WC Qualifiers 2018 - South America

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Chile has looked bad for a while now, I really don't have much faith in them without Asexis.

it's funny how a forward can have such an impact in defence, but without him in the final third, Chile's attacks are too quick, and usually unsuccessful as well. without him tying it all together, they struggle and so overcommit and lose their shape, making their average defence very vulnerable. shame Borghi didn't give Vargas a go. he'd have done more than Pinilla, I reckon. is Medel injured? I like Carmona, but he needs a bit more bite before he can adequately replace Medel.

they're still better to watch going forward than Argentina, though.

Sabella's Argentina are basically a beige Volvo. Messi, Higuain, and occasionally Di Maria add some magic, otherwise it's just all so very bland. so sad to see them reduced to playing on the break like Germans, or Real Madrid. Ortega, Veron and Riquelme are somewhere right now crying.

still, I guess a beige Volvo is better than a burnt out car shell or a massive piece of shit, aka Maradona's Argentina & Batista's Argentina.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
it's funny how a forward can have such an impact in defence, but without him in the final third, Chile's attacks are too quick, and usually unsuccessful as well. without him tying it all together, they struggle and so overcommit and lose their shape, making their average defence very vulnerable. shame Borghi didn't give Vargas a go. he'd have done more than Pinilla, I reckon. is Medel injured? I like Carmona, but he needs a bit more bite before he can adequately replace Medel.

they're still better to watch going forward than Argentina, though.

Sabella's Argentina are basically a beige Volvo. Messi, Higuain, and occasionally Di Maria add some magic, otherwise it's just all so very bland. so sad to see them reduced to playing on the break like Germans, or Real Madrid. Ortega, Veron and Riquelme are somewhere right now crying.

still, I guess a beige Volvo is better than a burnt out car shell or a massive piece of shit, aka Maradona's Argentina & Batista's Argentina.

Well said on both parts. I'm still not digging this Argentina, at all. I'm definitely curious to see how this holds up to some pressure though, Argentina has been the more effective team but I still don't trust this defense, at all.
How I miss the Pekerman days. :(

B

barcelonista

When Mascherano comes back, he should play as a CB. That would give them a bit of stability at the back.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Well said on both parts. I'm still not digging this Argentina, at all. I'm definitely curious to see how this holds up to some pressure though, Argentina has been the more effective team but I still don't trust this defense, at all.

it'd crumble like old paper. it's almost entirely reliant on Messi, Higuain and Di Maria to make something happen with their individual skill. and that kind of system is destined to fail when put up against a team that is solid in defence. on the break against a Chile team whose weak point is very definitely their defenders, they've made hay, but against Germany? or the Dutch? or even Spain ffs?

the defence is obviously horrible. Rojo and Otamendi could be very good if the other two were very good, but the other two are average at best. Musacchio needs to, like, hire Ayala as his personal coach. and, I dunno, they should try and convert one of the Da Silva Twins. or clone Isla.

and if they're gonna persist with 4231, they should find a better RW than Sosa. all respect to him n' everything, but... yeah.

How I miss the Pekerman days. :(

and during the Pekerman days, did you EVER think you'd find yourself saying that???

oh for an identity!!

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Instead of fighting over your obsession with Masch as a CB, I'm going to say this - it probably doesn't matter which position he plays in, since he'd just be leaving a hole in the other position. Argentina needs an all defense focused guy in the midfield, besides Mascherano they only seem to have Redondo types like Gago and virtually every DM prospect right now.

I guess they can make due with experimenting there though, because the CB options right now are quite frankly dreadful, their is some hope among young players though. And their fullbacks are all shit, except for the okay Rojo.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Fucking Higuan. :cry: The beast is back, I wonder if Mourinho is stupid enough to not start him in the clasico.

Home of Barca Fans