WC Qualifiers 2018 - South America

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Please explain the role of R.Alvarez(vs venezuela) and Sosa(vs chile) in Sabella's team. From what i understand they are your AMs deployed as wide midfielders. What do they bring to the table that a Pastore can't?

The advantage of having banega in the team is 2-fold. His playmaking ability means he's an extra creative outlet that can join attack if and when necessary. But, he's also defensively adept (so much better than Gago in this aspect). He can tackle, retrieve the ball, suffocate oppn play and be a pest much like Masch. He'd also distribute and feed the forwards. Players are there to execute tactical orders. He'd do whats asked of him. But with him, he's capable both fronts. I didn't see him aimlessly wander in the final third or needlessly interfere in the attack in the Chile game. He held his position for the most part.
He does lack discipline, but that can be eliminated with time and stern mentoring. But he needs to be played regularly. Gago had a couple of good games at the Copa but there is no guarantee he'd do so consistently. Instead, you prepare and mobilize a player, more talented and of greater use long term. I'll be genuinely surprised if Gago starts over Banega in Brazil.

Except he is not good tactically so all these points are invalid.

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
His showing against Barca suggests otherwise. Erratic yes, but I wouldn't say he's tactically dim.
I'll use one of Gio's favorite quotes on this:

"Barca is the exception, not the rule".
We all saw how tactically indisciplined Banega is when we saw Argentina fail badly in Copa America. Running in player's spaces, attacking way too much, taking bad decisions, poor passing etc..

and we also saw flashes of the player Gago is deemed to be. easily one of Argentina's best players after Masch, Messi and Aguëro. I see no reason to why Banega should be infront of Gago.

And I really don't understand the massive hard-on you have on Pastore, sure, he played greatly one half o the season at Palermo, but sucked the rest of it. That must surely mean something..

If both managers that have coached this team the last year haven't picked Pastore, it must surely mean something..

Damn Argentina, why do you suck so much at the back? Front three should never consist anyone of Lavezzi and di Maria..

W

Worms

Yes Gago was quality in the CA I thought,he needs to get the fuck out of Madrid he's wasting his career rotting on the bench,not even the bench in the stands lol

W

Worms

Here's the thing,if Argentina don't produce some good defenders and make a good back 4 by the time of the next WC what the fuck is Messi supposed to do?Even the team Maradona won the WC with could defend,Messi can't defend himself can he? Unless they try and outscore the other team in four knockout stages(unlikely with a shit defense) Messi will be screwed no matter how good he plays.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
His showing against Barca suggests otherwise. Erratic yes, but I wouldn't say he's tactically dim.

Umm, Valencia do not have Di Maria, Messi, Pastore, Cambiasso all on one team. All of which need their time on the ball, all are creative forces who need to be accomodated.

zanela

correctamundo.

You didn't address my post pertaining Ricky and Sosa.

Yes.

---Zabaleta-------------Garay---------------Fazio--------------Insua--

The same defense that got spanked by Nigeria few months ago. (I could've never guessed the LB in your proposed Backline. :lol:)

Anyway, time will tell if i called Banega correctly. But for now, I'll just trust my judgement on this one.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper

they're wide midfielders by trade.

Pastore isn't.

which is why Sabella uses them there, and not Pastore, who is a #10 and doesn't have the legs or the inclination to play there.

Anyway, time will tell if i called Banega correctly. But for now, I'll just trust my judgement on this one.

no one has denied his quality, merely the fact that he's more of a self-indulgent cockbag than a good Argentine #5 should be.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End

The same defense that got spanked by Nigeria few months ago. (I could've never guessed the LB in your proposed Backline. :lol:)

I didn't say it was a great back 4 but better than the previous one mentioned.

Home of Barca Fans