a position where I need to give full concentration but trying to manage other players is something I’m finding difficult. I'm young for a captain (21) and it's weird being in a situation where i'm trying to inspire players with more experience than me.

    I’ve asked for advice from my coaches and they have pretty much told me to keep doing what I normally do without the armband, but I know that’s not enough.

    So what are the tasks of captain? And what makes a great one, great?




    (I know there is no poll, but I had no clue where to put this thread…If mods want to move it, go ahead)
    i will tell u wat makes a great captain.......a person who isnt afraid of bees
    general gooners

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysical View Post
    and FINALLY

    there's a whole generation of whingy little metrosexual myspace kids (or, former whingy little metrosexual myspace kids) who came of age when arsene's team were in their pomp around the turn of the century. these new breed of gooners are as myopic as their manager and come out with ridiculous statements like "we don't need ashley cole, clichy is better~!!!" and have a crazy inflated view of their own players and abilities. nuts is a great example.

  9. #9
    Improvin' Perfection!!
    Aryagorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,971
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow me... I'm a leader, mass leader
    Last edited by Aryagorn; 18th October 2011 at 08:12 AM.

  10. #10
    Fourteen and Hutch..
    bombayblue™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    God's own Country
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'For Terry, you’d need to kill him and, maybe even then, he’d still play.’ - Scolari
    ~ Amunt Valencia ~

  11. #11
    Improvin' Perfection!!
    Aryagorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,971
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bombayblue™ View Post
    'For Terry, you’d need to kill him and, maybe even then, he’d still play.’ - Scolari
    All we need to do is ask him to take a penalty

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    zanela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've been identified for a leader's role, means your work hasn't gone unnoticed and they obviously deem you fit for responsibilities that come with it. To be picked above the more experienced/older folks is compliment to your abilities. Though i understand your apprehension, your approach should be of optimism and be welcoming of additional/newer responsibilties, the bigger the better. It not only elevates you status, but presents itself with situations that brings to the fore character/qualities that you normally thought didn't exist, promote self-development, and doubles the potential for greatness. It can be an enriching journey.

    A leader leads by example. He does so through his own work. Excellence commands respect and admiration (regardless of individual differences). If you can sustain the highest level and remain steadfast to the purpose at hand, you'll be a source of inspiration for those around you.

    Having said that, I don't think you can really prepare a leader in theory. Leaders are born in the face of adversity, hardships and such defining moments. I believe we all 've similar potential, only we decide what and how much to take from it, while seizing opportunities along the way. All of which 'll go on to dictate our eventual greatness.

    Not sure how much of the above has helped. But I wish you the very best, Captain Aasim.

  13. #13
    Improvin' Perfection!!
    Aryagorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,971
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zanela View Post
    If you've been identified for a leader's role, means your work hasn't gone unnoticed and they obviously deem you fit for responsibilities that come with it. To be picked above the more experienced/older folks is compliment to your abilities. Though i understand your apprehension, your approach should be of optimism and be welcoming of additional/newer responsibilties, the bigger the better. It not only elevates you status, but presents itself with situations that brings to the fore character/qualities that you normally thought didn't exist, promote self-development, and doubles the potential for greatness. It can be an enriching journey.

    A leader leads by example. He does so through his own work. Excellence commands respect and admiration (regardless of individual differences). If you can sustain the highest level and remain steadfast to the purpose at hand, you'll be a source of inspiration for those around you.

    Having said that, I don't think you can really prepare a leader in theory. Leaders are born in the face of adversity, hardships and such defining moments. I believe we all 've similar potential, only we decide what and how much to take from it, while seizing opportunities along the way. All of which 'll go on to dictate our eventual greatness.

    Not sure how much of the above has helped. But I wish you the very best, Captain Aasim.
    Hey you just described the exact me!!

  14. #14
    ze special one
    ammarfcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    top secret.
    Posts
    3,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grow your hair.



  15. #15
    I am Leg End
    AnfieldEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Parts Unkown
    Posts
    6,704
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inspire, Motivate, Empathy, Leadership, Balls.

    5 things that a great captain has.

    1) Inspire. Has the ability to inspire his team mates through either his own skill and ability to create something on the football field or can inspire his team mates who have that ability to do it.

    2) Motivate. Has the ability to motivate his teammates in various circumstances, like if you are behind in a game and through your words you can have an affect on your team mates. Or in troubling circumstances he can motivate his team to come back and try harder. Also can motivate when your team is in a winning position so that they don't be complacent and don't take things for granted.

    3) Empathy. You can identify with your team mates, irrespective of their football skills. You have the ability to identify their feelings towards football matters and can understand others attitudes towards different things.

    4) Leadership. When times are tough you can come out fighting and lead your team so that they give everything for you with no regrets about what could have been if we had done this and that, because you gave your all. You can lead your team from the front and you are the first one to defend them when they need defending. You are the first one to act as an example for others to follow and you can show humbleness towards others.

    5) Balls. You have the balls to do things your way. Whether other people think you are right or wrong you stick with your decisions no matter what and you have the balls to stand up for yourself and your team mates when others are criticising them.
    "Its not about the long ball or the short ball, its about the right ball."
    Bob Paisley.